Replacement filter advice

Jun 13, 2018
Austin, Texas
I need to a replace an old Pentair FNS 60 DE filter after a hole burst in the lid. My MPV also needs replaced as it has been suffering slow leaks for years even after rebuilding with new O-rings.

I’m curious about changing to cartridge filter. I’m not opposed to staying with DE (no restrictions), but I certainly could do without dealing with DE.

My filter does take a lot a big particles of eroded patio stone that finds its way into the pool. They have the consistency of sand. Not sure if this will cause trouble with cartridge.

I have a 22,000 gallon pool and 1.5hp VS pump. I’ve got the following questions:

What is the sqft/gallons recommendation when sizing a cartridge filter?

Can/should cartridge filters be backwashed?

How often do the cartridges need replacement?

What makes/models are recommended?

Really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

Reactions: DavidArmenB
My filter does take a lot a big particles of eroded patio stone that finds its way into the pool. They have the consistency of sand.
Explain please. Sand doesn't float so it must be on the pool floor. How's it getting into the filter, are vacuuming it or what. In any case you'd want to keep it out of your plumbing.

Luke,

When I built the pool at my house, I was "forced" to go with a cartridge filter, due to City restrictions.. I was unhappy at the time. Now, 10 years later, I realize it was the best thing that could have happened...

Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing with no Multiport valve to go bad or leak. They have the lowest back pressure. No DE to screw with. No human on earth can visually tell the water quality difference between a DE filter and a large cartridge filter.

I will never buy another DE filter again.

Buy the largest cartridge filter you can afford. The bigger the better. You should only need to clean it once or twice a year. I have a CCP-520.

I changed my 4 cartridges after about 8 years, because I got antsy.. I could hardly tell any difference in the operation.. They really did not need to be replaced.. I would expect to get at least 8 years or more out of new cartridges.

I run mostly at 1200 RPM and my filter pressure at the speed is about one PSI. If I had a heater I'd have to run at 1500 RPM or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

+1 to everything here! Cartridge filters do a great job, don't have funky multiport valves, don't lose pool water when you clean them, and are simple to maintain and winterize (IMHO). I also try to look at the price of the replacement cartridges when ordering a new filter, since that will be the next purchase you will make (though it will be years down the road). Find any cartridge filter where the cartridges are shared by other filters or where generics are available so they are less expensive.

Tagging along as for I have the same DE filter and thinking about a change this year. When pool was built it had a cartridge with 4 large ones. We changed to DE many years ago as for we had a large oak tree in backyard and it seemed like it gave the filters heck. Also 22 years ago or so they were expensive to replace. I am sure they have come down from those days or I would hope so.

Wonder if the Pentair 520 would connect right up to the incoming and outgoing ports already in place on my FNS 60 plus. Would like to not have to replumb since plumbing is all new at this point.

Let us know what you go with and your thoughts?

Last edited:
What is the sqft/gallons recommendation when sizing a cartridge filter?
Get the largest filter you can afford. I have the CCP520 and it works great.

Can/should cartridge filters be backwashed?
No, there is no backwashing. I rinse the filters once a year (I could push it to 18 months if needed). I deep clean once every three years. Maintenance and cleaning is very easy, straightforward, and infrequent.

How often do the cartridges need replacement?
I expect my filters to last a decade.

Tagging along as for I have the same DE filter and thinking about a change this year. When pool was built it had a cartridge with 4 large ones. We changed to DE many years ago as for we had a large oak tree in backyard and it seemed like it gave the filters heck. Also 22 years ago or so they were expensive to replace. I am sure they have come down from those days or I would hope so.

Wonder if the Pentair 520 would connect right up to the incoming and outgoing ports already in place on my FNS 60 plus. Would like to not have to replumb since plumbing is all new at this point.

Let us know what you go with and your thoughts?
While the ports may line up as they use a similar tank, the inlet and outlet are opposites between them. The cartridge filter has the tank inlet on the top fitting, the D.E. on the bottom. You CAN NOT plumb it reversed or the cartridges will be destroyed.

Thanks all for the information. I’ll go ahead and change to cartridge. I’m looking at the CCP520 and equivalent Waterway. They look the same but Waterway is significantly cheaper. Anyone have experience between these? Is the waterway lacking in quality or filtration particle size?

Also curious what is the recommended valve to put in front of the filter? I have a leaking MPV I was planning to change out. If backwashing is not desired for cartridge, do you run a 3-way to allow waste dumping or just plumb straight into the filter?

Thanks!

+1 Just to pile on, I have natural sandstone deck and coping. It flakes and sheds. I guess it must migrate to the main drains somehow (maybe my suction cleaner sweeps it), because when I wash out my CCP 320 (about twice a year; we also have big trees all around) there's a bit of sand-like sludge there. Causes zero problems. I replaced the filters when we moved in. There's some evidence they were 14 years old.

Go for it, and good luck.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all for the information. I’ll go ahead and change to cartridge. I’m looking at the CCP520 and equivalent Waterway. They look the same but Waterway is significantly cheaper. Anyone have experience between these? Is the waterway lacking in quality or filtration particle size?

Also curious what is the recommended valve to put in front of the filter? I have a leaking MPV I was planning to change out. If backwashing is not desired for cartridge, do you run a 3-way to allow waste dumping or just plumb straight into the filter?

Thanks!
Personally and professionally, I match equipment. That would be my humble recommendation. CCP520 is a fine, non-fussy assembly other than the drain location.

I would install the 3-way with a female threaded slip & plug on the spare before the inlet. It makes for quick work if you want to vac to waste or quickly drop your pool after rain etc. You may not use it often, but the couple times you may, it'll be nice to have.

Last edited:
You may not use it often, but the couple times you may, it'll be nice to have.
+1. My PB put one in on my first pool when I had zero clue about anything. While not frequent it was worth its weight in gold when the need arose and it was a non negotiable item on build #2.

Screenshot_20240202_091020_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
But its not used for backwashing correct? Just the one time a year where the rain wont stop and we need to let water out of the pool before it runs over.

Only way to clean is remove them and spray them off?

But its not used for backwashing correct
Correct. Only quick draining and vacuuming heavy debris to waste, like at spring opening when it accumulated over the off season. That's like 8 days for you in DFW, but still. Lol.
Only way to clean is remove them and spray them off
Yes. But with large cart(s) it's a once a year thing and only because it's good practice. I could go years without cleaning with light debris.

Thanks!
All cartridge filters use the same type of cartridge material, especially after the first set and the much less expensive aftermarket brands are installed.
No valve needed for a cartridge filter.
Waterway cartridge filters are good, but like their pumps, slightly less expensive.

Luke,

I have two rent house pools that have old DE filters that just won't die.. :( When they do, they will be replaced by large Waterway cartridge filters.

Having a manual valve between the pump and the filter also allows you to open your pump lid without the filter draining back into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.