Purchasing our very first pool (with a house)

A number of Ace Hardware stores in the Portland area show in stock HTH Chlorinating Liquid. 10% -- $6 -- so not a great price. But available.

Y'all our pool is looking so nice! That said, I give full credit to the pool maintenance company the previous owner hired that we're continuing to use until things settle. 😅 IDK if I mentioned this before, but the reason our pool was turning green is because the company came every other week and the previous owner would handle things otherwise. The company didn't realize the owner had moved out and kept on with the same schedule, but went to weekly visits once they realized things were amiss.

I'm hoping to get set up with a crash course so we know what all of our equipment is and how to use it properly. And start testing again on a regular basis so we can make it prettier. I was happy to find a Taylor test kit left behind by the previous owners under the kitchen sink.

Oh! Can someone direct me to the info as to why the chlorine smell is bad? I feel like I remember reading that chlorine smell in a pool = people peeing in a pool and sanitization not keeping up or something along those lines, but I can't remember where I found that info.

Reactions: kimkats
Y'all our pool is looking so nice! That said, I give full credit to the pool maintenance company the previous owner hired that we're continuing to use until things settle. 😅 IDK if I mentioned this before, but the reason our pool was turning green is because the company came every other week and the previous owner would handle things otherwise. The company didn't realize the owner had moved out and kept on with the same schedule, but went to weekly visits once they realized things were amiss.

I'm hoping to get set up with a crash course so we know what all of our equipment is and how to use it properly. And start testing again on a regular basis so we can make it prettier. I was happy to find a Taylor test kit left behind by the previous owners under the kitchen sink.

Oh! Can someone direct me to the info as to why the chlorine smell is bad? I feel like I remember reading that chlorine smell in a pool = people peeing in a pool and sanitization not keeping up or something along those lines, but I can't remember where I found that info.
He didn't leave you a test kit under the sink cuz he never had a reason to have a Real reason to have one. The smell you speak of is CC which is the chlorine burning at organics left in the water aka algae.

:hug: @wireform I know you knew it as you are TFP :rockon: rock star. I had to tease you about it and let the OP know it could be pee since they mentioned it. Of course since they had been dealing with the water being out of level and seeing possible algae it is probably algae causing it.

Haha, thanks for your responses. :)

We did a test today, for the first time in 2 weeks apparently, but can do them regularly again going forward.

FC: 2.5
pH: 7.3
TA: 80
CH: 275
CYA: 45

We also found the chemical stash left by the previous owners today. We have:
GLB 3" tablets (99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione, 1% other)
Hasa Muriatic acid (I didn't get a % if that exists, but I can go look again if needed)
GLB pH Down
GLB Natural Clear clarifier (empty)
GLB Stain Magnet (empty)
Hasa Super Stain-Out
OdorZout (IDK if this is pool related or not)

So FC seems low, but the others are OKish? We do have the liquid chlorine on hand as well. We need to confirm with the pool company, but I believe our pool is about 10,000 gallons.

Never use clarifier, "Stain Out" or "Stain Magneet" again. The only things you need for your pool are Chlorine, Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer), Baking Soda, and Muriatic Acid. That's it! Keep posting away with test results, and pics of the pool/water. Plenty of people here will help get you on the right track. And, Congrats on the purchase of your new home!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never use clarifier, "Stain Out" or "Stain Magneet" again. The only things you need for your pool are Chlorine, Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer), Baking Soda, and Muriatic Acid. That's it! Keep posting away with test results, and pics of the pool/water. Plenty of people here will help get you on the right track. And, Congrats on the purchase of your new home!!!

Oh, we didn't! We've only used the liquid chlorine. The rest of the stuff is from the previous owner. :) The pool company did throw a couple of the pucks in before we could catch him, but that's it so far.

Haha, thanks for your responses. :)

We did a test today, for the first time in 2 weeks apparently, but can do them regularly again going forward.

FC: 2.5
pH: 7.3
TA: 80
CH: 275
CYA: 45

We also found the chemical stash left by the previous owners today. We have:
GLB 3" tablets (99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione, 1% other)
Hasa Muriatic acid (I didn't get a % if that exists, but I can go look again if needed)
GLB pH Down
GLB Natural Clear clarifier (empty)
GLB Stain Magnet (empty)
Hasa Super Stain-Out
OdorZout (IDK if this is pool related or not)

So FC seems low, but the others are OKish? We do have the liquid chlorine on hand as well. We need to confirm with the pool company, but I believe our pool is about 10,000 gallons.
So if the testing was done right the numbers are good but CYA is considered 50 and for that you'll need to target an FC of 6-8 . Adding 50 ounces of 12.5% chlorine will get you close. I'd do a an OCLT at your earliest to be sure nothing algae wise is brewing in its early stage having a FC of 2.5

Husband did the test while I watched/supervised and we're both in science fields so I'm confident in the results. :) Thanks for pointing out that CYA 45 = 50 -- I didn't notice they weren't ranges. We've got 10% chlorine on hand and put some in tonight -- we're not sure what our pool volume is so we were probably a little more conservative but I'm glad we at least made the right choice (husband was like "Let's use the tablets!" and I was like "NO! Read the pool school basics first!" and then he agreed with me, haha!).

I'm pretty sure there is algae, based on the fact that there was algae in the pool a couple of weeks ago when we moved in. Come to think of it, we were going to SLAM and then never did. Do we need to do that now?

Appears you have a Polaris 280, they have rebuild kits depending on age/condition of yours, I rebuilt my 380 last year it reminded me of building toy models as a kid, pretty easy to do if you want/need to go that route
and my water level would be middle of strainer or those decorative diamonds thereabouts.

Last edited:
Get out the tape measure and do some measuring. Share them here and we can get you close. Then we will tweak the size down to at least 100 gal. close with the chemical additions.

I would do the OCLT then decide if you need to SLAM Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

What measurements do you need? We have a kidney shaped pool with a deep end. I wasn't having a ton of luck finding calculators for those online and I don't want to math that out. 😅

Appears you have a Polaris 280, they have rebuild kits depending on age/condition of yours, I rebuilt my 380 last year it reminded me of building toy models as a kid, pretty easy to do if you want/need to go that route
and my water level would be middle of strainer or those decorative diamonds thereabouts.

Thanks! I'll mention that to husband -- it sounds fun. :) The picture I posted is a couple weeks old when we'd just moved in -- it's got the right amount in it now (after some had to evaporate when husband forgot to shut the hose off 🤦‍♀️)

"cut" the pool in half or thirds. Measure the depth of each area along with the width and length. Put the measurements into pool math one area at a time. Let it do the math from you. Then add it up and share that info here.

Morning y'all! Post and run since I'm at work, but can you confirm that we need to slam?

Last night's FC (9pm) was 5.5.

This mornings numbers (615am)
FC 3.5
Calcium 325
Alkalinity 90
Cya 50

Pump was run at least 30 mins before each test.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.