Pump recommendation

Jun 24, 2018
Cary
Putting together a pool package and am wondering if anyone can recommend pentair or Hayward equipment. I'm looking at a 1hp 2 speed pump and comparing pentair dynamo and Hayward matrix. Sand filters as well. Guess I'm wondering if there's a difference in quality or longevity in either brand.

So I'm speaking in terms of what I have to work with on my clients pools, ease of maintenance, etc. I prefer the ease of use and longevity of the Hayward products. Not a fan of the pentair dynamo. Sand filter for sure Hayward.

Be sure to install a shut off valve between the skimmer / pump and return/ ____ equipment. For example, if you are getting a tablet chlorinator, you need to be able to stop the waterflow from the return, or you'll be removing your return eyeball to install a plug every time you need to add tablets to a chlorinator. Same for the pump. You can use a simple plug to plug the skimmer to open the basket, but a shut off valve can be handy.

Remove shut off valves every Fall, turn them to open and store inside because water can get in there an freeze and crack them. Also use plenty of Magic Lube on the inside to keep them turning easily. Re-lube each spring.

Both brands of pumps the lids can be a pain if you don't lube them.

Stay away from any "automated" systems or "mineral systems" that claim you can use less chlorine. Examples are Nature 2 and the Pool Frog. They are often included in packages from stores like great escape and american sale. If you wish to read more about this, there's an article in Pool School about "alternative sanitizers".

When you get your sand filter, which I definitely recommend :), make sure you get a big one. It's not uncommon for the local stores to sell expensive pumps with undersized filters. Bigger is better on the filter end, and you can run the pump on low speed to save on electricity.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.com/HydroTools-Swimline-Ball-Valve-Plumbing/dp/B0032JSQ1G/ref=asc_df_B0032JSQ1G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126215582&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13059346655564763200&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021649&hvtargid=pla-305102193729&psc=1

This is the shut off valve. It comes apart at the union so you can remove the ball inside and lube it really well.

If you decide to use pvc plumbing be sure to use unions so that you can swap out various pieces of equipment without having to cut and glue pvc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.