Removing water based paint from pool

aquaN00b

Gold Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
VA
Hello all. A buddy of mine sprayed my wooden pool fence with a water based stain (Benjamin Moore Arborcoat) and now there's a nice layer of paint on the entire surface of the water. Looking for Ideas for cleanup. So far I've left the pump running for 24 hours. I have a DE filter and the pressure hasn't gone up but not much paint has been removed either. I have a silt net scooper on order and a pack of skimmer socks. I also have a Dolphin Nautalis but not sure if the paint will ruin it. I mostly was thinking of using to get the pool moving more to get the Crud into the skimmer. I'm fairly confident my filter can take it, it's a beast. I'll take the whole thing apart and clean the grids too if needed. I'll try to post some pics later as it's raining pretty hard right now.

I read the post about overspray on here and using one of the oil soakers in the skimmer, but that was for oil base paint and this is waterbase so wasn’t sure if that would help.

To add even more to my stress level, my kids birthday party is next weekend. i’ve already dumped a lot of extra FC in there in anticipation of a SLAM after I get it all out

So I noticed today when I brushed the steps in the shallow end that a bunch of white clouds kicked up which is paint I'm sure. Im not able to tell if the deeper parts have them.

I'm considering flocculating the pool. Any one think it's unneeded? Pool looks really clear but maybe my judgement is off. I hate the idea of kids swimming in paint clouds...

I am sorry no one has answered yet.

Scum bugs may work for something like this. Put them in our skimmer to help catch the stuff. Amazon.com : Rola Chem TB-1-24 Scumbug Oil Absorbing Sponge for Swimming Pools : Swimming Equipment : Garden & Outdoor

You cannot use a floc unless you have a way to vacuum to waste. If you try to take the floc to the filter it will mess up even your beast of a filter :(

No worries, I kinda answered it myself until today when I noticed it was still in there. I have a multi port valve with recirculate and vacuum to waste. I just wonder if it's necessary to floc. I'm not sure this stuff is making it to filter and too small to be picked up or just sitting on the bottom. Pool is crystal tho, so I'm not sure if I want to screw that up. Since my equipment is floc friendly I thought maybe it will put my mind at ease

I read somewhere tennis balls will soak up the oil. Not sure how many it would take

There's no oil, it's a water based stain called Arborcoat so I'm not sure any oil catchers are going to do anything. I was thinking the floc might bind to it and make it easier to vacuum out. Of course I could just try skipping the floc and running the manual vacuum to waste, I just wouldn't be able to tell if I'm actually getting anything out because it'd be hard to see

Have you tried vacuuming to your filter yet? DE filters are generally pretty good at getting the small stuff out. If that doesn't work I'd try vacuuming to waste next.

I haven't yet. Mostly because I thought it was all out. I had been running my dolphin Nautilus a bunch and I thought it had dissipated and got filtered but when I brushed it kicked up some clouds. I'm going to manual vacuum today the only issue is that I can't see any of it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try contacting the manufacturer of the stain. My $.02 is that if you can clean it up with soap and water normally, then it will dissolve in the pool and be oxidized by the chlorine. However, I'm not a chemist. I'd still contact the manufacturer for peace of mind.

Reactions: aquaN00b
I have got fine dust, after they ground my pool deck , from mine by turning off the pump and slowly brushing toward the bottom drain..Then once it's settled set system to go to waste or even filter and brush it all in the main drain if that makes sense..Take time for it to settle and I had to do it a few times but got it all out.

Reactions: aquaN00b
Since you have a special circumstance, I suggest clarifier (not flocculent). Clarifier is handled differently than floc. You run the pump with clarifier and then when the filter catches the stuff you backwash like normal.

Since you have a special circumstance, I suggest clarifier (not flocculent). Clarifier is handled differently than floc. You run the pump with clarifier and then when the filter catches the stuff you backwash like normal.

I agree! I picked some up this morning. Just waiting for the rain to take its leave then I'm going to manual vacuum to waste along the bottom a bit and add the clarifier. Thanks friend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.