Purchasing our very first pool (with a house)

Y'all I'm not ready for pool season to end! We're in Portland, OR and our pool person said in previous years it worked well to run the pump for a couple of hours each day, add chemicals as needed, and vacuum/brush/skim because our pool doesn't have a cover. If we're doing all of that is it really closing a pool? It just seems like we're more . . . hibernating the pool since everything except the cleaning slows down.

And if that's what we're doing, could we continue to swim in the winter since we have a heater? Obvs we wouldn't heat all winter, but maybe plan for a weekend of swimming here or there.

Also, bringing the pool to shock level before our trip worked perfectly. We came home to a gorgeous pool, so thank you for helping us with that process. :)

Hmmm . . . so it's definitely possible, then. We're certainly warmer than Ohio -- our coldest months are December - February, and even then it's usually highs of mid-40s, lows in the mid-30s.

I assume algae growing potential slows down with cooler temperatures and the general PNW gloominess that will take over. Does our target FC level stay the same in winter, or does it drop a bit?

ETA: And keeping a pool open in Ohio would make me nervous! At least it rarely gets below freezing here. 🥶

Hmmm . . . so it's definitely possible, then. We're certainly warmer than Ohio -- our coldest months are December - February, and even then it's usually highs of mid-40s, lows in the mid-30s.

I assume algae growing potential slows down with cooler temperatures and the general PNW gloominess that will take over. Does our target FC level stay the same in winter, or does it drop a bit?

ETA: And keeping a pool open in Ohio would make me nervous! At least it rarely gets below freezing here. 🥶
I have no real experience since I live in MN where it definitely gets below freezing :) But - that said - just make sure you have a plan B just in case you get an unusual extended freeze... Keeping water moving is the main thing, but what if you have a power outage... If need be, be ready to disconnect pump/filter and drain water out of pipes!!

I have no real experience since I live in MN where it definitely gets below freezing :) But - that said - just make sure you have a plan B just in case you get an unusual extended freeze... Keeping water moving is the main thing, but what if you have a power outage... If need be, be ready to disconnect pump/filter and drain water out of pipes!!
Oh! We actually have a backup generator. I keep forgetting about that which is why I alternate between being super nervous about doing it when I remember the horror stories from my friends in Texas last winter, and then much more OK with it. 😅 I grew up in the midwest so I know the freezing temperatures are legit!

Reactions: TexEdmond
Oh! We actually have a backup generator. I keep forgetting about that which is why I alternate between being super nervous about doing it when I remember the horror stories from my friends in Texas last winter, and then much more OK with it. 😅 I grew up in the midwest so I know the freezing temperatures are legit!
I probably should have a backup generator of some sort here in the Midwest, but have just never really looked into it. If power goes out for an extended period in the middle of winter, the house could get pretty cold pretty quickly!

Oh! We actually have a backup generator. I keep forgetting about that which is why I alternate between being super nervous about doing it when I remember the horror stories from my friends in Texas last winter, and then much more OK with it.
Sounds like y'all are in a really good spot considering. We bought our new house with pool a year ago, but I didn't find TFP until June. Lucky you! I'm sure you've got it under control, both of you sound like you're on the same page and know your stuff. If your generator is whole-house, you're 100% good to go, the only thing I'd mention is that a lot of pool equipment requires 220v power which not all generators provide. I'm sure you've got a plan or hardware already in place to safely get generator power into your panel without anyone getting hurt. That's one of the big projects I need to get done before it gets cold here again. Moving from the Seattle area to OKC has reminded me how good we had it meteorologically up there...

I don't know how it pertains to PNW pools, but I remember moss growing and taking over roofs and yards was a big deal and continual battle. I would imagine that might be a specific regional issue, but I have no frame of reference for that.

Congrats on the house and the move. Good luck with selling the previous house. Welcome to the club!

I'm in a similar winter climate I've never closed my pool, I just keep the debris out and keep FC and pH in check. Chlorine demand is very low in the winter months. If overnight Temps are going to dip below freezing, I run the pump overnight to keep that warm water circulating through the above ground pipes.

Pool was 76 degrees this morning, still swimming. But I see a wetsuit in my near future.

Pool was 76 degrees this morning, still swimming. But I see a wetsuit in my near future.
Stay strong, fellow polar bear. I find when the air temps start getting down in the 60s something happens to my metabolism and I'm able to really enjoy cold pool water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.