Remove stains from plaster pool

TurboMatt

Apr 11, 2019
Frederick Maryland
After several weeks, my pool water is finally looking good! All of the water chemical levels are excellent, per my test results and the local pool supply. Anyway, I'm now left with stains all over the plaster floor and part of the walls. What are my best options to help alleviate some of the staining without draining the pool? I would like to put off draining the pool until fall, if possible.

This is what I started with.

This is how things look as of this morning.

An elevated level of CL will get rid of organic stains slowly over time.

Somewhere between the top of your target FC and SLAM FC.

I would not recommend holding the pH artificially low for a week. Just raise the FC and they will go away. Pool Owner Patience! :)

If there are particularly "bad" spots you can put a puck on them for 15-30 minutes and it will go faster.

To remove organic stains raise the FC up between 60% and 100% of shock level for your CYA, Chlorine / CYA Chart, and brush often, daily if you can.

Be patient. It can take a season.

I am completely fine with it taking time. My concern is basically the best way to alleviate them. So if shock is around 10-12 ppm, should I plan to keep the CL around 6-8 ppm?

I would go 6-9 ppm. You want to keep FC below 10 ppm as pH test becomes unreliable after 10 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vitamin C tablets are for metal stains, puck/elevated FC are for organic stains. Seeing that TurboMatt posted that there was leaf debris on the bottom of the pool and looking at the video, it's very very likely organic staining. Vit-C won't hurt anything to try, but I'll bet it's not going to do anything.

If that worked I would do as others r saying and sit back and relax. If u leave the puck on too long u can hurt the plaster also. I would just raise the fc level. At least that way u are also keeping the pool water clean also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.