Purchasing our very first pool (with a house)

Vanti

Jul 19, 2021
Portland, OR
I'm so happy I stumbled across this site! We're in the process of buying a house that has pool, and know nothing about owning a pool other than what I've read here over the past couple of days. We have the information for the company that was maintaining the pool, and I think we'll probably use them in the beginning because 1) things are chaotic and crazy right now 2) we noticed in our appraisal pictures that the owners stopped pool maintenance and it's turning green. :rolleyes: Moving is stressful enough right now and we don't have the bandwidth to deal with it on our own.

That said, we do hope to manage our own pool starting next season. What are the basics that every pool owner should have in terms of tools/equipment? Right now that seems to be the most overwhelming -- I know we'll be able to figure the equipment out by Googling once we move in. I ordered the TF-100 test kit. I keep seeing things about brushing our pool. Brushing? How does one brush the deep end? Do I brush everywhere? How often? Do I need one of those floaty things for chlorine, and are the cute rubber ducky ones really OK? I don't know if our pool has lights, and I like glowy things. Can we add lights later? What's a skimmer sock? And I don't understand using hairnets -- is that essentially the same thing as a skimmer sock? I thought skimmers were the things on poles. We're in Portland, OR and my partner in crime wants to swim in the winter -- can we do that or do I need to work harder on getting a hot tub? Rain messes up pH? Because it's rains a lot here in the winter and I've also seen that a pool overflowing is bad? Backwashing with drinks is gross but it sounds like something that might be necessary for pools? How do I figure out how many gallons our pool is if it's a kidney bean shape? See? Basics are throwing me for a loop.

I did contact the pool maintenance company to see if they had any concerns about the pool that we should be aware of. They were super nice and helpful, and did mention that there are plenty of chemicals and supplies on hand. But, are there any must haves that I should run out and buy once we get into the house and can see what's there? I'm not even sure if we have a chlorine or SWG (I did manage to figure that out from the Google!) pool at this point. Y'all, help please!

HI and WELCOME!!!! What a fun adventure you are on! You are already doing it right by getting the great test kit!

Here is a link to get you started learning how to care for a pool:

Here is a link to a basic pool care schedule. Please note this is just a base. Each pool has different needs so you will adjust as you learn your pool:

Now look down at my signature to find all kinds of wonderful links for pool owners.

See if you can go take a pic or 5 of your equipment and grab a cup of pool water. We can help you id the equipment and can find out how high your CYA is so we can get you off to the right start with your new pool!

When do you close?

Thanks for the welcome! I think I've read all of those links but I still need to make husband read them because he's the more science-ey one. :) We're hoping to find out our closing date today. *fingers crossed* As soon as it's ours I plan to go back and take pictures of all the things pool related, and look at the house again, because I've only seen it once. 😅

Reactions: TexEdmond
Go ahead and order your TF100 test kit from tftestkits.com (or Taylor K2006C) so you have it ready. I'd have your realtor remind the current owners' that they must continue to maintain the pool; or you'll likely need to request compensation for the time, effort and cost of remediation. You'll also want to start looking for 10% of higher Liquid Chlorine sources, as you'll likely start out needing to SLAM the pool.

Once you have a picture of the current pool pad, more advice is possible. But definitely have your test kit ready for move-in if the current owners' are allowing a giant algae bloom.

Go ahead and order your TF100 test kit from tftestkits.com (or Taylor K2006C) so you have it ready.

I ordered it yesterday and it's already on it's way. We're in the process of setting the closing date for later this week, but the listing agent gave us the go-ahead to have the previous pool company come in so they can get to work. I know they should maintain it, but honestly this house is our dream so we're not going to rock the boat.

Hey Vanti and Welcome !!! No matter what we can fix the water. We got you now. Good luck with the moving/closing details. I did it in September and it was miserable for all the things my financial well being hinged on, and I had ZERO control of. Lol.

Hi there and welcome! Congrats on the new house and pool!

