Problems keeping Spa sanitized after switching to dichlor --> liquid bleach method

mindtrip

Dec 15, 2021
Denver, CO
Hello all,

We bought a house with a 1-year-old 460 gal Clearwater Spas hot tub last year. The tub has a factory-installed ozonator. At first we were following the home sellers' recommendations of shocking with dichlor/trichlor once a week, and keeping the water in the industry recommended ranges (eg TA around 80, CH around 200, FC around 3-5ppm, pH around 7.6) and using dichlor tablets in a floater throughout the week to maintain FC levels. Over time, of course, we noticed more and more problems keeping the tub clean, especially when we had to leave town for a week and came back to discover a green cloudy tinge in the water which I'm assuming was algae (though we all know what happens when we assume!) with FC being almost zero and high CC despite continually using the floater/dichlor tabs. That's what got me looking into hot tub chemistry to begin with, and before I found this forum and the Pool Math app I had already run across chem geek at another site, and used his explanations to write my own spreadsheet which wound up matching Pool Math pretty closely. I bought the Taylor kit that measures FC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA.

So the last time I drained/seaklear'ed/washed/filled the tub (Nov 30 2021), I switched to the method of using dichlor at first to get CYA up--I was shooting for 30 but overshot a bit, it's around 45 now--and added borates to around 50 ppm as a buffer. I then used liquid bleach daily to keep FC between 4-8 ppm, which requires adding 2-3oz of 12.5% liquid bleach daily. We had to leave town last week for a family emergency, so the afternoon we left I did a SLAM to get the FC to 18-20 ppm per Pool Math's recommendation, and left town Wednesday afternoon. We got back on Sunday evening and by the time we got home, FC was zero and the water was green and cloudy again. I did another SLAM to 18 ppm on Sunday evening, and by yesterday morning the FC was down to 3ppm. The water was definitely less green and more clear but still present, so I SLAM'd again to get it up to 18 ppm. I also removed and washed the filters yesterday afternoon.

This morning, the test results earlier this morning were:
FC: around 6ppm (darker than 5, lighter than 7.5, so guessing here but close)
CC: 0
pH: 8
TA: 60
CH: 260 (need to add some water due to dehydration, this always brings it back to 250)
CYA: around 45
Borates: around 50, test strips aren't the easiest to color match

The greenish tinge appears gone, though the water does still appear slightly cloudy. I added muriatic acid and readings currently are:

FC: 5 ppm
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 40
CH: 260
CYA: ~45
Bortates: ~50

I think I have the problem solved now and will continue to monitor and add bleach again as before. But I now have a couple of questions I'm hoping those with more experience can weigh in on:

1) How do you keep your pool clean when you travel?? I think SLAM'ing on a Friday afternoon before we leave town for a weekend will work just fine, but in tests I've done before it appears that SLAMing to a FC level of 18 ppm (when starting with clear water) results in a FC level of around 10 ppm the next day, and around 3 ppm by the second day. That works for a weekend as I can SLAM Friday afternoons when we're off doing outdoor activities, but leaving it unattended for even 4 days results in cloudy, green water again. What do people recommend to prevent this problem?

2) I did add a little more bleach when we left town Wednesday afternoon than the recommended amount for an 18 ppm SLAM, as I was trying to extend the time before the FC was all broken down. When I washed the filters yesterday, there were a fair number of small black specks on the filter, I picked off a larger one and rolled it around between my fingers and it looks and feels like little rubber bits. Did I damage the seals by using liquid bleach to get the FC level that high? I know many here advocate the liquid bleach method, though hot tub dealers all say avoid liquid bleach, claiming it will in fact damage seals and o-rings. Is that true, or marketing hype to sell higher-cost pool and spa chemicals?

At this point I'm considering going with some kind of mineral method eg Frog @ease, Nature2 or some such, because we do leave town in the summers for extended periods up to a couple of weeks and I can't have the spa growing algae and requiring a drain and refill every time we do.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

Frog or nature2 will not solve your problems and they have their own issues.

Ozone systems and TFPs chlorine methods seem to conflict. @jseyfert3 may have thoughts.

@RDspaguy said the following about ozone in spas…

Ozone is a strong oxidizer, and will burn off free and combined chlorine. Think of it as a shock, not a sanitizer. But a shock so strong it destroys chlorine. Raise your chlorine after use to sanitize and let the ozone get rid of the cc and excess fc.
A constant residual is not needed in a covered spa, as it is in a pool, because new contaminants are not introduced with the cover closed (unless it's old and leaky and it rains). On a 24/7 injection system, the entire volume of the spa is moved through the injection pipe (turnover) every hour or so, and they say that 5 turnovers will get 99% of the water, and therefore contaminants in the water, in contact with ozone. This leaves little chance for nasties to grow, even with .5ppm fc. On a timed system it get's alot harder to determine turnover, as the main pump is moving only some of the water through the ozone pipe.

You can unplug your ozone from the control board and test the theory if you like. If your chlorine, both free and combined, stick around, it's the ozone getting rid of it.

Another indicator is 0cc, as the ozone burns it off. If the chlorine is used up during sanitation (chlorine demand) it will raise the cc, just like a pool, and require a chemical shock (or salt cell or uv) to remove it. If you add fc, but don't get a resulting fc or cc the next day, it's the ozone.

