Gore, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, first post here, new member who's been mildly lurking the forums for a couple of months now...Quick and short of it, I was nagged for a pool long enough that I finally succumbed. I mean, I'm all for the pool, just thought I could push it off a few years...probably for the best though, got two littles who will absolutely love it!

After comparing manufacturers and styles we landed on a River Pools C40, we've had this on order as of mid-July. We are planning on a DIY install with our local PB/supplier consulting and certifying the install for the pool shell warranty. My father-in-law runs an excavation business and has dug several pools both inground and semi-inground. I personally am a mechanically minded individual who loves a challenge. Admittedly I do have a tendency, some may even say a passion for designing projects to be more difficult than needs to be...I'd like not to make this one any more difficult than necessary.

River Pools C40 - 16' x 40' - 17,000 Gallons (yellow dots indicate light positions on home side)

C40_BasicDiagram.jpg

My equipment list so far (open to suggestions)

Pentair Intelliflo 3hp var. spd. Pump
420 sq.ft. Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
Pentair IntelliCenter with i5PS Personality with IC40 Cell (2 IntelliValves)
2x Pentair Microbrite - 50' Cord
4x Pentair Microbrite - 100' Cord
2x Pentair MagicStream Laminar Color LED Light
12v Light Transformer
(plan to accommodate for the future addition of a heater and slide [models not chose])
Hayward Skimmer
3x Return Fittings

Current Layout Design

Screen Shot on 2021-09-09 at 11-11-59.png

I still have plenty of planning to do, still need to layout equipment, determine plumbing and electrical routing, also need to identify locations where skimmer/returns connect to pool.

Open to any thoughts, suggestions, or otherwise. Would love for someone to poke holes in this plan before we execute it.

***EDITED 9/14/21 - Add RiverPools Engineering Drawings and Digsheet***

Attachments

• RP_SealedDrawings_VA_9-13-21.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • DigSheet_C-40.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
If you have dogs - I'd recommend the skimmer that my PB used for a recent RiverPools install. The link is in my sig. It is a deeper skimmer basket with a built in (removable / long-lasting) custom "sock" but more like a pre-filter. Hard to explain. It catches TONS of dog hair. My dogs swim daily.

What direction is the prevailing winds?
I feel like this question doesn't offer a good response for some people because winds can change from day to day for some of us. I hunt a lot and know that a good spot today isn't a good spot tomorrow because of wind. I just wanted to throw that out there. :cool:

Reactions: Newdude
I never see a lot of discussion about the positives and negatives of overflows. My pool builder did not offer one and I did not think to ask for one. It is a real pain sometimes to worry about overflowing the pool and having to pump it out. This usually ends up with me out in the monsoon either putting in a extra pump to do it quickly or opening the hose bib on the pump. Then there is the constant worry about forgetting I am draining the pool and drain too much water out of it. In my case I would have just need 30' of strait pipe to get into a drainage system I installed for the entire house. It should have been a "no-brainer".... :rolleyes:

I feel like this question doesn't offer a good response for some people because winds can change from day to day for some of us. I hunt a lot and know that a good spot today isn't a good spot tomorrow because of wind. I just wanted to throw that out there. :cool:

Look at the way the runways are aligned on airports near you. Just about always the planes takeoff into the prevailing winds. Airport layouts are based on long term wind studies of a local area.

Where are the steps?

How does the pool slope?

What direction is the prevailing winds?

Look at the way the runways are aligned on airports near you. Just about always the planes takeoff into the prevailing winds. Airport layouts are based on long term wind studies of a local area.

@ajw22 I never gave much thought to the wind direction...will start gathering some data. Once acquired what's the objective, especially with more than one skimmer? With one skimmer I could see simply in the direction of the wind...Am I naive to think that they're simply going to be on one end and the other? Guess it all depends on the direction of the returns too?

I see I may be a little lite in the returns department per some other suggestions and builds I see. What are your thoughts? With a tanning ledge, steps, and a bench I assume I'd want a return or two at those locations to keep them clean but not sure about other locations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@ajw22 I never gave much thought to the wind direction...will start gathering some data. Once acquired what's the objective, especially with more than one skimmer? With one skimmer I could see simply in the direction of the wind...Am I naive to think that they're simply going to be on one end and the other? Guess it all depends on the direction of the returns too?

