Replace check valve with no space

Matt_21

May 17, 2021
CA
My Spa is draining back into the pool and I'm pretty certain it's due to the bypass from pool to spa on the return side and the check valve has gone bad.
Unfortunately there's no space at all to cut it out and put a new one in with couplings without having to cut out way more.
I looked for inside couplings but unfortunately they don't seem to exist anywhere (Lowe's, Home Depot, several Plumbing stores).

I'd like to use one of those check valves you can screw in and replace easily so that requires even more space but I really don't want to cut out everything.
One idea would have been to cut the elbows and go up and then back down but I'm afraid I'm loosing too much head as the Spa waterfall is already a bit on the weak side.

Any suggestions on how to best replace this without having to cut out everything and without loosing much head?

Attachments

• Img.jpg
    Img.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 31
Cut your pipe just behind each elbow. Cut as straight as possible so each stub is the same length.
Add one of these to each side (they glue inside the piece of pipe left):
Install a Jandy or Jandy-type check valve for easier maintenance the next time.
Yes, they are pricey, but have saved me many times. Add a coupler to each one and install your new check valve with new elbows, etc.

Reactions: Matt_21
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.