Ozone is not recognized as a sanitizer in a spa because the treated water is returned to an untreated tub with no residual. It destroys contaminants better than chlorine, but there is a risk to using it without a sanitizer. That said, I have never had a customer have any issues with a low chlorine/ozone system as long as the ozone is working. Since the ozone will die sooner or later, and the only way you will know is the sudden buildup of cc and cloudy water, it is a good idea to use chlorine even if it seems that you don't need it.

It has been many years since any manufacturer has recommended ozone as a primary sanitizer, but some people still use it the way it was sold to them in 1998, and recommend it to others. This has caused alot of confusion regarding ozone, even at the pool/spa store, where the new guy is often given old information by old guys like me.😉 Since I used a low chlorine/ozone system for well over a decade, and recommended

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey M !
You’re on the right track - sorta.
#1 you need the fas- dpd test so u can actually measure fc levels above 5ppm. Your k2005 is missing this (this is the reason we recommend the k2006 or tf100) you can buy that here 👇
#2 if your cya reads over 40 you round up & call it 50 so your SLAM Process fc level is 20ppm.
#3 I realize you have used seakleer but it is likely you still have biofilms/funky stuff in your plumbing that is creating excess chlorine demand - an Ahhsome purge is recommended.
#4 going to slam level of 18-20 ppm should have left you with some residual fc upon your return a few days later - refer to #3 suggestion
If you travel alot a drop in swg can make sure you always have fc while u are away barring an excessive biofilm problem .
#5 fc is fc - infact dichlor is quite acidic & can cause many issues if proper ph isn’t maintained - bleach doesn’t have this problem.
Its a marketing thing.
#6 the frog 🐸 & magic mineral potions 🧪 are not the answer & cause more problems than they solve.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! In responding to some of these I will say that I do get combined chlorine, for example after getting the chlorine up to 10ppm the day before yesterday, it was at five yesterday, and then zero this morning. At that time, combined chlorine measured at one part per million. I am aware that the ozonator could be causing the chlorine to deplete faster. As a result I’ve actually been going to more like 20-25 ppm of chlorine with each shock, also assuming that I can’t tell the CYA level for certain. Thanks for info about the better test kit, I hadn’t seen that one before.

Edit: I can’t figure out how to access the control board compartment. This is a Clearwater Spa tub, the manual gives no info on this, I cannot see any obvious panel that unscrews, etc, and I can’t find information on how to get to this compartment. Any suggestions??

The tub is almost completely clear now with only slight residual cloudiness, but it’s improving daily. The greenish tinge is gone and I now believe I have an algae problem. I could never understand why my friend said that with his hot tub that he purchased new he could just throw chlorinated granules in and leave it without any kind of float or constant chlorine supply. He doesn’t have an ozonator and I know that mine will burn down chlorine but at the same time if he gets to zero chlorine in his pool he doesn’t have problems whereas I’m getting algae blooms. The pool was installed in January 20 20, we purchased the house in April 2021 but couldn’t move in until May. The previous owners had six kids, said they use the pool all the time and their kids were “kind of gross“ so I’m suspecting they didn’t shower before they got in. When I first moved in they had some leisure time jet clean leftover that I used for the first drain, then I tried seaklear on others’ recommendations. Unlike other reports I read, however, neither Jet Clean nor seaklear actually produced any noticeable darkening or discoloration of the water so I assumed I was good and didn’t have algae or biofilm. In fact it didn’t look like they really did anything at all. After doing more research this week I have already ordered ahhsome as people report it works better than seaklear. Would ahhsome alone get rid of the problem or should I also look into using an algicide on a regular basis? The previous owners were nice people but not the brightest bulbs on the tree, they were essentially just measuring chlorine and pH and I doubt that they took that good care of it; being only one year old I thought I’d be able to treat it and rectify any problems. This one is pesky.

I have considered switching to a saltwater generator, but need to do more research. Saltwater generators work by electrolysis, do you need to install anything on the lines to prevent galvanic corrosion since you’re introducing electricity to the pool? We do have a weatherproof covered outlet right next to the tub so this would be a reasonable solution. I’m not clear on what modifications are required to switch to a saltwater generator.

Last edited:
I think doing the Ahhsome will likely produce some interesting/satisfying results & you should see a reduction in chlorine demand (this may take several rounds of purging- you don’t have to dump the water each time, just add a 1/2 dose & go again).
As far as the swg goes - u just need the unit & some pool or softener salt. I have a saltron mini drape over & i ❤️ It. No extra stuff necessary. Improperly balanced ph carries a much higher risk of galvanic or other types of corrosion than the salt or the tiny amounts of electrolysis produced by the swg will.
The dpd test is not accurate to read past 10ppm but by adding the fas-dpd to your kit will essentially turn your kit into a k2006.
246E21E7-DC3E-4F60-8EDB-74895228B15D.jpeg

Any harm in unplugging the ozone when leaving for several days? I would think the FC would last longer.

When I ran my ozonator in my swim spa I would lose 50% of my chlorine per day. Ozonator finally died and I haven't cared to replace it. Without it I can shock the spa and go 4 or 5 days without having to worry about it and I can more easily tell whether my sanitizer loss is from gunk or the ozonator.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.