Posting builder quotes?

Either filter will do just fine.

If you are comfortable handling DE and have a place to dispose of it the Quad DE filter is a good value.

I keep hearing people recommending de filters. I don’t understand the benefits/why they’re not so common after googling. Any way you could shed some light? I just had a regular pentair cartridge filter show up for my build due to supply issues so I’m trying to figure out if I should decline it and request a different unit

DE filters can filter down to 3 microns versus 10 microns for a cartridge filter or 30 for a sand filter. The cost for that fine filtering is handling the DE.

From How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Pool Filter Types​

• Sand filters are the simplest. Most pools should use a minimum of a 24” sand filter with pools greater than 25,000 gallons or in high debris areas using a 30” filter. Sand filters use lots of water to clean them. Therefore you should select a large sand filter that will need less frequent backwashing, and thus use less water.
  • DE (diatomaceous earth) filters are a bit more complex but also use lots of water to clean and need to be refilled with DE or an alternative media. The filter sizing is in Square Feet (SF) of filter area. Minimum size of 48 SF for most pools. Pools larger than 25,000 gallons should use a 60 SF filter. This again is based reducing the backwash/cleaning frequency of the filter and thus reducing water and DE or alternative media use.
  • Hybrid DE filters use a cartridge element with DE added. They can be backwashed but are typically broken down and cleaned instead of backwashed, and thus use less water during cleaning. A minimum size of 80SF is recommended with larger pools using the 100SF models. The available Hybrid DE filters come in a few sizes. Larger, again, is always best to reduce cleaning intervals.
  • Cartridge filters use little water when being cleaned as you remove the cartridges and clean them using a hose sprayer. The cartridges do need to be replaced every few years. For most pools a cartridge filter is a great choice. The filter sizing is in Square Feet (SF) of filter area. At a minimum you want 200SF/10,000 gallons of pool volume. Some Pool Builders or websites recommend much smaller filter sizes. But for more efficient operation and less cleaning of the cartridges, more filter area is better.
Pool Filter Comparison in TFP Pool School has a more in-depth discussion about filters.

Ok guys back to getting serious. Got another bid. What is everyones thoughts on this one?

1646931334757.png

The depth will be 6ft.....anyone else that stands out? 18x35. I bought the Pentair 521903 Intellicenter with Valve and IC40 Salt Cell myself already.

Get a IntelliFlo VS pump, not a single speed Whisperflo pump.

What manufacture and model SWG?

What automation controls?

Payment schedule - 90% paid after gunite and before tile, plaster, coping, equipment, installation, deck? Too much paid too soon for me. Most of the delays and problems come after gunite and you have no financial leverage on the builder.

I second the recommendation to go to a Variable Speed Pump. Do not get a single speed pump especially since you have a SWCG.
Truthfully, with the new law that supposedly went into effect last year, they should not be able to supply a single speed pump for the main circulation system.

You mention you have the IntelliCenter with a IC40 SWCG, but the quote states PB is providing a SWCG but owner (you) is providing the automation controls. You may want to clarify that so you do not end up with 2 SWCGs.

With regard to payment schedule - maybe counter with 50% after gunite, 10% after plaster and decking and 10% at completion.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
@HermanTX @ajw22
Sorry been out on spring break.

meant to ask is 8x6 on a spa plenty big enough for 3-4 people? Is that standard size or small?

I think the description is maybe poorly written, the 1-3 I think means variable speed pump but will clarify.

He knows I bought Pentair 521903 Intellicenter with Valve and IC40 Salt Cell myself so i think he is just stating it will be a salt pool and the automation will be what I provide.

This is also an infinity pool fyi.
See video here.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
@HermanTX @ajw22
Sorry been out on spring break.

meant to ask is 8x6 on a spa plenty big enough for 3-4 people? Is that standard size or small?

I think the description is maybe poorly written, the 1-3 I think means variable speed pump but will clarify.

He knows I bought Pentair 521903 Intellicenter with Valve and IC40 Salt Cell myself so i think he is just stating it will be a salt pool and the automation will be what I provide.

This is also an infinity pool fyi.
See video here.
Very nice. 8x6 is great size. My relative has a 7x7 spa which holds 6 adults comfortably plus kids in an out of it.

Reactions: 4x4tx
Very nice. 8x6 is great size. My relative has a 7x7 spa which holds 6 adults comfortably plus kids in an out of it.
@HermanTX Ok great ty. So the pool will be located on a waterfront lot so the hope is with the infinity it will give that illusion of blending in. Outside of that really dont want anything fancy, no waterfalls or water features that require extra pumps.

