Possible new pool build this fall- help with quote, please!

cunningmk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Southeastern PA
Husband and I are hoping to start our first ever new pool build this fall. We've gotten several PB quotes, and are leaning towards one. See details below. Any and all help/input on the contract would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Pool Dimensions: 39' length, 17'8" width with additional 9' x 9' tanning ledge, 3'6" - 8'6" depth in pool, 9" water depth on ledge
  • Pool Size: 770 square feet
  • Pool Style: Custom Rectangle with L Shaped Steps and Tanning Ledge
  • Plans: The prints and design concepts required for the township and for construction are
provided.

• Building Permit: The building permit cost is included and our certificate of insurance is
made available to the building department.

• Excavation: Normal excavation and machine grading of excavated soil is included on the
day of excavation only. PB will arrange for dirt removal, on the day of excavation
only, if necessary. Temporary construction fence as well as erosion type fence is also
included. If extraordinary underground conditions arise such as rock, water, or fill, there
may be extra costs involved.

• Engineering: Your township will require engineering of your property as part of the
permitting process. Each township requires a different amount of work to be done. For that
reason, the homeowner will pay the engineering firm directly for the exact amount of
engineering that is required.

• Plumbing features: Your pool design includes piping for hydraulic efficiency and to meet
the new Safety Codes Act. Water is circulated through three top returns and three
floor returns. Floor returns increase solar heat gain by taking heated water from the pool
surface and injecting it up through the floor. Two large turbo skimmers provide up to
twice as fast surface skimming with safety compared to a typical pool skimmer.

• Steel Reinforcement: Designed for virgin soil. The placement of the steel is 6”x12” in
the deep end walls, 4”x12” in the transition and 12”x12” in the shallow end. The steel
provides the structural strength to retain the weight of the water, 8 1/2 lbs per gallon. We
use ½” bars throughout the structure and extra wide bond beam will have 8, ½” steel rebar
for extra strength. Steel provides the tensile strength to give your pool shell structural
integrity and provides you with the peace of mind that your pool is stronger and will last a
lifetime.

• Concrete construction: Our pools are constructed with dry Shotcrete (also known as
Gunite); this method is used exclusively in heavy construction such as in rocket launch
pads, tunnels, bridge reconstruction, water tanks, dam repairs, steel mill ovens and large
commercial swimming pools as well as better built residential swimming pools and spas. It
is important to know that your pool builder is using the best methods available for the
construction of your pool.

• Steps and Benches: Three steps lead into your pool with the first step enlarged into a 81
sq. ft. tanning ledge with umbrella holder.

• There is an 8’ walk out bench in the deep end.
  • Tile: 6” band of mosaic tile around the entire pool.
  • Coping: Bluestone tread stock coping 2” thick with a thermal finish.
  • Pool Finish: Marbleized plaster with a silicon shield additive. Colors come in white, gray
or blue.

• Electric: General pool wiring with up to 150’ of wire, 220 volt, and 40 amp service.
  • Gas Plumbing: 50 ft. of gas line is included in your quote. For distances over 50 ft. add
$15.75/linear ft. of piping.

• Deck: 950 Sq. Ft. of exposed aggregate concrete with electric bonding grid and matching skimmer
pour lids.

• Pool lighting: Four Glo Brite LED lights, the newest generation of LED lights will be
installed in your pool. Most pools have one or two lights, with these new lights you get
more even light throughout your pool. LED lights will operate at approximately 2/3 less
electricity than a traditional incandescent light bulb and will last approximately 30,000+
hours. Traditional incandescent light bulbs have a life of only 5,000 hours.

• Filtering system and circulation system: Pool filtration will be done through a
Diatomaceous Earth filter with multi-port valve.

• Circulation will be provided by a high performance, quiet 1 HP StaRite pump.
  • Heater: Sta-Rite High Performance HD heater 400,000 BTU heater has a stainless
steel sealed combustion chamber with air induced flame to provide more energy
efficiency as well as low NOX (LESS AIR POLUTION). The heavy-duty cupro nickel
heat exchanger stands up to the harshest applications.

• Sanitization: Intelli Chlor system turns ordinary table salt into liquid chlorine. Your chlorine
generator creates pure chlorine in your pool and eliminates the need to buy and maintain
another sanitizer. This system comes with a chlorine dispenser back-up.

• Water: Your pool will be filled by water tankers with the last few inches being filled with the
customer’s house water.

• Cleaner: The Polaris automatic cleaner and pump will be installed to provide automatic
cleaning of the pool floor as often as needed and at times convenient for you.

• Startup package and instruction: Our courteous staff will start up your pool and provide
you with a brush, pole, net, thermometer and Professional type test kit. PB will provide
you with the initial balancing of the water chemistry and provide initial and on-going
instruction on the operation of your pool PB Warrantees: All warrantees will be
issued on day of indoctrination when no payments are outstanding. There is a lifetime
structural warranty on the pool and a three year warrantee on the filter, pump, and
heater. PB is an authorized service center for the manufacturer and warranty work is
performed by PB’s service staff.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Two things jump out at me. One is a single speed pump with a SWCG. No. Get a Variable Speed pump. As you show a Pentair SWCG, get an Intelliflo VS pump. Combining that with an EasyTouch automation system makes it complete.

The other is a pressure side cleaner. One of our esteemed Moderators equates that to a rotary dial telephone. Get a robot. You can do it outside of the pool contract. We can suggest some to look at.