I was in your boat just over a year ago. We bought a house with a pool and neither of us ever had a pool. A combined 0 days of pool ownership and maintenance. The prior owner opened the pool a few days before closing in April and it was swamp green, like couldn't even see the bottom green. Even with the stress of moving and let's not forget, this was right in the huge upswing of COVID as everything was shutting down, we still managed to clear that swamp ourselves and minimize our pool costs.

If you are going to let the pool company maintain your pool, don't be surprised if you have problems next year. Many of them throw a few tabs in a floater and call it a day. If the pool is green, they will probably add some powdered shock, try to sell you a ton of other chemicals and magic potions, and hope for the best.

Also, talk to your real estate agent - you might want to try writing in that they have to continue maintaining the pool until settlement. That's like the seller who stops mowing the lawn and is just not in good faith.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome! You have taken the biggest step needed, TFP is great! We were in the same situation 2 years ago. Bought a home with a pool, no prior experience with pools. With the help of this site, we have clear water and minimal cost. A few things we learned along the way. Test kit is a must, your doing it right! Don't be intimidated, it will become simple after a few times. Stay away from retail pool stores, they like to over sell! Ask away! The fine folk's on this site are more than willing to help! Study up on the 3 B's bleach, borax, baking soda. Look into a robotic cleaner, makes life much easier and you don't need a 5K spaceship/lunar rover. We are super happy with our ($500) cleaner. Last off...relax, grab a beverage, and enjoy, it will come!

Reactions: V___25
Hi y'all! This will be a post and run since we're moving today. We went ahead and did a pool test this morning, except we couldn't go the cya because we didn't have scissors. We can do another set of tests tonight if needed.

Here's what we've got:
FC 7.5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 425

How do we figure out how big our pool is, gallon wise? What do we need to do with it if we want to jump in later tonight or tomorrow? Is that thing in the bottom a robot? How do we use it? I'm working on figuring out how to post pictures. I'm on my phone and it says the files are too big, but I'll post them when I have a chance to sort things out.

ETA: 13 new photos

Hopefully that works!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do we figure out how big our pool is, gallon wise
Length X Width X average depth (5.5 ft?) X 7.481 (gallons per cubic foot).

approximate the length and width for the curves.

Good luck getting settled. :)

except we couldn't go the cya because we didn't have scissors.
? Not sure why you need scissors for this test but make sure you have some when you go over there next as that is a major part to getting the pool clear again.

The rest of the numbers look good! Well done!
What do we need to do with it if we want to jump in later tonight or tomorrow?
Nothing! You can see the bottom so it is safe. While it is not the clearest pool with some algae in it you will not get hurt by it. Think of how many times you have jumped in a lake, pond, etc.
Is that thing in the bottom a robot?
It is a clearer but it is not a robot. It is pressure side cleaner is my guess. It has it's own "return" to run it. You make it work by running it's pump.
Good luck moving in. That sure it not fun but it will be nice to have the pool to jump into to cool off!

Make sure you have some liquid chlorine to put in it so we can keep it from getting any greener. We will work on you clearing it up when you come up for a breath from moving

? Not sure why you need scissors for this test but make sure you have some when you go over there next as that is a major part to getting the pool clear again.

The rest of the numbers look good! Well done!

Nothing! You can see the bottom so it is safe. While it is not the clearest pool with some algae in it you will not get hurt by it. Think of how many times you have jumped in a lake, pond, etc.

It is a clearer but it is not a robot. It is pressure side cleaner is my guess. It has it's own "return" to run it. You make it work by running it's pump.

Good luck moving in. That sure it not fun but it will be nice to have the pool to jump into to cool off!

Make sure you have some liquid chlorine to put in it so we can keep it from getting any greener. We will work on you clearing it up when you come up for a breath from moving
Oh! Because the test kit (the Taylor one or whatever is in my first post) requires something sharp and pointy to cut the top off of the bottle for the CYA test reagents. We didn't have anything at the time. :)

So we're hangry and food is on the way. And we also need to go back and get the cat so we can post complete numbers tonight. 😅

We have two bottles of normal bleach, and I'm not sure what else might be in the equipment area. The pool person said there were plenty of chemicals, but I'm so tired I'm not sure if/what is in there.

