Pump "moaning"

restoman

Dec 24, 2010
Murrieta, CA
The main swimming pool pump intermittently "MOANS" (for about a month now) and I'm fairly certain it's the ceramic seal, correct? I watched a few "how to" videos like THIS ONE and it doesn't appear to be that difficult, but my question is what part number kit do I need?

The pump is a Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 (see attached) which is around 18 years old so does anyone know which kit I need to rebuild it? Would THIS ONE work? (Pentair 356198)

Thanks
Ed

Attachments

• Main pool pump Whisperflo Model WFE-6.jpg
    Main pool pump Whisperflo Model WFE-6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: agswimming541
The main swimming pool pump intermittently "MOANS" (for about a month now) and I'm fairly certain it's the ceramic seal, correct? I watched a few "how to" videos like THIS ONE and it doesn't appear to be that difficult, but my question is what part number kit do I need?

The pump is a Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 (see attached) which is around 18 years old so does anyone know which kit I need to rebuild it? Would THIS ONE work? (Pentair 356198)

Thanks
Ed
Not likely the seal causing the noise but the bearings in a motor that old could be worn out due to a leaking seal. That's the correct kit for a seal replacement.

Which pump?

Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP),

main-pool-pump-whisperflo-model-wfe-6-jpg.476871

James, yes, that's my pump (Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 - 1.5 HP) and WOW!! That's a huge drop in watts.

My typical electricity bill is around $200 a month, give or take... I don't run my air conditioner because it's 33 years old and another power vampire, but if I did, it would add $300 a month easy. I also don't run my heater because that also adds another $100 or so per month. My house is over 2000 square feet with vaulted ceilings so there's a lot of wasted space. I live alone and can put up with the hot and cold temperatures.

Ed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm assuming that no matter which one I get I'll need a professional to install it?

Ed
If you buy an EC grade pump, it will have a 1 year warranty regardless whom installs.

Check Polytec Pools in Las Vegas for pricing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.