Talked to the builder and he is willing to work on payment schedule. More like 15% down..50% due after gunite and rest due at completion.
I second the recommendation to go to a Variable Speed Pump. Do not get a single speed pump especially since you have a SWCG.
Truthfully, with the new law that supposedly went into effect last year, they should not be able to supply a single speed pump for the main circulation system.

You mention you have the IntelliCenter with a IC40 SWCG, but the quote states PB is providing a SWCG but owner (you) is providing the automation controls. You may want to clarify that so you do not end up with 2 SWCGs.

With regard to payment schedule - maybe counter with 50% after gunite, 10% after plaster and decking and 10% at completion.
r

I would make sure that you have a clear definition of what 'completion' is in the contract. Completion to the PB may be something completely different than what it means to you.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just signed for $82k in SW FL. It was the best price of all 8 quotes. 15x33 w/ 7x15 sun shelf, 2 benches. 4 LED color lights, 5x7 spa raised 12” w/ spillover. 2300sq ft of paver decking w/ concrete edge restraint. All Jandy equipment w/ automation. Upgraded the pool finish to Pacific Blue from Florida Stucco. Added an extra skimmer. System is salt. Also had to pay for water fill because I am on a well. $1500 in water dump.

Reactions: TKpoolOH and 4x4tx
What is the thoughts on the pentair rebel cleaner? Seems pretty simple vs a robot in a pool that shouldnt have too much debris ?

I just signed for $82k in SW FL. It was the best price of all 8 quotes. 15x33 w/ 7x15 sun shelf, 2 benches. 4 LED color lights, 5x7 spa raised 12” w/ spillover. 2300sq ft of paver decking w/ concrete edge restraint. All Jandy equipment w/ automation. Upgraded the pool finish to Pacific Blue from Florida Stucco. Added an extra skimmer. System is salt. Also had to pay for water fill because I am on a well. $1500 in water dump.
I dont think that is a bad price

equipment installed
pentair 011060 intelliflo i2 VS
pentair 022056 PMP intelliflo XF VSF

Any concerns on those two pumps?

420sqft clean and clear cartridge filter 160301
460736 HTR 400 Mastertemp Heater
620426 mircorbrite color 150 - think i have 4 of these

equipment installed
pentair 011060 intelliflo i2 VS
pentair 022056 PMP intelliflo XF VSF

Any concerns on those two pumps?

What is each pump for?

Why the i2? Are you limited to a 15 amp breaker?

IntelliFlo i2 Variable Speed Pool pump is hydraulically engineered to provide maximum performance on a 15-amp breaker. It has a maximum rating of 11.8 amps, which makes retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size.

What is each pump for?

Why the i2? Are you limited to a 15 amp breaker?

IntelliFlo i2 Variable Speed Pool pump is hydraulically engineered to provide maximum performance on a 15-amp breaker. It has a maximum rating of 11.8 amps, which makes retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size.

So its an infinity pool.....the second 2hp pump is specifically just to run like a water feature to push water over the edge into the basin with force is what I was told. The 3hp run the rest of the pool.

Also the s200 is on backorder for 4 months...builder is offering the rebel suction cleaner or the pentair 8520? He claims the 8520 is similar to the s200?

So its an infinity pool.....the second 2hp pump is specifically just to run like a water feature to push water over the edge into the basin with force is what I was told. The 3hp run the rest of the pool.

Also the s200 is on backorder for 4 months...builder is offering the rebel suction cleaner or the pentair 8520? He claims the 8520 is similar to the s200?
Hi 4x4tx,

I am in Houston (Spring) and looking to build a pool. I also got a quote from Precision pool, which is competent but looks like they are set with what equipment they will use. Why did you decided not to go with Precision pools? Who did you eventually sink with? Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Taj

Hi 4x4tx,

I am in Houston (Spring) and looking to build a pool. I also got a quote from Precision pool, which is competent but looks like they are set with what equipment they will use. Why did you decided not to go with Precision pools? Who did you eventually sink with? Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Taj
Send me a private message. Part of it was definitely being stuck in a set of equipment they like. Also scheduling....I dug on april 3rd and had water by april 29th.

Crazy how much different prices are in different states. Here in NorCal for me with no spa, 34x16 with raised wall and a few water descents is $75k. Got multiple quotes and they are within range of each other too.

Tell me about it! I have quotes in the $100k range here in Central Florida of what I'd consider relatively simple pools (aka no gratos, slides, etc...).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.