Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

I am sure I am not the only one who has had a lot of rain so far this season. My husband and father-in-law have both been in hospital this past month as well. Needless to say I haven’t been maintaining pool like usual. Overall the water has remained sparkling for the most part. I have randomly added chlorine as I can, and cleaning pool, Dolphin. Anyway, with all the rain, will probably also have to drain pool soon as well.

Just wondering how others combat daily rain/storms?

Thanks!

Rain does not affect the chemistry that much unless you get HUGE amounts. Lately in FL we have been averaging .5 to 1 inch per day. I have not changed my methods.

Your statement of randomly adding chlorine is the most worrisome. You should be testing and adding chlorine as necessary (ideally daily).

Reactions: pooldv
Thank you for input! I am hoping to be able to check tonight if rain holds off. We have had huge amounts of rain here daily and storms. With both my father-in-law and husband in the hospital the past couple of weeks, has been a challenge.

Thank you again.

What I tell my wife while I am traveling is just use the simple OTO test that comes with the TF-100. Based on my CYA level the chlorine test needs to be a dark yellow. If it is not add 1/2 gallon of chlorine (as the guy above said probably 3/4 of a gallon for you). If the PH is bright pink then add a few cups of acid. It only takes a few minutes to test and add the chemicals. Those few minutes will save you a lot of time when everyone gets better and comes home.

This is not a long term strategy but if you are overwhelmed and the primary pool caretakers or out this is a good way to limit your risk.

Thanks everyone. We finally had a break - we have been getting about 1-3 inches of rain a day,some days have been more. Adjusted pH, then rechecked and was good. Chlorine good. We seem to need to had 1/2 gal to a gal a day, so that is what I was going by. I know this sounds odd, but I always use the small kit that tests pH and chlorine with the big kit, as I like the chlorine test of the big kit. I didn’t think about just using the small kit. Now if rain would stop so we could swim! Thank you! ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.