Possibly Converting to Salt--ARE THE MONTHLY CHEMICAL SAVINGS REALLY THERE??

Jun 9, 2014
Charlotte, NC
For all you SWG owners who converted from chlorine to saltwater, are your savings truly a lot compared to the regular chlorine pool method? I currently use the BBB method for my chlorine pool, and spend a ton of money on bleach every month. I spend about $175 per month (sometimes $200) and I usually spend this amount EACH month from March to September, it's killing me! I'd hate to convert to salt to find that I will be spending the same or just a little less on salt per month. I'd love to hear others experience who's made the conversion, and experienced a savings big or small or none at all. Thanks in advance!

Well, you won’t have to buy bleach every month anymore. However, depending on the size of your pool you will have to add salt. I think my 36,000 gallon pool took ~25 bags of salt at $8 initially. After that, I’ve been adding a bag or two every year due to splash out or when the pool company lowers the water level to cover it. The only other major expense when dealing with a SWG is replacing it ever few years which could be in the $500-800 range.

Oh - I do usually buy a 5 gallon jug or two in April / May to add chlorine to the pool. SWG’s don’t really work when the water is 65 degrees or so. I add it manually in September / October too when I’m not using the pool but running the spa.

@Esloser, thanks for the reply. Do you mean replacing the salt cell, or the whole unit, every few years? I read the salt cells typically last around 3 years or so and cost about $300-500. I was assuming the generators have a longer lifespan but not sure??

Im on year 5 with mine...knocks on wood...
About 1 gallon of muratic acid and 4 or 5 bags of salt per year.

Is it worth it...he double hockey sticks yes.

Thanks everyone!! this all sounds good and just what I wanted to hear.

I really don't know why my pool uses so much chlorine daily, all my levels are good but I could probably stand to increase my CYA to help..I live in the super hot and humid Charlotte, NC area, and pool is in full sun which doesn't help.

We recommend one at least 2X your pool volume. So a 60K gallon rated SWCG is what you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
a,

One jug of 8.25% bleach in a 28K pool will increase your FC by about 3ppm... Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm per day, so let's call it 3 ppm per day or one jug a day. At $6 bucks a jug that is about $175 a month...

What CYA level are you running?

Keep in mind we recommend that a SWCG be rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool, or in your case 60K.... Also keep in mind that you will have to run your pump much longer to generate the amount of chlorine you will need. A VS pump or 2-speed pump is almost a must for a large pool like yours.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

ps.. You might want to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT), just to make sure that you don't have something eating your chlorine... See this link... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

It isn’t just about saving dollars, although that is nice too. It’s about ease and convenience. I left for 8 days. Got back, pool was perfect. I rarely have to add anything. My PH doesn’t drift, unlike what some other folks experience.

Don't do SWG for savings. Do it for convenience. The savings is probably not there. I have a chlorine injection pump and run my pump 2-3 hours per day. To run the pump for 12 hours for a SWG to make enough chlorine, I'd spend more on electricity than my chlorine even costs. Considering this need for extended pump run time, there is no savings. It costs more to use a SWG. Do it for convenience..

Don't do SWG for savings. Do it for convenience. The savings is probably not there. I have a chlorine injection pump and run my pump 2-3 hours per day. To run the pump for 12 hours for a SWG to make enough chlorine, I'd spend more on electricity than my chlorine even costs. Considering this need for extended pump run time, there is no savings. It costs more to use a SWG. Do it for convenience..
I can't say exactly what my electric costs are for extended run for my swg, but it def isn't the $175/mo that OP experience in adding chlorine. My electric bill rarely is that much in total, peak of summer here in FL.

I've calculated that i pay about $20-25/mo to run my pump for the summer, less for the winter. Guessing that I'd save $10 or so if I didn't have my SWG. No idea how much actually operating my SWG adds, maybe I should.

I guess then add $10 per month for the cost/depletion of the SWG, seems there's still a cost benefit. But agree convenience is an additional benefit, huge!

A SWG for the OP will pay for itself in the first year of use and is the way to go.

My SWG took 2 years to pay itself off and I still have a year left on the warranty to get a new cell if it fails. The good part is that the cost of a new cell will only take one year to pay itself off for the amount of chlorine my pool uses, $40 a month, and the cells come with a 3 year warranty zero cost replacement.

Run to a SWCG immediately. The cells are guaranteed for three years if you go Hayward. I believe Pentair and Jandy are only 2? Amortize a salt system over 6 years considering one new cell purchased in year 4, your costs should be under $2000. That includes salt, stabilizer and Acid to drop ph.

