Pump not coming on...

Monkeymom1999

May 7, 2019
Virginia
Since joining TFP last year our pool have never been easier to keep up. Thanks guys! So now great looking pool, no pump. Automatic vac ran yesterday, cut the pump off as we normally do about 6:45 pm last night. Went to turn it on today and nothing. Checked the breakers, they aren't tripped.

My Pentair pump is 19 years old, but have had absolutely no issues with it. We replaced the valve at the top of our sand filter last summer. Basically our pool has been "trouble free". Now this. Any ideas what it could be? Our normal pool repair guy retired last year and I don't even have any idea who to get to come look at it.
Any suggestions we can try before I hunt down some unknown repair person?

19 years for a pump is pretty good. Before you jump in on this I'd suggest you check the simple stuff. Flip the breaker off and on again. Sometimes the breaker is tripped but it doesn't look that way because it almost returns to the "on" position. Has the pump been making an unusual noise or leaking water at all? Does it hum? It's pretty rare the pump just stops with no other symptoms. If you run the traps and end up replacing it now would be a good time to consider a variable speed pump if you don't already have one. It will very likely pay for itself in less than two years from reduced power consumption.

Chris

As to your replacement pool person I'd try to speak to your retired guy. Anybody that's been in this business long enough to retire must be pretty good. Ask him for recommendations. Also, find friends with pools to find a recommendation or two. Get at least 3 quotes from the new people you try. Ask them to give you:
  • total installed cost including parts, labor, permit fees (if any).
  • brand and model number of the pump
  • length of time in busines
  • references
I hope this helps.

Chris

I have calls in to 3 people for names. Our problem is we live a good 1.3 hours away from the pool store. Most of the guys that they recommend don't want to come this far. We flipped both pool breakers and then turned them back on. Still nothing. I think it's probably the pump. It struggles to get good flow when we vac, is noisy now compared to last year and the year before. My question would be as I am fine replacing it. I just want it to work. The pump we currently have is a Century HBQ125 Type B 1.25 HP. Got any suggestions for a more energy efficient variable speed model?

Thanks!

19 years for a pump is pretty good. Before you jump in on this I'd suggest you check the simple stuff. Flip the breaker off and on again. Sometimes the breaker is tripped but it doesn't look that way because it almost returns to the "on" position. Has the pump been making an unusual noise or leaking water at all? Does it hum? It's pretty rare the pump just stops with no other symptoms. If you run the traps and end up replacing it now would be a good time to consider a variable speed pump if you don't already have one. It will very likely pay for itself in less than two years from reduced power consumption.

Chris

Without any automation, a Pentair Superflo VS would be a good replacement. It may require some plumbing modifications.

You can just replace the motor but since your pump is nearing end of life I'd go with a new pump and motor. Pentair makes a great pump and has good reputation among our experts. If you're looking for less expensive routes you can look at Inyopool and Circupool online. I'll ask our resident pump experts to give you models to get quotes on and what to avoid. @Jimrahbe @ajw22 can you please weigh in?

Mom,

I would suspect the pump, but you must have a timer or switch that turns the pump on and off.. I'd check that first.

The first thing to check on any pump, when not running, would be the input voltage right at the pump.. If you have the proper voltage, then the pump has to be bad.. If not, then it has to be something before the pump causing the issue. Is this something you can do??

Do you know if your current pump is being run off of 120 Volts AC or 240 Volts AC? Show us a pic of the circuit breaker for your pool equipment.

What size pipes go to your current pump? 2" or 1.5"??

I suspect that no matter what, there will have to be some rework of your plumbing to make any new pump fit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It runs off 120 volts. The pump is a 1.25 hp. Most places only have a 3/4 or a 2.5 hp in stock as they all said had trouble getting inventory due to Covid.

I found a 2.5 Pentair Superflo VS. would that work as a replacement? My pipes are 2” pipes.

Mom,

I would suspect the pump, but you must have a timer or switch that turns the pump on and off.. I'd check that first.

The first thing to check on any pump, when not running, would be the input voltage right at the pump.. If you have the proper voltage, then the pump has to be bad.. If not, then it has to be something before the pump causing the issue. Is this something you can do??

Do you know if your current pump is being run off of 120 Volts AC or 240 Volts AC? Show us a pic of the circuit breaker for your pool equipment.

What size pipes go to your current pump? 2" or 1.5"??

I suspect that no matter what, there will have to be some rework of your plumbing to make any new pump fit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have calls in to 3 people for names. Our problem is we live a good 1.3 hours away from the pool store.

That's a little tough. Hopefully the retiree can find a local handyman or electrician that can do the work. It's not difficult but you'll need somebody that can do the 240 vac wiring. If it's not a direct fit you'll also need somebody with basic plumbing PVC skills. Keep your FC levels up 'till you get this fixed of course.

Wish I had a better solution for you.

Chris

Do you have any nbors in an XX mile radius w pools? Check w them on who they use.

Next, you can call any local electrician to install a pump since they are probably certified, you will keep your 3 yr warranty. Since you also have been advised on the Pentair Super flo [Very good pump btw], call Pentair and ask them the closest 2-3 companies that install pentair in your zip code. They might have some closer dealers than you think near you.

In the meantime, raise your FC levels and stir-up the water...if you have a submersible pump, that can surely help..good luck

Reactions: setsailsoon
Perfect! Now to find one. No one nearby has one in stock. Thanks!!!
They seem to be available via online vendors. You would then need to get a 'professional' to install it for the warranty. That can be most anyone that will invoice you for the installation.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.