Pump "moaning"

And, if no one else mentioned it, time your pump to run when your electricity is cheapest - usually night or early morning before the air conditioners kick in on the grid.

Nothing wrong with this bearing (see below)!!!

I found out from Pentair that the new variable speed pump will work with my Intelli-Touch I5, but it "might" not work with my plumbing since it's 18 years old and they recommend that I have a professional come out and verify if it will or it won't.

In the meantime, yesterday the pump noise got even WORSE. So bad in fact that I thought it was going to explode, so I killed the power at the circuit breaker. This morning I pulled it apart using THIS VIDEO and THIS VIDEO as guides and when I pulled it apart, I found the front bearing COMPLETELY trashed (again, see below)!! The rear is perfectly fine, it was just the front. I'm surprised it ran at all!!

I went out to Auto Zone and got a National 203FF bearing for a little over $10 bucks but I also had to get a new o-ring for the "cone" (if that's what it's called) because the original was lying at the bottom of the housing and was all stretched out!

Also, as I took the long screws out of the motor to separate the front from the housing, two of them broke, but luckily for me they still had about 2" of thread still pertruding from the holes. So off to Hank's Hardware store in Temecula for two 8-32 coupling nuts and the o-ring. $3.26 later, I'm back at home assembling it together but somehow, one of the inserts in the "cone" had come out so the allen screw wouldn't grab. I ended up using a wood screw a little bigger than the hole and that worked perfectly!

Now I need to find a professional to come out and verify if the VS motor will work with my plumbing then I can (hopefully) buy that. But for now the original pump is again "whisper quiet"! So quiet in fact that I keep running outside to make sure it's running!!!

Ed

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Wider shot of the plumbing at the pump. Why would you be told your plumbing would limit your choice of new pumps?

No idea why, but I figured they knew what they were talking about. Why would the plumbing make a difference? Maybe because the new VS pump is 3HP and the old single speed pump is only 1.5HP? More pressure in the pipes???

Here are a few more pictures...

Ed

Attachments

• Plumbing side picture.jpg
    Plumbing side picture.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Plumbing other side picture.jpg
    Plumbing other side picture.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Plumbing rear picture.jpg
    Plumbing rear picture.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 9
You can use a VS pump. It will need plumbing modifications as I do not see pump unions.
In the future, when you post pictures, do not downsize them so much. We cannot zoom in on the pictures you posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. That means I'll have to have a professional come out and do the install.

Also, I didn't downsize the pictures. If you click on them and then click the magnifying glass ( + ) you should see them full size. At least it works for me but I'm using Firefox so it may be different for other browsers.

And I'm assuming this is what you mean by the unions? (See below)

Ed

Attachments

• PLUMBING SIDE PICTURE.jpg
    PLUMBING SIDE PICTURE.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Well, after a day the pump is working perfectly so I guess I can put the VS pump on the back burner for now. However, it's 18 years old so it probably won't last another so I'll start saving for the VS and the labor to install it.

I want to thank you guys for helping me out. Every time I have a problem I can be assured it'll be resolved by the help I get from this forum. You've saved me a lot of money over the years and I DO appreciate it.

A follow-up question if I may... My waterfall pump is rated at 1HP, my jacuzzi pump is rated at 2.0HP and the main pool pump is only rated at 1.5HP. Shouldn't that be more? The jacuzzi isn't that big and the pool is so is 1.5HP too small for the pool? Maybe I should swap the jacuzzi pump and the main pool pump around!!

Ed

You've saved me a lot of money over the years and I DO appreciate it.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!
The jacuzzi isn't that big and the pool is so is 1.5HP too small for the pool?
The pool is best served by slow, steady circulation. The filtering works better at slow flow rates. The pool pump main purpose to create a skimming action to remove service debris.

Pool/spa combo? Without any special needs a pool your size would be/have been well served with a single-speed 1/2hp Whisperflow. I installed many that way before a VSP became available. The energy savings alone made customers very happy when going down from a 1.5hp pump. Clean water and easier filter cleanings were a bonus as well. With the proper plumbing that 1/2hp pump would even run a suction cleaner and skim. The only times a pump that size wouldn't work well was trying to use it with a suction cleaner and solar heating on at the same time or with a non-booster pump pressure cleaner like the Polaris 360.
A separate pump for the spa jets is always best, but 2hp may be overkill as many found that horsepower made the jets uncomfortable. Used to downsize those pumps regularly on a separate spa jet-pump.

Yes, it's a pool/spa (jacuzzi?) combo but no heater other than the gas heater for the spa (jacuzzi), which I NEVER turn on because it raises my gas bill 500 percent!!!

As for donating, give me a few weeks and I'll send you something. Contrary to popular belief, just because I have a pool doesn't mean I'm rich! Quite the opposite.

Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.