Posting builder quotes?

Dang prices are a lot more in the Dallas area. We are doing. bigger pool but we are at $87k for the same thing. We do have about $3500 in site prep though with soil injections and gravel. Still that price is pretty much unheard of here.

Dang prices are a lot more in the Dallas area. We are doing. bigger pool but we are at $87k for the same thing. We do have about $3500 in site prep though with soil injections and gravel. Still that price is pretty much unheard of here.
Well to be honest if I was to get a bid from the bigger companies they would be in that same range as you. This guy just recently quit his industry job to do this full time and is just trying to get his name going. He is using the same trades as the big company.

I have the Pentair CCP-520 cartridge filter.. I will never go back to DE or even a sand filter.

My filter is 7 years old and still has the original cartridges.. They seem to be working just fine.

Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing, low back pressure, and no multiport valve to go bad or leak. Obviously no DE to screw with.

A set of 4 new cartridge is about $200 bucks.. So, even changing them every five years is only $40 bucks a year. Does not sound too "Expensive" to me.

Thanks

Jim R.
@Jimrahbe ty Jim. You dont miss having a multiport valve in case you have to bypass the filter?

You dont miss having a multiport valve in case you have to bypass the filter?

Everything has pros and cons, but I have never bypassed the two DE filters I have, and can't think of any reason that I would want to do that... :scratch:

Maybe I am just missing something, but why would I ever need to bypass the filter???

Without a multiport valve I can't vacuum to waste, but that is something that I have never had to do.. You can fix that issue by installing a Jandy 3-way valve between the pump and the filter, with the 3rd port going to waste. The real advantage of this valve is that you can shut it off when you take the pump lid off and prevent the pump and filter from draining back into the pool, as well as dumping to waste if needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe I think the benefit is you can keep your pool moving if you ever have a problem with the filter and it has to be offline for a period of time.

How long do the cartridges in the clean and clear filters last? IE how often do you have to clean them, are you watching the pressure like on a DE filter to know when to clean them? Do they last 4-5 years?

I looked at the Pentair 520 Clean and Clear and a set of replacement filters is around $260 which isnt bad if its every 4-5 years.

I could go an entire year before having to clean my filter, but my OCD will not let me do that.. :mrgreen:

I clean the cartridges twice a year.. Once in the Spring and again in the Fall.. You need to do it when it is warm enough to get a little wet. Takes me about two hours...

I am still using the original cartridges that are 7 years old. I expect to get 10 years out of them.. I can see a small increase in the back pressure when clean, so might breakdown and buy new ones in the next year or so. (Another OCD issue..)

I run my pump/filter 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM (I have no heater), at that speed my filter pressure is about 1 or 2 lbs.. This still gives me plenty of flow for my SWCG and skimming. I would probably have to run at 1700 RPM if I had a heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: 4x4tx
So you have a pressure gauge at the top like a DE filter?

Yes, most filters have a pressure gauge...

Most filters come with a zero to 60 lb. gauge, but I replace them with a zero to 30 lb gauge as my high pressure is around 15 lbs..

Filter "pressure" is really an indication of how much effort it takes for the pump to push the water through the filter.. The easier it is for water to flow through the filter, the lower the pressure will be.. The bigger the filter is, and the cleaner it is, the lower the pressure. As the filter gets dirty, the pressure will increase.. If you have a small filter, the pressure can increase pretty quickly as the filter gets dirty.. The larger the filter the longer it takes for the filter to get dirty.

I also use hairnets in the skimmers.. These act as a cheap pre-filter that helps keep the big crud out of the pump basket and the main filter itself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe Thank you.
To all:

Back to his equipment list:
Ok now with the Filter

I would probably reduce one of the LED lights, not sure why I need 3 in the pool depending on the savings.

As far as pumps, with the equipment he has listed. 3hp VSF Pentair pump for the pool is there any particular model of this to select?

My thoughts are to cut out the bubblers. Not sure I even want the waterfalls if I could eliminate the extra pump. Not sure if those waterfalls could run off main pump. My theory is less equipment the better to some point.

400k heater gas heater - ok

Remove chlorinator

Add multiport valve

Cut auto filler for pool

Add Easytouch automation, with IC40 pool/spa combo model 520543

Robot ok- Find out his cost vs marina pools (799 OTD)

Change depth to 3.5 -7'

Add Umbrella slots around/in pool

Confirmed 2" lines

ask about diverter valves vs ball valves

2 Skimmers confirmed

Anything else I am missing ?

