Sgtlyn

Jun 9, 2019
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a RayPak 406a and it is having an issue, sometimes when I start it up it acts like a gas grill that the gas was on too long before hitting the ignite button and makes that "whoosh" sound. Any ideas what may be wrong?

Last edited:
I have a RayPak 406a and it is having an issue, sometimes when I start it up it acts like a gas grill that the gas was on too long before hitting the ignite button and makes that "whoosh" sound. Any ideas what may be wrong?
Four hundred thousand BTU of gas lighting can be loud. If this is a new, louder, sound it is most likely clogged orifices at the right side burner(s). That is the side the ignition source (pilot light) is on. Gas is building from the left until you get explosive ignition. The clog is usually spider web, which is inflammable. Has to be cleared manually.

Thank you and yes it is louder than it normally was before, I will look for the clog then. It was just weird to me that it does not do it every time.
The next time you light the heater, remove the door and look carefully at the burners. It takes getting very low. You will probably see that some, especially the one on the far right, have no flame. The pilot is on that burner. On Ray Pak heaters it may take removing the whole burner tray to get at the orifices. If you can, use a piece of copper wire to just clean the very tiny opening in the brass orifice.

The next time you light the heater, remove the door and look carefully at the burners. It takes getting very low. You will probably see that some, especially the one on the far right, have no flame. The pilot is on that burner. On Ray Pak heaters it may take removing the whole burner tray to get at the orifices. If you can, use a piece of copper wire to just clean the very tiny opening in the brass orifice.
Thank you, I removed the burner and took all the rails out and cleaned them and the orifices. It is better but it still does it?

From a safe distance, like about six feet, with the door open lay on the ground so you can see the entire burner tray. Do NOT do this closer unless you no longer like your eyebrows, eyelashes, eyes, hair, etc. The best/safest way is with a mirror, but its hard to see the entire burner tray with one. Have someone turn the heater on. It should light quickly from right to left, or virtually instantly on all burners (that's when the sound is loudest). If the right side doesn't light first, gas will build up and you will experience "explosive" ignition. That's when it can jump out of the unit with the door off and get you if too close.

At times those heaters came with "slow opening" gas valves but over time no longer open slowly, but all at once, and you get what you are experiencing, a big "whoosh." It may be your new normal. If all the burners are lit and no flame jumps out, there should be no problem running the heater.

You don't say (or I missed) how old the heater is. The openings in the burners can get larger over time and allow more gas out than they used to. You'll get more noise that way as wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.