wsamon

Mar 16, 2015
Largo, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It appears that out of nowhere, my pump died on Saturday. I can't think of any reason for it, but it just stopped working. When it turns on it hums for about 30 seconds but never primes or gets anything moving. I can't even feel any air coming out of the filter's air release valve, and removing the lid from the pump's filter area shows no noticeable suction there either. After the 30 seconds or so it shuts off, presumably due to the overheating cutoff because the pump is pretty hot by then. No breakers were thrown at any point. I don't know how old the pump is, but I think it's been there quite a while.

Is this worth looking into getting fixed? Or should I just replace it?

Fix:

• Is it something I can do myself? I am somewhat handy but am not to the point that I could sell my services. My father in law could, but neither of us have any experience with pool pumps, and limited experience with motors that aren't in cars.
  • If I need to hire someone, where do I even look for someone that repairs pool pumps? A pool store? A pool repair or resurfacing company? A mechanic of some kind?
  • What kind of cost should I be expecting?

Replace:
  • Is the brand of pump really important?
  • Should I get a bigger pump?
  • Is there any website, etc. I could go to to find what models would make for the easiest installations? I don't mind making some changes to the piping if it results in a better setup or saves a bunch of money, but would obviously prefer to not have to fiddle with it if I don't have to.
  • Do you have any suggestions of specific models to target?

Some pertinent information:
  • Current Model: single speed Sta-Rite Super Max 1hp (model phk2ra6e)
  • Pool Size: 15-17k gallons? Kidney-shaped and roughly 32' long and 16' wide at its widest point tapering gradually from a shallow end of 3' to a deep end of roughly 9'. There is also a small 6' diameter spa. The pump drives both and I can switch between them (or both at the same time) by flipping some of the diverter valves.
  • Suction side includes:
  • 1 skimmer on the opposite end of the pool as my equipment (the equipment is also about 12' from the edge of the pool, so the skimmer is probably about 40' or so from the pump)
  • Main drain in the deep end of the pool (close to the pump)
  • Drain in the spa
  • Suction line for a vacuum (newly added 2 years ago)
  • Return side includes:
  • 2 jets near the stairs in the shallow end
  • 1 jet in the deep end (newly added 2 years ago)
  • 4 jets in the spa
  • it used to have floor popups but those were removed when we added the vacuum line and jet in the deep end
  • Cost: About $45 / month in electricity. That's not outrageous, but any savings I can get there would be helpful.
  • Future Plans:
  • In the near future I would like to add solar heating, so I want any new pump to be capable of pushing water up to our 1-story roof and generate enough flow to efficiently heat the water while maintaining its other duties.
  • In the more distant future I'd like to also add a small waterfall.
  • Price: Very price conscious. We've had a lot of major expenses the last couple years including the house purchase, pool resurface, new roof, wedding, and 2 children which also prevented my wife from working, so we're hurting a bit financially at the moment.

I'm still learning about pools and circulation, but I don't feel that the 1 hp is enough for this setup. The vacuum is attached 24/7, and I need to close the skimmer valve about 75% and the other drains entirely to get it enough juice to be effective. I also installed some special jets, played with the angles, and put in a skimmer whirlpool thing to get return-side circulation that's even close to good enough for the skimmer. Even with that, there's a low-circulation spot that runs from the deep end opposite the return jet until the skimmer and lots of leaves sink to the bottom, making the vacuum do a lot of work and causing frequent jams. When in spa mode, only 2 of the 4 jets produce spa-like power.

My initial idea was to get a variable speed 2 hp pump which should save money every month by juggling the timing to only run higher rpms a few times a day for the vacuum, and provide enough hp to handle future expansions into solar heating, the water feature, and possibly even the system that enables heating water from the excess heat of the AC unit. However, I don't have anywhere near $1000 to spend on these kinds of pumps right now. I've got to do what I've got to do, but even $500 is going to be painful.

wsa,

Generally, when you turn on a pool pump and only here a hummmm, it is usually a capacitor issue.

There is a hump on the top of the motor and under the hump is a cap. Replacing the cap will most likely fix your pump.

That is what I would try first.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

wsa,

Generally, when you turn on a pool pump and only here a hummmm, it is usually a capacitor issue.

There is a hump on the top of the motor and under the hump is a cap. Replacing the cap will most likely fix your pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

First off, thank you for your help! The capacitor does appear to be dead, so I'm going to replace it. Unfortunately, neither Lowes nor Home Depot carry them so it looks like I'll have to order one from Amazon. Do you know of any other physical stores that may carry them?

My capacitor is a 370vac 50/60hz 30uf. Is there any benefit or harm to replacing it with a capacitor with say a 50uf? Or should I look for the exact same #s across the board?

Lastly, are there any typical reasons that a capacitor would go bad that I should look for in my setup? Or is it likely just age?

wsa,

I would get the exact one if possible. I would try Grangers or even Leslies although I suspect they will charge more.

Google "Motor Capacitors near me" and see what you get..

Jim R.

wsa,

I would get the exact one if possible. I would try Grangers or even Leslies although I suspect they will charge more.

Google "Motor Capacitors near me" and see what you get..

Jim R.

I ended up just ordering one from Amazon with the exact same specs for $10.70 (did a little research myself before you responded). It should be here Friday. I did find a couple places near me that may sell it, including Grainger, but none have it listed online, I hate dealing with things over the phone, and don't have time to go there in person. However, looking around I did see this solar pool pump, which has me intrigued for the future. I with they gave a little more information on the page though.

For anyone else that's interested, Leslie's website does say that they have capacitors that should work, including ones with the same specs as mine (though hz isn't listed there), but it's $31, almost 3 times as much as Amazon.

Last edited:
Interesting. Without specifications listed I feel highly skeptical about its performance. For some applications it may work. Good to see people working along those lines.

Yeah, it's something I've been interested in for a while. The big companies really need to look into putting together some solar powered pumps. Even if they used current technologies and sold a package of a variable speed pump, sufficiently sized solar panel, battery, and DC to AC converter designed with easy-snap connections, I think there would be a market for it. Many people get turned off by the complexity of researching what is needed, if they're buying the right panel and battery, and then having to manually wire and jerry-rig everything together. If you take away those fears then you're left with a simple money situation which is much easier to overcome, especially when the higher initial price can be justified by monthly savings.

wsa,

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim, a big thank you for the help! That's exactly what it was. So an $11 part and about 10 minutes of my time was all that was needed to get it up and running again. Thank you very much for saving me $650+! (at least temporarily). You like beer? We've got some good microbrews around here. I'd happily send you a few.

Warren

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.