6 years your way is over $8,000

You have to consider the convenience as well. No more lugging bottles, no more filling up trash bags.

I asked this question recently before converting. I too was spending close to what you are, if not more. After calculating it out, SWG was cheaper for me after a 7 year cycle. I went with a RJ60+ that has a 7 year warranty. Assuming I take care of it and run it at 55%, I'm hoping it will last longer. But the biggest reason why I personally saw a benefit was the convenience factor of not buying 15 jugs of bleach every time I went to HD. So far, my family loves it. I rolled my eyes everytime someone commented on how much better it feels to have a SWG, bc I didn't care about that.. but now I understand. Lol

MA isn't to much a deal I learned. You have to keep your pH in range for chlorine to work regardless of LB or SW source. SW isn't going to cause your pH to go up.

Summary:
SWG is probably the way to go based on convenience but not economics.
SWG require longer pool pump run times increasing your electricity cost.
Recurring daily costs: $1.17 daily SWG electricity vs $1.29 daily bleach (not considering any hardware / salt / acid / etc.)
Time commitment: 2 hours per year hauling bleach / jug recycle. 10 minutes every 2 weeks pouring bleach into tank.
If you are going to buy a SWG, a higher capacity SWG will last longer and require shorter pump run times.

Full Text:
I agree with the use of a SWG. I do not use one because I have a pool with aluminum sides and am afraid of the potential corrosion. If my pool had more corrosion resistant construction materials, I'd have one.
The convenience is worth it.

But economics is another thing. Each person's situation is different. In my case, I don't run my pump any more than 3 hours per day: that's all it takes. My Stenner pump puts in 1 ppm FC per hour or run time but could be set to run it in faster. I run my pool pump for up to 3 hours for filtration and circulation. If I had a SWG and ran the pump 12 hours per day, that's an additional 9 hours of pool pump time that I don't need.

Math - the hard core numbers
9 additional hours for my 1000 watt pump and $0.13/KWH electricity - 9 hours x $0.13/KWH = $1.17 per day extra electricity cost

87 oz of 6% Walmart cleaning bleach @$1.77/gallon (provides 3ppm for my pool) - 87oz x 1gal/128oz x $1.77/gall = $1.20. Now add sales tax: $1.20 x 1.075 = $1.29 per day bleach cost

Final electricity cost vs chlorine cost for my situation $1.17 SWG electricity cost vs $1.29 bleach cost

So not considering any costs for installation of Stenner vs SWG, hauling bleach, or for salt / muriatic acid, the extra electricity cost required for longer SWG run times almost pays my chlorine bill. I only run my pump 3 hours in the hottest part of the summer. Right now I'm running it for 2.5 hours per day. Everyone's situation is different. I don't like hauling bleach, but only do it a few times per year. I go to a small "Neighborhood" Walmart, order the bleach in the store, and go back and pick it up. I am not driving around looking for bleach. i buy 40 gallons at the time because that's what will fit in my vehicle. It will all fit in one shopping cart (stacked up in cases). The 6% bleach is the cheapest in my area AND its more stable than the higher concentrations. I don't worry about manufacturing dates.

If I bought a SWG, I'd want a larger one that would last longer and require less pump run time. I'd also want a variable speed pump to reduce electricity costs. You need to be sure that lower flow rates in the slower speed modes will allow the SWG to produce chlorine. The following chart may help decide which SWG is right for you Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

The reason to do a SWG is convenience and it's a BIG reason (you don't have to handle the jugs). Use your your specific numbers: additional pump run time needed, pump watts, electricity costs, chlorine costs, SWG or Stenner pump costs, and your DIY abilities.

Using my numbers, I can't see how the SWG is an economic advantage. The additional pump run requirements essentially negates the savings in my situation. But still, if I didn't have concerns for corrosion, I WOULD have a SWG.

My Stenner chlorine injection system is easy. I only check FC and pH weekly on Sundays, other labs once a month or after major rain and drain event. It's so stable I'm considering decreasing my checks to once every 2 weeks. I opened the pool in March at 1 ppm FC daily. I later went up to 1.75 ppm and am now at 2.5 ppm FC daily additions. My pool maintenance time is getting the leaves out of the skimmer basket and pool cleaner bag. 95% of the chemistry maintenance is taken care of by the daily Stenner chlorine injection.

I agree that if you take control of your pool with TFP care and advice you will save a lot of your hard earned money. So which ever way you chlorinate your saving money by doing it your self. I went SWG after doing the math (time/cost of LC/)and i love it. I could see it paying for its self by next year .If there is any question about that i can show my calculations :cool: i think a lot of peeps here can too. Time is money!!!! and free time is pool time >>.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.