Pump/Filter advice

Aug 28, 2013
Newport, NC
Morning everyone,
well, while mowing my yard yesterday I cut the mower off to regas and noticed it was very quiet in the backyard. Pool pump had died! I knew it was going to go soon, small pump, making noises, many years old, so no real surprise.

Pump/filter is a Intex sand filter combo Model 15110. I have a circular, above ground that is 24' x 52" deep. It is a saltwater pool. I'm realizing now that I was probably undersized on my pump for this pool.
I am (was?) considering just replacing the pump. I have enough room that I can sit it beside the filter and make it work.

Two questions. 1) If the pump was too small, is the filter too small also and should I replace both? 2) if replacing just pump is ok, is the Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 2-speed, 1 hp good enough?
I don't see flow rates for the pump anywhere, but because it is a lot bigger I am assuming it would be more than sufficient. I definitely feel like I need more pump than I had. Due to being in the south (NC) and around trees, I
run the pump 12 hours daily to keep algae at bay.
I also like the idea of the 2 speed pump so I can vacuum my pool through the skimmer, which I haven't been able to do because the old pump wasn't strong enough.

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks,
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.