Pump "moaning"

Man, I REALLY like that wireless capability but it sure isn't cheap! Almost $1800 plus tax and installation. (I don't think I'm talented enough to install it!)

Here's my conundrum though. I'm 67 years old and probably won't be around too much longer. When I die, my kids will probably sell the house so they can use the money on down payments for their own homes so is it worth it to go the variable speed route, or just replace what I have when a single speed at about half the price? That's going to be a difficult decision... I know I'll save money in the long run, but the long run for me probably isn't that long!!!

You guys have been great and I REALLY appreciate all the info. Now I need to decide what I want to do.
I can go to Leslie's and have this done but they're usually much more expensive than your local "mom-n-pop" pool guys, so is there anyone in the Murrieta / Temecula (California) area you recommend?

Ed

You can't. In California, you must use a Variable Speed Motor for any replacement for a motor exceeding approximately 1 hp.

Oh. There you go then. No choice.

Come on, man; you probably have at least 30 years left.

I sure hope not. I really don't want to go another 30 years of loneliness. (Sorry guys. I don't want to burden you with my problems)

But to get back to installation, is there anyone in the Murrieta/Temecula area you can recommend?

Ed

Example.

We value your participation in the Consumer Rebate Program and thank you for your interest in energy efficiency for your home.
Please be aware that the program is not suspended, but we expect the application and rebate processing time for the Certified Pool Pump Replacement Program to be significantly extended as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

We urge all customers to exercise caution and follow guidance from local, state, and federal health emergency response agencies to protect themselves from the Coronavirus COVID-19 when dealing with non-LADWP vendors who may continue to offer services for installations.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this temporary delay may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation. If you have questions about any of our Consumer Rebate Programs, please email [email protected].

The Certified Pool Pump Replacement (CPPR) Program offers, up to a $1,000 rebate to LADWP residential customers who have in-ground swimming pools filtered with a single-speed pool pump.

This retrofit installation program is intended to retire older, inefficient single-speed pool pumps and motors and replace them with qualifying energy-efficient variable-speed pool pumps and motors installed by certified technicians.

The Consumer Rebate Program (CRP) offers a $500 rebate for a qualifying variable-speed pool pump and motor purchase and installation with no installer certification requirement.

All terms and conditions of the CRP apply to the CPPR offer; please read them carefully before signing and submitting your application and addendum.

Program Qualifications

Residence must have an existing in-ground swimming pool (new pool construction, ponds, decorative fountains, and spas do not qualify) 8,000 gallon minimum.

Swimming pool must be filtered with a single-speed pool pump that is replaced with a qualifying variable-speed pool pump and motor.

Qualifying Pool Pump and Motor List

Must provide photographs showing the pre-existing installed single-speed pool pump before changing it out to a variable-speed pool pump.

The qualifying pool pump must be installed and calibrated by a certified aquatic equipment installer. Application must be submitted within 12 months purchase date.

The installer must be certified. Proof of certification must be submitted with your application or your application will not be considered for the CPPR offer.

Pool pump must be programmed to:

Run only during 8:00 p.m. to 9:59 a.m. (off-peak electric demand hours)

Run for the minimum time necessary to maintain the water in the condition required by applicable public health standards and comply with California Energy Code calibration, low-speed default, and maximum flow rate requirements

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh I agree. And the pump, while making intermittent moaning and groaning noises, isn't completely dead yet, so maybe I'll be able to hold off until a rebate is (maybe) offered. Of course there's no guarantee they'll EVER offer another rebate, but at least it's not something that has to be done "right now". If it gets worse, or completely locks up, I'll get the variable speed pump. Right now it's just a nuisance!

Ed

Reactions: JamesW
Oh. There you go then. No choice.

I sure hope not. I really don't want to go another 30 years of loneliness. (Sorry guys. I don't want to burden you with my problems)

But to get back to installation, is there anyone in the Murrieta/Temecula area you can recommend?

Ed
If you are going to get it installed to automation you need a good pool tech, not just someone who can do the plumbing. If you purchase the pump yourself, please be sure to find one willing to install it without the sale. There are a few of us, I've been doing it that way for years. Save the customer money and I don't have to handle the product anymore than necessary, I'm older than you and stuff just seems to have gotten heavier.

Pentair will give you their list of reputable installers in the area…that way, when you do have a problem, you already have a relationship with the right pool company. Technically, any “professional” pool company can install it….

The main swimming pool pump intermittently "MOANS" (for about a month now) and I'm fairly certain it's the ceramic seal, correct? I watched a few "how to" videos like THIS ONE and it doesn't appear to be that difficult, but my question is what part number kit do I need?

The pump is a Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 (see attached) which is around 18 years old so does anyone know which kit I need to rebuild it? Would THIS ONE work? (Pentair 356198)

Thanks
Ed
I think you should of used another word other than moan:ROFLMAO:Made me laugh tho

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.