Jun 4, 2021
East Coast, Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello everyone-
I have a 13,000 gallon, above-ground, vinyl SWG pool located in east coast central Florida

I want to give a big thanks to the community. we filled our pool with well water, and used the pool store for chemicals guidance. The water balance was very off. As you all know, they sent me in circles! Once I found TFP and started lurking, I ordered your tf100 test kit and got my water looking great!

here are my test results from 10 a.m. this morning:
Salt content: 3,600 (sun salt recommends 3500 on front of unit)
PH 7.2 (I added acid to lower alkalinity last night, and am currently aerating back to 7.5)
Calcium Hardness: 250
Free Chlorine: 7
Total Alkalinity: 70
CYA: 70
There was one point where I did the SLAM process for two days, because something was eating up chlorine fast, and the walls started getting sort of slimy.
the SLAM process has been complete for a week, and the pool is looking and feeling great.

with a CYA of 70, i believe the target chlorine is 5. I am currently sitting at 7. I turned the salt generator on 50% this morning and plan to run it with the pump for 8 hours today. I’d like to get to the target FC, but my fear is in dropping below the target FC and running into algae issues again. Any tips on dialing this in are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

zach

Welcome to the forum!
Use PoolMath with your model SWCG and determine how long it takes to generate 4 ppm of FC per day. Start there and adjust SWCG as necessary. Test FC daily for awhile to get your chemistry dialed in.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Malabars
Your numbers look great! The target range is 5 but many people like to run hot and treat the 5 as their minimum. I do! Normally testing 7-9 FC.

The app can help but given you're starting in a good place I'd just suggest testing every day or two, and watching how the FC trends over time as compared also to the weather and swimmers in the pool. Then tweak the output % up or down 5% until it stays in the range you're looking for.

Your numbers look great! The target range is 5 but many people like to run hot and treat the 5 as their minimum. I do! Normally testing 7-9 FC.

The app can help but given you're starting in a good place I'd just suggest testing every day or two, and watching how the FC trends over time as compared also to the weather and swimmers in the pool. Then tweak the output % up or down 5% until it stays in the range you're looking for.
Ok great. I have no problem running it a little high! Thanks for the info.

Reactions: BenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.