Usually prevailing winds are 70% from the primary direction and 30% from opposite direction so you bias the skimmers towards the 70%. Winds are also seasonal and you want to look at summer winds.

Runways around you run East to West and I think you would agree summer storms roll in from the South and West in your area.

Skimmer is often a compromise to pool layout and if you get the two skimmers within 45 to 90 degrees of the winds it should be fine.

I see I may be a little lite in the returns department per some other suggestions and builds I see. What are your thoughts? With a tanning ledge, steps, and a bench I assume I'd want a return or two at those locations to keep them clean but not sure about other locations.

Return flow does not have as much influence on surface skimming as winds and skimmer suction. Especially with the trend to run low pump RPM and flow most of the time.

3 or 4 returns are adequate for most pools positioned opposite and away from the skimmers.

Last edited:
I lucked-out with my install before I knew better. My skimmer is downwind. Take a couple ping pong balls or some packing peanuts and toss them on the water. Do that a couple days in the morning and evening. While some days are odd due to storm systems, you generally have a prevailing wind direction.

If you have dogs - I'd recommend the skimmer that my PB used for a recent RiverPools install. The link is in my sig. It is a deeper skimmer basket with a built in (removable / long-lasting) custom "sock" but more like a pre-filter. Hard to explain. It catches TONS of dog hair. My dogs swim daily.

Interesting, we do have a pair of water dogs.

maggie-coal.jpg

Do you have the venturi style or regular skimmer?

Does anyone else have any experience with the Paramount Paraskim-v skimmer good, bad, or otherwise?

Do you have the venturi style or regular skimmer?
It is venturi. I really don't see a vortex running in it (even though there is a return running to it). But the skimmer basket is deeper, twists to lock into place (so it won't float when pump is off), and does have a screening material that is 'firm' almost like a screen. I peel the dog hair off of it daily. If I miss a day, the dog hair is higher up the basket sides.

Dogs - they both dive to the bottom of the pool to retrieve. The Boykin Spaniel will swim without fetching, for 20min at a time. Just doing laps. The Belgian Malinois will lay on the tanning ledge to cool off, and when playing fetch will swim for hours (if your arm could last).

Attachments

• 20210824_193613.jpg
    20210824_193613.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 9
Bringing this one back for a minute. I am not sure the returns part of your question got answered. I have a ledge in mine as well. I didn't really choose where my returns were placed, but I have spent the full first season tweaking the eyeballs to maximize the skimming, and minimize the vacuuming. I have a return on each side that are near my tanning ledge. I am not sure if putting it in the tanning ledge would have been a great idea, because the plumbing would have been inches under the decking. But I do direct one eyeball to flow across the ledge. I point the opposite eyeball toward the opposite direction (away from ledge) and it keeps the ledge very clean since I have a couple cycles per day with higher pump speed. I end up with kindof a figure 8 with my 3.5 returns.

Any recommendations for finding an Intellicenter in stock with reasonable shipping costs?

I was quoted an IntelliCenter with i5PS Personality with IC40 Cell (2 IntelliValves) from Pool Supply Unlimited which is at least an 8-week special order item from them right now...While I can handle the wait as I won't really need the unit this season, I was more put off by their shipping charges. For the Intellicenter, 6 microbrites, and a 12v 300w transformer, they are charging just over $200 for shipping alone. Does this seem in line with what everyone else is seeing? Can't help but feel like the shipping is a bit much...

See what Polytec Pools in Nevada will quote.
Just placed an order for most of my equipment with Polytec, couldn't beat the tax and shipping savings over the other guys...

I am on the fence over one item...the pump. I was looking at getting the Pentair EC-011028, however, I can't seem to find anyone stocking. Polytec suggested a Sta-Rite Intellipro 013004, they said it was the exact same pump with a different front end. In all reality, I won't need the pump for quite some time, so I could wait for special order on the Pentair, but on the other hand, I could save a couple of dollars with the Sta-Rite...Any reason not to go with the Sta-Rite pump? I assume it will connect to the Pentair Intellicenter with out issue?

On another note, we got our building and electrical permit approved. Now just another 4-6 weeks for the shell to arrive...

Polytec advice is correct. Intelliflo or Intellipro pumps are basically identical.

Can you get a 011056 IntelliFlo pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.