KertnerT

Mar 7, 2019
Arlington,TX
My 72 year old (female) Friend had an algae problem caused by a broken pump motor and a lot of leaves. I replaced to broken motor, cleaned to DE Filter, got as many of the leaves out as possible without being able to see the bottom of the pool. I Shocked the pool and ran the pump until my friend turned it off because she was afraid the pressure was too high (40 psi). I do not live close so I have been traveling to her home every day for about a week and a half now, when I leave each time after cleaning the filter again, using Green to Clear, Shocking several times the pressure will read around 15 - 20 psi and then begins to climb to around 40 psi within just a few hours. I am very frustrated now, I have cleaned filter 3 times, backwashed so many I can't count them and even soaked the filter for 24 hours in a trash can with a solution of water and muriatic acid. The pool water has gone from dark (swamp) water to light green cloudy. I spend 2 hours there today, cleaned filter baffles by removing them one by one and spraying down with hose, recharged the filter with DE, added 3lbs of Shock (35000 gal) after I left she called me 2 hours later and told me the pressure had risen to 40 psi again and she is shutting it off once again. Does the amount of algae in the pool rise the psi? Is there anything I can do to keep the pressure from rising so fast so she will leave the pump running long enough to clear the algae and get the water to a clear/clean? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Does the amount of algae in the pool rise the psi?
Absolutely! Oh, and welcome to TFP! :wave: You are shocking, but that's not enough. Here at TFP we follow a "SLAM" approach (see link below). To do that you have to "maintain" a proper FC SLAM level. That proper level is based off of your current CYA. You can also refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below as well. To know those levels you must use either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That's how we ensure algae is removed for good and then the water can be maintained from there. Take a look at those links and let us know if you have more questions.

U could try filters in the skimmer to catch some bigger stuff but as said shock is no good for this. U may have really high cya and the chlorine isn't doing its job. You must test the water and keep the levels up and in a few days it will clear

A filter will not clear an algae problem. You first kill the algae with chlorine following the SLAM Process process. Then you use your filter and pool cleaner to remove the dead algae in the pool.

If her DE filter has a recirculate position use that to remove the filter during the SLAM Process and keep the pump running while maintaining shock FC levels. Once the pool passes the 3 SLAM Process exit criteria then turn the filter on.

Brush the pool frequently during the SLAM Process and do regular checks of the FC level. It is difficult to clear an algae problem without attending to the pool a few times during the day to check FC and brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.