Jun 5, 2022
Wexford, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

I'm Mike from Wexford, PA. I'm new to the site and new to pool ownership.

I just moved in to a house with a 16-year-old, in-ground concrete pool with a vinyl liner. 18x36 ft, 21,232 gal

I hired a local company to open my pool and give me a bit of an orientation. That was a month ago. I have been running my Hayward Super Pump continuously on their recommendation. On Wednesday evening, I noticed a bit of a whine coming from the pump. Everything else seemed okay so I didn't think much of it.

When I woke up Thursday morning, the pump was so noisy that I could hear it from inside the house. By the time I came outside to investigate, it had shut itself off.

Fast forward to the weekend, I had time to investigate further. After a bit of googling and watching YouTube videos, I began to take things apart. The skimmer basket had a bit of junk in it, but certainly not enough to cause an obstruction. Using my fingers, I could reach inside and turn the impeller. It turns without too much trouble. Not sure how smoothly it should turn, but I did expect it to turn a bit more easily than it did.

Next, I detached the motor from the housing. I could not see any debris in or around the impeller.

IMG_3312.jpeg

I had a brief look at the start capacitor, but it looked okay – no bulges or anything like that. I couldn't get a capacitance reading on it from my multimeter, but I've never measured a capacitor before, so I might be doing something wrong. That's as far as I went with the disassembly. After that I put everything back together.

Right now, I can get the pump running for about a minute. I see water flowing through the top of the clear plastic housing, and I get about a 15psi reading on my filter's pressure gage (which is normal), but the pump is still very loud and soon shuts off.

Here's a video of the pump running noisily and then shutting off:

I've called several technicians and because it's busy season, they're all at least two weeks out. That's a lot of lost swimming time in prime season :(

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks,
Mike

Trying the video link again:

Yeah, it's definitely shutting off due to overheating. If I leave it for 10 or 15 minutes, then it will run again for another minute.

Sorry you are having trouble with your pump. I can't help with that, so hopefully someone else can.

In the meantime, to keep your water from turning green, do you have a portable sump pump you could use to keep the water circulating? Also, would help to get some liquid chlorine in as well.

Sorry you are having trouble with your pump. I can't help with that, so hopefully someone else can.

In the meantime, to keep your water from turning green, do you have a portable sump pump you could use to keep the water circulating? Also, would help to get some liquid chlorine in as well.
I don't have a sump pump, but could probably get one. I will keep an eye on chlorine levels though. I do have some liquid chlorine and I put a chlorine floater in there.

Chances are the motor bearings are going bad.
Looking in the pump basket, it appears the basket isn't full of water. You may also have a suction side air leak - which isn't directly related to the noise from your video. But something to watch and fix.

Reactions: jeffchap
Sounds like bad voltage and maybe bad bearings.

Check the supply voltage and see what voltage the motor is set for.

Don't change the selector unless you are 100% sure how to do it correctly.

Bad bearings would definitely contribute to the overheating. If they are replaceable, I'd give that a shot before springing for an entirely new pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I was lucky enough to be able to get a technician out here yesterday. I started up the pump for him and as soon as he heard the noise it was making he told me it was done for.

I'm not sure if the bearings were replaceable but since I have home warranty coverage for the pool equipment, I put in a claim and they paid for most of the cost of a new pump. Things are back up and running (quietly!) now with a Hayward Super Pump 700 Series.

With no pump running for almost a week, the water got cloudy really fast. Clearing that up will be my next challenge.

Reactions: JamesW and willygee
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.