Also I will not need him to removed dirt off the property I have plenty of fill in spots to use which I was told by another builder saves me $100 a load and I would have atleast 30 loads....so should be able to shave off another 3k.

As far as pumps, with the equipment he has listed. 3hp VSF Pentair pump for the pool is there any particular model of this to select?

Intellflo 011028 or 011056 pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just make sure that whatever IntelliFlo you buy does not have the SVRS option. Some pool builders try to say that SVRS is required, but that is a load of bull feathers.. More likely they are just trying to unload old and obsolete stock..

Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS) is just not required when you have two main drain covers.. I have this pump and it is the worst decision (pool wise) I ever made.. The IntelliFlo is the gold standard of pool pumps, the SVRS version is not...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Update to materials...how big a deal is 1.5" suction vs 2"?

Doesnt look like the robot credit is enough to mess with on my own either.

Builders response in bold.

POOL LIGHTS AND EQUIPMENT​

3-12V 1.5"MPT COLOR MICROBRITE LED LIGHT – If reduce by 1 how much savings $300

1-12V 1.5"MPT COLOR MICROBRITE LED LIGHT - ok

1-3hp VSF Pentair pump for the pool – model 011056? I’ll double check

1-1.5hp pentair whisperflo pump for water features - If we cut bubblers, maybe cut waterfalls if need be. This pump cost $750

1-400k btu heater – what model but ok. I typically put in Mastertemp Pentair pool heater. They are out of stock till I don’t know when, I am currently looking into raypak pool heaters.

1-Pentair cartridge filter – ok -clean and clear 520

1-3” Pentair chlorinator – remove in exchange for salt system with Pentair EasyTouch 520543 pool/spa combo with actuators. My suppliers are out of stock on this.

1- Auto filler for pool

1-Pool pole

1-Pool brush

Includes S200 Dolphon robot – How much credit I get on my own? $500

Ball valves preferred over Diverter Valves We use 3 way valves for you main drains and pool isolation as well for your spa the rest are ball valves

2 skimmers yes sir

How many main drains? 4 mains in the pool and 2 in the spa

Change Depth to 3.5” to 7” Got it

2.5” suction and 2” pressure side piping? 1 ½’ and 2’ piping used

Update to materials...how big a deal is 1.5" suction vs 2"?

It is not a big issue for a sport pool without a spa. You should always be running low to medium flow rates.

What is the difference in these two automation systems? The 521903 is about $1200 more than the easy touch. What makes that worth it?

ASYTOUCH SYSTEMS WITH INTELLICHLOR TRANSFORMER AND INTELLICHLOR CELL, EasyTouch 4SC-IC40 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell, 2 actuators)

521903 Intellicenter with Valve and IC40 Salt Cell?

The IntelliCenter is newer, has a color display, much better than the older EasyTouch.

The EasyTouch needs ScreenLogic to be able to use your phone. The IntelliCenter has a ScreenLogic-like system built in.

If I were going to build a new pool, it would have the IntelliCenter.

Thanks,

Jim R

The IntelliCenter is newer, has a color display, much better than the older EasyTouch.

The EasyTouch needs ScreenLogic to be able to use your phone. The IntelliCenter has a ScreenLogic-like system built in.

If I were going to build a new pool, it would have the IntelliCenter.

Thanks,

Jim R
Ok thanks. I was wondering why it was 1200 different. It also has the two actuators and same level of salt cell? @Jimrahbe

Last edited:
Intellicenter comes with IntelliValves. ET bundle has regular actuators I think.

Betwen the different actuators and the need for Screenlogic you have about a $700 difference between the two. So the real difference in cost is about $500. For that you get a more modern modular system that can be upgraded with OTA firmware updates and future Pentair development.

I doubt the ET will see much functional enhancements. What you buy is what you will have forever.

In case its ok, if not can delete....first bid .....based on size, equipment, how bad or good is this quote? East Houston Area

I dont want a big pool but this seems a little small for the price to me.
You’re getting a ton more pool than we are for over 10k less. We are Doing a simple rectangle 16x32. No spa. No hard scape 65k

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.