Replacing Polaris Booster Front Housing

pfitz4

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
North Alabama
I have a leak on my Polaris booster pump. I found a hairline crack where the pipe connects to the front housing. I am ordering this replacement part:

Here is my main question:
My pump equipment is downhill from my pool. Water siphons out when anything is disconnected. I have ball valves on the pipes for my skimmers and wall drain, but water still siphons out even when these are closed. I do not have ball valves on the lines for the returns or the polaris booster pump. I've attached a picture of my setup. How can I keep the water from siphoning out when the booster is disconnected, so I can replace the part?

Second question: what is the recommended sealant for the quick-connect threads - teflon tape or clear silicone? Will I also need to apply some type of sealant to the surface of the housing when it is reinstalled?

IMG_0755.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Stick rubber plugs or potatoes in the returns and skimmer holes.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
You have valves on the suction that you can close.

Do you have valves on the Polaris and return lines that you can close?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Would the gizmos work?

No, Gizzmos are made for skimmer size holes which are smaller then the 1 1/2" return lines you need to plug.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Skimmers are 1.5" or 2".

Gizzmos are 1.5" or 2" or 1.5/2" combo.

There are probably plugs somewhere that are used for winterizing. Have you looked for those?

pfitz4

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
North Alabama
Oh! Of course...I do have the return plugs. I don’t know what I was thinking when I mentioned the gizmos.

So I just turn of the pump and plug all the holes? Do I need to set the multi-port valve on the pump to a certain setting?

Any idea about the best type of sealant (if any) for the threads and/or housing?

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Turn off the pump at the breaker and any switches.

Close the suction lines, plug the return and Polaris line.

You can use teflon tape and thread sealant on the threads.

Reactions: pfitz4
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.