Imma try to figure out the little cleaner thing now -- that should help with algae?

Do we need to add water?

I swear I'll be back later tonight -- y'all are great! TYSM!

So we're hangry and food is on the way. And we also need to go back and get the cat so we can post complete numbers tonight. 😅
Get the kitty and get some food in your poor bodies! oh and don't forget to feed the kitty is it will eat. Make sure to put the kitty in a room you can close up if you are still getting stuff from the old house. That way she will not be able to slip out while the door is open.
normal bleach
so long as it does not have "cloramax" or smell good or splashless stuff in it. Thoes things can cause it to foam in the water. It is hard to find "normal bleach" any more. Is there a pool store anywhere near you? Some of them sell liquid chlorine.
plenty of chemicals
Do not add any of it to your pool. You are welcome to just take a pic of it so we can see the labels and we will tell you to toss or use.

Cleaner-it will help pick up the dead algae but that is about all. WHEN YOU ARE ABLE the best thing you can do it brush the pool to get all of the algae off the walls. Note it will make the water look worst but it is needed to get that algae up and into the water so the chlorine can get to it and kill it.

We used door-dash for the first week or so. There was just too much going on and it took 2 weeks to find the dinner making supplies. When I got that month's credit card bill I almost choked when I saw how expensive door-dash made it. (My kids did the ordering), but it was still worth it to be able to unpack and have dinner handed to us at the front door.

Reactions: TexEdmond
*whew* OK, so we're off to bed but we did a repeat test an hour or so ago. We also realized the pump wasn't running so we turned that on, and also found the pump to make the little cleaner thing go. We've decided to name her Pippi. :)

FC: 6.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 100
CH: 375
CYA: 65

We haven't figured out how big the pool is yet -- it's got a deep end and I'm not sure how deep it is. Oh! And the chlorine floaty thing is empty, but there are some 3" tablets. I think those might be the only chemicals that are there.

Ok good work on the CYA test as long as it was done with strong sun behind you. NO, don't use those chlorine pucks since the CYA is already high for a non salt pool and they will keep adding if you keep using it. You round up the CYA so call it 70.

What a long day you had! Here is hoping there is not much to move today so you can start unpacking the important stuff. Hope the cat settled in so you could get some sleep!

Those are some very workable numbers. Like @wireform said do not use any more of the tablets as they will add CYA to your water and you are towards the high side now. See if you can find some liquid chlorine. Walmart sells it in the pool section. They call it "pool shock" but it is really just chlorine. It will be in a white jug.

Great job already starting to figure out the equipment!

Kim:kim:

Good morning all!

Another post and run, but I can check in more often today. :) We're going to go back and get the rest of our kitchen stuff and clothes and then spend they hanging out with my brother and sister-in-law here -- hopefully with some pool time, but we woke up to a much cloudier pool this morning. Could you let us know what we should look for when we're out and about to make our water blue and clear? We're going to grab our tape measure so we can figure out the volume when we get back. Husband did look at Home Depot last night for liquid chlorine but wasn't able to find any -- is there something else or anything else we should be looking for? Finding a pool store is also on the agenda this week.

FC: 7.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 325
CYA: 60

PXL_20210725_143723626.jpg

What you are seeing is the start of an algae bloom. The number one thing you need is liquid chlorine. You will need to do something we call a SLAM. Here is the link to it SLAM Process

Know a SLAM is not a one day event. It is done until the pool is clear again. It might take a few days to get it done. You can swim in a pool so long as the FC is just under the SLAM level for your CYA.

Another thing you will need to do is learn how to clean your filter. See if you can find the owners manual for your filter. See if the pressure gauge works. Does it drop to 0 when you turn the pump off? How high does it go up when you turn the pump back off.

Do not use any powder shock or anything that says green to clean stuff. That will add stuff like CYA to your pool that it does not need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.