Replacing a 2 speed with VS, that interfaces with iAquaLink. Possible?

Claysd

Mar 23, 2012
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello people of the internet!

I have a Hayward Super II Pump, 2.5HP, dual speed (see label).

It's about 11 years in service, and I think it's on it's way out - it's getting a little noisy (bearings?) and occasionally does not start - and just gets very hot instead. Right now I can usually let it cool off, and then start it again, and all is fine.

I have the iAquaLink 2.0 control / automation system (v1.5RS) which can control the low / high speed functions of this current pump. I originally had the AquaLink PDA, but changed a couple of years ago when the PDA finally gave up the ghost.

I am beginning to look at replacing this pump, and I would quite like a variable speed one. However I keep getting very confused with their ability to be controlled by an existing automation system.

What is the assembled wisdom here? The pool is small and I only need the throughput of the high speed end when running the waterfall feature (rare), cranking the heating up to max, or as a 1 hour skimmer boost to clear the pool surface of any debris. Most of the time low speed is great.

Do any pumps hook up to the iAqualink system that would let me control the RPM, or am I limited to the intelliflow and Jandy ePump?

If I got a Waterway PowerDefender 270, a) any reviews of that pump and b) what options would I have in controlling that from the iAquaLink app?

Alternatively, should I save cash and just replace the motor of the existing pump, or replace the whole thing with a 2-speed?

All thoughts / opinions appreciated!

20200702_090711 Copy.JPG

AFAIK your Aqualink can only control a Jandy or IntelliFlo VS pump.

If a 2 speed pump works for you and you can replace the motor then do that.

@PoolGate

Reactions: Claysd
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.