Pump Failing

eco-help

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I need advise as to how to proceed. I am thinking to replace my current pump with a variable speed pump (I have a quiet heat pump and do want to have the energy savings of a VS) -- but I live in Florida so lightning is a concern.. I have read on this forum it is possible to install a surge suppressor.

I am just concerned whatever I replace with will fail in the same way, not sure I want to replace a very expensive pump.

OK This is a bit long, but I feel without details it will be harder to help.

When we bought the house there was a very old Single Speed rusty pump, it was on its last legs-yet ran for 2 more years. It was replaced with the current StaRite 1.5HP (2014) pump. After about a year StaRite failed and the backend (the motor?) replaced twice (within about 90 days) then maybe 1year later the bearings were replaced.
This always ended the same way... Pump is quiet in the beginning gets louder... then REALLY loud.
During priming the water in the pump skimmer empties first then fills - I have two (pool) skimmers that have shut off valves and a main that has no shut off. I am thinking this is a main reason the pump eventually wears out.. lack of water causes priming to take too long..
Things got worse I think with a plug in vac (no boost pump).. I would have to tweak the skimmer valves to get the vac to suck enough.. but that introduced bubbles to the pump skimmer.. multiple places said it's fine.. but something told me it isn't.. I think this is 2nd reason for pump failing.
3rd thing water level would drop and the pump would endlessly try to prime.. I haven't made that mistake in a long time, but it happens.. Florida sun evaporates oh so fast.. and a possible leak somewhere.
4th.. today the pump became really loud.. I checked the filter and many dead swarming ants were stuck to it. Otherwise the filter was clean (almost end of SLAM)
Final note: ~2 weeks ago I did remove that vac and bought a Robot (I love it, but that is another thread)
During all of this my SWG failed (yet another thread) so I started using chlorine tablets (I know I know) and.. well I had to SLAM.. but now.. my pump is so loud I can't run it 24hours a day.

What would you all recommend me do? I am IT techie but this pool equipment somehow leaves me without a clue. I think I need a pool company to help, not sure which.

I have attached some pictures. I have a small video but the forum doesn't seem to like uploading it. Maybe the wrong file format?

Thank you!
-edited re-upload larger size photos & changed "pump" to "motor"

Attachments

• IMG_6657.jpg
    IMG_6657.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6645.jpg
    IMG_6645.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6658.jpg
    IMG_6658.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6655.jpg
    IMG_6655.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6664.jpg
    IMG_6664.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6661.jpg
    IMG_6661.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6656.jpg
    IMG_6656.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6659.jpg
    IMG_6659.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6667.jpg
    IMG_6667.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
A Pentair Superflo VS pump will work fine in your situation. It might even need little or no plumbing.
Or there are 'off brand' VS pumps that will provide a better warranty (if you plan to install DIY) but may require more plumbing work.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
A Pentair Superflo VS pump will work fine in your situation. It might even need little or no plumbing.
Or there are 'off brand' VS pumps that will provide a better warranty (if you plan to install DIY) but may require more plumbing work.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks for help really appreciate it :)
I have been lurking on this forum for ages, already somewhat up to speed on the ABC's and SLAM (I do need to buy the TF100, mine is lacking the >10ppm tests and is >12months-- yet another topic)
I am just concerned if I buy the Superflo -- do I have some underlying issue (other than my lack of filling the pool ;) ) that might result in premature failure of this? Still not sure how to upload the video, it is from an iPhone so maybe this forum doesn't like the format

Videos need to come through YouTube I believe.

specifically what other things are you concerned about?

ah thanks.. I think maybe I had some run-on sentences... here is numbered list:
1. During priming the water in the pump skimmer empties first then fills - I have two (pool) skimmers that have shut off valves and a main that has no shut off. I am thinking this is a main reason the pump eventually wears out.. lack of water causes priming to take too long?
2. In Florida -- summer storms, lightning and the risk of damage to VS pump electronics.. is there a way to avoid this? Surge protection?
3. There is a lot of rain ... pump is outside.. I was told there are pump covers, but won't that create overheating issues?

Thanks!

Last edited:
More questions:
1. Will the Pentair Superflo be easy to control factoring I have a heat pump and SWG? When different things are running I need different speeds.. can that be setup to do that with the superflo?
2. Pinch-A-Penny asked me why I would want something with 5-6yr old technology.. I need to get the VSF since it helps protect the pump when it can't prime... true or false? (I think false but need expert help)
3. Pentair have $100 rebate with the VSF / $50 for Superflo

Last edited:
No I don't have automation, but I do have a heat pump and SWG and need to somehow have the pump know that when they are operating that the pump will need to run at a higher RPM. I read the VSF adjusts Flow rate to match set-point, so when e.g. the heat pump is running the pump will know to increase RPM to match flow rate set.
In which case with the VSF presumably I do not need additional automation?
That is my understanding from reading the Pentair website.. I appreciate your clarification/help with this :)

No system, automation or not, will increase speed when the heat pump kicks on, you would need to have the pump set to run at the higher flow during the time you want to run the heat pump.

An Intelliflo VS (011028) is the gold standard of VS pumps. But without automation, you cannot get full value for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A two speed pump runs at 3450 or 1725 rpm. It will be quieter at the low speed. I do not know if low speed would be sufficient when you run the heater, however.

sorry for the million questions but this is an expensive purchase and something I want to get right... so hopefully last one...
VSF SVRS "Built-in diagnostics protect the IntelliFlo pump from the most common causes of premature failure: overheating, freezing and voltage irregularities (SVRS model includes priming protection as well)"
THIS seems to be the key.. since my pool is open air outdoor in Florida I have a ton of debris and its super hot out here and if I am on vacation and pool evaporation occurs I don't want the pump to lose prime... maybe "voltage irregularities" includes lightning storms?
So having said all this.. anyone have experience with this and thoughts most appreciated..

The gold standard of vs pumps is the Intelliflo VS 011028.
DO NOT get any pump with SVRS. They are not needed and create multiple operational issues.

This thread shows how to set it up!

ECO,

Wow, I read all the posts above and if you are as confused as I am right now, we are both on the same page... I see that you are being fed a line of Bull - Stuff from Pinch a Penny.. A VSF pump will not protect your pump itself anymore than a VS pump will do.. The idea that you can set the VSF flow so that when "The heater kicks on" will make the pump increase the flow is just not right.. The amount of flow through the heater does not change when the heater kicks in. It is true that the heater may need more flow to close a pressure switch to allow the heater to work, but there is nothing that the heater does to tell your pump to increase in speed.

An automation system could do this, but it does not make sense to buy an automation system just to control the heater.

My suggestion is to buy a standard IntelliFlo VS (011028) and just set up a couple of speeds.. One for normal use and one for heater use.. During the time when you want the heater running just run at a speed the closes the pressure switch in the heater..

Yes you can install a surge protector.. Do you have one for you house? It is just a likely that electronic equipment in your house will be damaged as a VS pump. The pumps are designed to be outside.. I have a couple of IntelliFlo VS pumps at two rent house that have been running for 10 years and 7 years and they don't seem to mind the weather at all. That said, I have the equipment at my house in a shed.. Either way seems to work great.

You are just making this into a much bigger problem than it needs to be.

You have a bad pump and the Gold Standard of pool pumps is the IntelliFlo VS.

Maybe I just missed something, but after reading all the posts my brain has turned to mush.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.