Problem Priming Pump

BoilerHorn

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2007
Central Texas
For the past few months, I've had occasional problems retaining prime. I have replaced seals, check valve, pump basket cover, etc. and then realized I had a small leak in one of the skimmer paths. I turned off suction to that pipe - still have another skimmer and main drain - and priming worked well for some time.

It will lose prime once every week or so at this point - and not regain it. Because of its infrequency, I am not sure there is a systemic issue, but I certainly want water circulation.

Can a small leak on the booster pump suction impact prime of the main pump?

The pump housing is around 8 years old and the motor is around 5 years old.

With the above scenario, what would you do?

Can a small leak on the booster pump suction impact prime of the main pump?

Not likely unless your booster pump is connected in some non-standard way.

With the above scenario, what would you do?

I would post pics of your equipment pad, plumbing and valves so we can see your setup.

Have you read...

Thanks for the quick reply. I read that article in the past and recently addressed the following (numbers are from the article):

1 - new basket lid and new gasket
3 - all above-ground suction side plumbing was redone in 2017
4 - all valve gaskets were replaced in 2019
5 - water level is good
6 - sometimes spits at basket lid - even after replacement

I have not addressed the drain plugs.

I also replaced the housing unions. I have attached a picture of the suction side - from a couple of years ago. The rusted heater in the back has also been replaced :)

Items in yellow indicate recent gasket replacement

PoolPad.PNG

Thanks again for all of the input.

Over 1 week ago, I changed the following: drain plugs, lid gasket, diffuser gasket, housing gasket. Kept prime quite well for a bit, but still lost prime intermittently. I noticed a gurgling sound when I would turn off the pump and yesterday decided to change out the shaft seal. That seems to have fixed the priming problem. Ran the pump for ~5 hours after the fix and turned it off overnight. No signs of water, etc.

But I seem to have 2 minor "issues"
1 - pool started/primed w/ no problem this morning, but I *think* I see a bit of air when looking through the pump cover, so I clearly did not fix it 100%
2 - when I was replacing seals > 1 week ago, I noticed that the multiport was difficult to turn. Decided to replace that gasket, too. Determined it could not be easily replaced, but had already damaged the gasket, so I bought another multiport handle/gasket/etc. assembly.

After that was installed, I see intermittent water leaks at the top. See attached pics.

1585323291649.png
1585323401478.png

I appropriately lubricated, etc. It was more profound than this before I really "cranked down" on the bolts. Any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the problem is now solved.

In the process of cranking down on the bolts, I cracked the valve cover for the multiport. I'll concede I did not quite get to "veins in my neck popping out" but the valve cover could take no more :)

As I noted, I recently replaced the multiport valve cover, key, gasket, handle assembly. SO, I had the old one lying around. I replaced the new (and now cracked) valve cover with the old one, lubed, tightened appropriately, etc. Now, no leaks there!

It is the same cover that was "mated" to the multiport valve for some time, which likely influenced its fit, too.

Removing the handle was a bit of a hassle - have to compress the spring, tap out the pin to remove the handle, etc.

Again, thanks to all for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.