Have fun!

I don't see a bottom drain. This is somewhat subjective if needed but I would always want one. I would also suggest the bottom drain homerun back to the pad and not tie into the skimmer as some builders do.

I would suggest a cartridge filter. I have worked on both and the DE filter is such a mess to deal with. Cartridge filter clean 1-2 times the entire season takes around 45 minutes for a 4 cartridge system.

One thing we did not get and I would highly recommend is a handrail. They are difficult and expensive to add after the fact since they must be bonded with your pool bonding grid. Make sure to get ones that are removable.

Also did not see a safety cover (loop lock or something like that).

Is a fence included with the bid? Is it required?

Fence is required but not done by PB. We will contract independently. I’ll ask about the removable handrail, filter, and drain. Thanks for the reminder about the safety cover. It was provided in an earlier quote from the same PB, but not mentioned in this one.

We are meeting with PB again on Monday afternoon so I should have pretty drawings that are done to scale then. In the meantime, here’s what I sent him for our re-design. Already, our pool and decking have changed shapes/layouts quite a bit- the pretty pics I have were from our first (and second) modified rectangle shapes. Think we will go with this L shape one- for now- anyways.

As for where it will go, I will try to take some pictures from second floor tomorrow in the daylight.
F6105A64-B669-4048-A7EE-33ABFB04C9C9.jpg

Try to get some additional specifics if you can, namely:

1) Thickness of gunite shell
2) Are all returns/drains home runs back to the pad? what size piping will be used? you will want 2" on everything
3) Model numbers for salt system - you have a large pool, you will definitely want the IC60 if you're sticking with Pentair
4) Are you planning for any current or future water features like bubblers, waterfall, etc?

I'm in your area as well and would be happy to share what I've learned in the past year or so of research. We've interviewed 8+ PBs before finally moving on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like that. Great way to show us what you are thinking!

Unions on all pieces of equipment that might need to be serviced or replaced down the road

GOOD valves like Jandy...never lube and can be rebuilt. NO ball valves. They may get brittle and break down the road.

Kim:kim:

We signed a contract (yay!) and are now waiting for the engineer to get a topographical survey done for the permit process to begin. Thanks for all of your help with the right questions to ask pb. One question- is a 9’ x 9’ sun shelf large enough for a chaise lounger or maybe two? Not sure how much use it will really get. Thanks in advance for your help. 7A0B82DF-BA94-45AC-8953-54C653ABAC0C.jpg

What a fun, exciting, scary time in your life!!! I LOVE what I see in the pic! Looks like you have settled on your pool design! SWEET!

For the sun shelf get your hose out and mark out the 9x9 with it. Then get two large towels and make them the size of the kind of loungers you are thinking of getting and put them inside the 9X9............do you think that is enough room? Will there be room to walk between to get into the pool?

Make sure to share you equipment making sure to have model numbers for each one so we can look it all over and make any changes needed.

9X9 should be fine for the loungers. Congrats on the contract signing and making it official. :) BTW where are you located/township?

It’s been a long road, but we just (finally) got our permit from the township. We are meeting with pb and landscaper on Monday to decide next steps/timing of the project. Not sure if it’s an option to start the project now or if we will have to wait till spring at this point. Thoughts/questions to ask about timing are appreciated.

As for equipment type/ model numbers-
Sta rite max-e-therm hd 400,000 btu heater
Intellichlor ic60 swg

I will ask for model numbers of pump (1 hp sta rite) de filter, and Polaris automatic cleaner on Monday.

Let me know what I am missing. Thanks!

The ground being frozen could stop the dig.

Can't shoot the shell below 40 degrees. You also don't want the hole to just sit there with out the concrete on it as it could cave in.

Should not put the plaster in then cover everything up as you need to brush it and keep the water balanced. Now IF you can dig and shoot the shell then it can sit there and wait on the plaster to be done in the Spring.

It will be interesting to see what twist your PB puts on the above. Remember he needs the money so may say just about anything..........do your research before you agree to anything.

Excavation day!!! So far so good, as far as I can tell anyways. Hoping the temps stay relatively warm over the next few days and the rain forecasted for this weekend isn’t too bad. Supposed to do plumbing tomorrow, rebar Monday and gunite on Tuesday. Any last minute pointers? We decided to change the dimensions of the sun shelf to 8’ x 12’. Otherwise, to plan.
A639DAF7-EBF2-4391-BEE6-4C50351896F9.jpg

Let the MUD begin!

Okay so go out with your plans and a tape measure. Add about 8" for steel, gunite, and plaster. Is the pool wide, long, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to fix if needed or tweak as you did with the shelf.

Is the plan to let it sit at gunite stage until spring? That would be my preference. And a truck full of straw to spread around. Unless you have no dogs or kids.

Our pools are very similar in size though ours has no shelf. Looks like a great project!

Kim, the measurements seem to all be right in line with what you're saying for steel, gunite, and plaster as well as the coping. Thanks for the advice.

bmoreswim, yes, that is the plan- gunite on Tuesday (hopefully) and then wait till spring. We have three kids and a small dog, so we'll check into the straw. Otherwise I guess our backyard will be off limits as much as possible.

We are going to add a basketball hoop, handrail, deep end/shallow end rope, and umbrella holder. Is there anything else we need to think about/plan for before gunite this week?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.