Use existing filter and pump with new Bestway 18' x 9' x 48" Power Steel Oval ???

Jul 18, 2012
Harpers Ferry, WV
My 18' round pool gave up the ghost last year so I had it removed. I bought a Bestway 18' x 9' x 48" Power Steel Oval which I want to set up now. The kit comes with a filter/pump but I'm wondering if I can use my existing (and working before):

Hayward SP1592 PowerFlo Matrix 1 HP Above-Ground Swimming Pool Pump and Sherlok 120 cartridge filter​

or is it not worth the trouble?

What type of pump & filter came with your new Bestway? I suspect other than perhaps some proprietary adapter size issues getting the Hayward to mate with the Bestway connections, it should work. Is your Power-Flo a single or 2-speed? That might be another thing to consider between each pump.

Yeah, just about anything else you buy will push more what than those tiny things. Better filtration as well. But ideally you want a 2-speed or variable speed if possible. Plus some adapters to get everything to mate-up and you should be fine.

Yes I would. The easiest way may be modding an above ground skimmer and return kit onto the pool. I think you lose a bit of water level though because the skimmer sits low.

If you adapt that pump onto the existing ports make sure you create a Y hose and use double suction. It's a dangerous amount of suction for one port.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.