Raypak 406A - Low Nox Tab Fault Code

heathjudeh

Mar 2, 2020
Atlanta
Hi All,

I have a one-year-old Raypak 406A heater that has been great until last Sunday, 5/19. The heater worked perfectly up until the day before with no issues whatsoever. All of a sudden, I went to fire it up on Sunday and noticed a code on the display that says "Lownox Tab Fault."

I read up online a bit and figured I'd look at the motherboard behind the screen to see if there were any burn marks, cracked wires, etc. I flipped the board down and didn't see anything out of place. I then reset the fault codes and heater per the manual's directions and tried to restart (on/off)—the same code reappeared.

I decided to look at the board one more time, and when I did, I accidentally pulled the green wire (top of the board) from its connector (not sure which sensor this is). I plugged it back in, and all of a sudden, the heater fired up and began to work. It ran for a few minutes, and then, it cut off again with the same code. Decided I would pull the same sensor wire and reconnect again and see what happens. I couldn't believe it but the heater stayed on, didn't throw the code again, and worked great the rest of the day.

I finished using the pool, cut the heater off, and turned in for the night. The next morning, sure enough, the code was back, and the heater was inoperable. I haven't tried pulling that wire again, as obviously something is wrong. Can you give me any direction on how to diagnose/repair it?

Thanks!

Can you give us a hint as to the wire you keep pulling and a pic of where it is connected on the board?

P1 goes to the water sensor.

Is the Low NOX tab broken off your board?

Is anything connected to the LowNOX connector next to the tab?

IMG_0010.png

IMG_0011.png

P1 goes to the water sensor.

Is the Low NOX tab broken off your board?

Is anything connected to the LowNOX connector next to the tab?

View attachment 576534

View attachment 576535
Another crazy thing to mention is that all of a sudden, the code is not showing anymore, and the heater is working as normal. It's so confusing!

I'm assuming this will likely happen again so hoping to get to the bottom of it either way!

Another crazy thing to mention is that all of a sudden, the code is not showing anymore, and the heater is working as normal. It's so confusing!

I'm assuming this will likely happen again so hoping to get to the bottom of it either way!
Gremlins in the board.