I thought today would be the day that I could start the 24 hour soak, but alas, it rained some last night. :( I'm assuming that can mess up my readings?

Saturday night to Sunday, I saw a drop of roughly 1.5ppm in the pool, and 2.0ppm in the spa (I say roughly, because I didn't get a chance to check one final time before going to bed; it was 18/18 pool/spa, and I added bleach but didn't test again).

Last night, I had a final test of 21.0/20.5 (pool/spa), and ended up with 19.5/18. It rained, but I'm not sure how much. I think it may rain again tonight.

How much does/can rain affect readings?

What would you say the % error is/could be in the readings? (IOW, what if I accidentally put a little more or little less power in the water for the test?)

Starting day 5 of the SLAM. I know it's different for everyone, but what has been the longest SLAM you've had to do?

I definitely am following the process. So far, I've been able to manage adding chlorine 4 times a day, so that's good.

I was referring to the 24 hour elevated levels for Mustard Algae. I think (hope) I'm getting close. :)

If I know it's going to rain, should I add more chlorine ahead of the rain, or will it be OK waiting until after the rain has stopped (so I re-test and add as required from the calc)?

Rain has little effect on water chemistry unless the pool overflows by a significant amount.

The mustard algae "soak" isn't started until after you meet all 3 SLAM Process criteria.
  1. Clear water
  2. CC less than 0.5
  3. Pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Don't bother with #3 until you pass the first two. After you pass all three, then follow the mustard algae process.

I forgot about CC. :( Thank you for the reminder.

I did the OCLT last night to this morning, and it showed to be right around 1.0 loss, but my CC is 1.0.

The very unfortunate thing is that I have to leave town on Thursday AM, and I don't have anyone who knows how to test/continue this process for me (nor that I would trust, honestly). So, from that perspective, should I just turn my chlorinator on while I'm gone (48 hours) and accept the fact that I might have to start this process all over again? Or is it possible the CC could drop in one day?

How does the water look? Any visible algae anywhere? Can you easily see whether a quarter is heads or tails in the deep end? If it isn't totally clean and clear, don't bother with the OCLT - no use getting up early if you don't have to.

As far as leaving for 48+ hours, do what you have to do. If you're not done completely with the SLAM Process, resume on your return. If using pucks during your absence, re-measure your CYA on return so you dose FC correctly according to the FC/CYA Levels. How do you plan on adding FC when you are there - pucks, liquid?

How does the water look? Any visible algae anywhere?
It was clear before I even started the SLAM. The last two days looked crystal clear. Yesterday evening, when the water was still, I easily see distinct individual pebbles (because I was looking for the 3 tiny places where I had black algae.

Can you easily see whether a quarter is heads or tails in the deep end? If it isn't totally clean and clear, don't bother with the OCLT - no use getting up early if you don't have to.
Haven't tried that, but I can (if I can find a quarter, lol). If I had to guess, I'd bet I could easily tell heads v tails in the deep end. It's super clear.

This, paired with my testing over night (I always check right before bed and each morning around 7am) showing very close in ppm (very little drop), is why I was thinking (hoping) I could do the soak soon. I'm really glad you reminded me about the CC test.

On average, I've been adding chlorine 4 times a day (7am, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm), and the only large drops were on days 1 & 2. (today is day 6).

As far as leaving for 48+ hours, do what you have to do. If you're not done completely with the SLAM Process, resume on your return. If using pucks during your absence, re-measure your CYA on return so you dose FC correctly according to the FC/CYA Levels. How do you plan on adding FC when you are there - pucks, liquid?
Only mechanism I have is to use pucks via the rainbow chlorinator. I'd rather do that than a floater, since I have a spa that needs the chlorine as well.

Good point on re-checking my CYA.

As always, I greatly appreciate your help. I'd be completely lost without the TFP forums!

It sounds like the water is clear. If you can clearly see the screw heads on the main drain covers, you're good.

Hopefully your CC will be 0.5 or less later today or in the morning. Between clear water, CC 0.5 or less and passing the OCLT in the AM, you can hopefully begin the mustard algae treatment tomorrow morning - and domplete it prior to leaving.

Are you planning to use pucks long term or use liquid chlorine? If you are gone regularly and there is no one to correctly dose the pool, you may want to consider saving up your pennys for a SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It sounds like the water is clear. If you can clearly see the screw heads on the main drain covers, you're good.

Hopefully your CC will be 0.5 or less later today or in the morning. Between clear water, CC 0.5 or less and passing the OCLT in the AM, you can hopefully begin the mustard algae treatment tomorrow morning - and domplete it prior to leaving.

Oh how I wish I'd not gotten suckered into the "no-main-drain" pitch. But not for this testing reasoning, lol.

If my CC is > 0.5, would it hurt to bring the levels up to 30ppm anyway? Would it be a waste of $10?

Are you planning to use pucks long term or use liquid chlorine? If you are gone regularly and there is no one to correctly dose the pool, you may want to consider saving up your pennys for a SWG.
After reading articles and posts here in TFP, I'm sold on using liquid chlorine (which there was a way to automate the disbursement of this, especially via mobile app, like in Pentair's ScreenLogic app), but I was having trouble with the chlorinator at first and wanted to get that worked out (for these cases when I'm out of town). We may continue to use the pucks for a little while, but I really hope to get to liquid bleach (which is what I'm using right now, anyway, rather than shock product).

I've thought about SWG, but I have a LOT of stone, and (a) I don't want to have to seal all that every 6-12 months; and (b) not sure I want the "wet" look 24/7.

OK, yesterday turned out well! I got CC to 0.5 and OCLT was 1.0ppm. So, I started the 24 hour soak.

It's been really hard to keep the levels elevated to 29ppm. Is that OK? For example, 1pm, it was 25ppm. I poured bleach according to the calc. Then now at 3:15pm, it was 21.5ppm.

It is bad that I'm not keeping it at 29ppm?

You can only do as well as you can as far as keeping it at the higher level.

Keep in mind that going forward you will want to keep the FC a little higher than the normal recommendations too.

I meant to reply much sooner than this, but I wanted give you all one final update (and, again, say a HUGE THANK YOU). :)

The SLAM process (and then 24 hour soak for the mustard algae) seemed to take care of everything. I was worried having to leave the morning of the end of the soak (leaving for 48 hours without getting to test the water), but the chlorinator helped keep the levels up during that time.

So, I'm back to a beautiful, algae-free pool! :D Thank you all again, so very much, for your help and guidance. I'm so thankful to have a forum of such good people in an area where I'd imagine most new pool owners feel completely lost and overwhelmed.
:lovetfp:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.