Resurrecting AB Pool - Got a few questions!

Serwin

Apr 6, 2019
Indiana
Hey everyone I just bought a house that came with an above ground pool, which the previous owners abandoned and left it unmanaged. I've started resurrecting it and getting it ready for hopefully a fun summer. I'm running into some small issues that I think all boil down to not having a good FAS-DPD testing kit and not SLAM'ing long enough.

When I hooked up the pump the previous owners left it uncovered all winter (i'm near chicago for reference) and it was a nice green pond when I started. I was able to get the pump and filter hooked up and started the process of filling with fresh water and getting FC levels up. The pool is now blue but very cloudly, I think it's because I'm not SLAM'ing long enough but i'm not sure.

I don't have a FAS-DPD kit yet so I went to my local pool shop:

5/27: FC of 9.8
5/29: FC of 1.0

We also got about 8 inches of rain between those test too so I'm not sure if that's what caused my FC to bottom out.

Just have a few questions:
Should I invest in a FAS-DPD? (Pretty sure that's going to be a yes) But which one?
Should I re-SLAM?
Will SLAM solve my cloudyness?
Should I replace the sand in my filter now or after I get the pool clear? (not sure when if ever the sand was replaced)

Pool Specs are 13,600 gallon AB with sand filter.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Serwin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.