Pump Motor Dead at 3.5 years

NeutronJohn

Jun 26, 2019
DFW, Texas
Howdy all,

I'm looking for options on replacing a pool pump. My pump motor started making a squealing noise last Friday (only when running higher RPM). I figured the bearing was going out and was going to schedule service after the New Year (pool company was closed for the holiday). It completely stopped running on Sat and when I called the pool company today, they told me it only has a 3 year warranty and I will have to pay to replace it and are quoting $1,866 just for the part! Please tell me they are crazy. The pool was completed in July of 2019, so its only 3.5 years old. I'm really disappointed its already having a major problem. Does anyone know if its worth reaching out to Jandy and if not, finding a replacement on my own? It's a Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP DV2A, but the motor has a Century label.

Attachments

• Pool Pump.jpg
    Pool Pump.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 9
Howdy all,

I'm looking for options on replacing a pool pump. My pump motor started making a squealing noise last Friday (only when running higher RPM). I figured the bearing was going out and was going to schedule service after the New Year (pool company was closed for the holiday). It completely stopped running on Sat and when I called the pool company today, they told me it only has a 3 year warranty and I will have to pay to replace it and are quoting $1,866 just for the part! Please tell me they are crazy. The pool was completed in July of 2019, so its only 3.5 years old. I'm really disappointed its already having a major problem. Does anyone know if its worth reaching out to Jandy and if not, finding a replacement on my own? It's a Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP DV2A, but the motor has a Century label.
Do you have automation? What type? Never a fan of Jandy pumps. If you have a newer Jandy RS system, you might want to look into a Pentair VSP. They are much more reliable. Unfortunately, that price is typical of new variable-speed pumps.

Last edited:
John,

VS pumps prices have gone up a lot in the past couple of years. An IntelliFlo that cost about $900 bucks a few years ago now costs about $1,750. I'm sure Jandy pumps are about the same price.

Over the past year did you notice a wet spot under the pump? I suspect that you had a shaft seal leak which tends to destroy the motor bearings. When the seal leaks you almost always see a very small drip underneath the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm running iAqualink.
For what it's worth, iAqualink works great with an Intelliflo VSP for me. The app's VSP features are really really clunky, but that's for any VSP. And they work fine if you overlook the annoying user interface.

I'd be having a conversation with Jandy. Manufacturing date, installation date, commission date are all very different. It may be argued .5 of year is not much along with good will, customer service, or company reputation on busy pool forums; but then again it may be worth lots.

Easier and cheaper to keep a customer than persuade another to come on board. It may turn out Jandy may cut you some pro rarter warranty discount if you buy another of theirs. Perhaps its Jandy's call if they wish to keep you.

The pool shop has already shown its colours so I'd be looking for a shop with more interest, especially if you buy a new pump.

For what its worth I have had 2 Astral VSP and they have performed well. Admittedly the first was only 3 years old however before we sold.

Thanks everyone for the input and support. The technician that came out agreed that the shaft seal must have leaked and compromised the motor. Unfortunately for me, my pump is on the shady side of the house and the ground is almost always wet so I didn't notice any leaking (on close inspection when the motor was removed, you could see white mineral deposits on the underside showing water damage). The good news is he agreed it should have lasted longer and met me in the middle on the price. So he earned some good will and I got a break in price. I'll be more diligent in watching in the future, but I was expecting better out of a new build from 3.5 years ago.

On a side note, he mentioned my pool was perfectly clear even with no pump for a week. I was just using my robot to keep the leaves out and to stir in liquid chlorine as needed.

Easier and cheaper to keep a customer than persuade another to come on board. It may turn out Jandy may cut you some pro rarter warranty discount if you buy another of theirs. Perhaps its Jandy's call if they wish to keep you.

It is worth a try.

However Jandy views the Pool Builders and Pool Stores as their customers. Not the end user.

It is worth a try.

However Jandy views the Pool Builders and Pool Stores as their customers. Not the end user.
Yeh, its hard for the little little fish to have an impact on companies. Its all volume and loose a few hundred fish here and there who cares, you pick them up somewhere else.

Still I have little list of companies I have been burnt by, I may only be on this planet for 80 or so years, and only have 1 wife and 2 children. But we consume enough over the years and who knows it may even be generational yet. If the company think I'm Crud than I'm happy to oblige and spend my bucks elsewhere.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.