Replace working 20 year old light fixture during pool remodel?

Strategerizer

Jul 1, 2021
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,

I am going to re-plaster/tile my pool and need to make some decisions about my existing lights and if I should consider replacing aging fixtures/lamps or keep as is until they actually fail.

I have original (about 20 years old) pool and spa light fixture, I think from Jandy. Replaced incandescent lamp with RGB LED about 5 years ago. Lights seem to be working fine so far... Should I take advantage of remodel (pool/spa will get drained and re-plastered) and upgrade? Scenarios:
  • Replace 5 year old RGB LED lamps (not sure what brand) with new RGBW LED lamps like J&J ColorSplash?
  • Replace 20 year old light fixtures with new ones, like the J&J ColorSplash?
  • Keep lights as they are and replace lamp or fixture only when they fail at a later date?
Note that I am also planning to upgrade my Jandy AquaLink RS controller to the new iAquaLink 3.0 that will allow me to operate my pool/spa remotely over the web. This upgrade will then allow me to more easily control light color on the new LEDs.

I would pull the lights when the pool is drained and examine then for condition and decide if they need to be replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.