Pool wall/ liner damage

jayewest46

Apr 21, 2024
new hampshire
We had a pool installed in the fall of 2023. We live in NH. The pool is a sharlkine, oceanic 15x30. The liner was installed on a fairly cold day and the water was also put in the same day, 11,900 gallons. The next day we noticed this large dent in the pool. We also noticed another small one in another section. The pool installer said it was not an issue. In the spring they would kick it out. He came back and said tried to use a dent puller on the outside of the pool. That did not work. He then went into the pool and tried to kick it out several times but the dent didn’t come out. He then pulled the liner from the pool wall and stuck a pole inside to try to push out the dent. At that point we told him to stop. We said the pool needs to be drained to continue any repairs and he agreed.

Before they came to repair the pool I contacted other pool companies. Several told me that a block was set wrong or not level. Or there could be a something obstructing the track. They also told me that the pool should be empty for these repairs. Our pool company told us they were confident that they could fix the dent without doing anything that I mentioned. Seems they couldn’t….

We are now very concerned that our liner has been compromised from all the pushing and pulling they have done. We are also worried that the wall could be damaged.

Has anyone had this issue before? We just want the repair to be done correctly and unfortunately we paid them in full with a check.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 20
The liner will be fine so long as they don't take it all the way off. If they take it all the way off they will have to replace the liner as, so far, no one has been able to rehang a liner once the holes are cut for the return and skimmer.

I agree with the person that said there is something off with the area under that upright.

The liner will be fine so long as they don't take it all the way off. If they take it all the way off they will have to replace the liner as, so far, no one has been able to rehang a liner once the holes are cut for the return and skimmer.

I agree with the person that said there is something off with the area under that upright.
Thank you very much for responding. I really appreciate it.

It looks like the wall is not in the track there & there probably is also a high spot underneath that upright.
Move that dirt so you can see the bottom track & take pictures of it.
This absolutely requires a drain to repair.
They should pay for your refill water & assume the risk of needing to replace your liner if it doesn’t restretch properly upon refilling. This is 100% their fault.
The work of replacing the liner needs to be done on a very warm & sunny day whether you reuse the liner or get a new one. The trouble with reusing the old one is getting it lined back up since the holes are already cut in & without water it can shrink up. Its less than a year old so it should stretch ok but we generally tell people to buy a new liner because it’s a risky toss up & hard to align exactly as it was before. They may be planning to not actually pull the liner out - just fix the high spot from the outside, which would mean that they aren’t completely removing the liner (possibly only in that area) so no lining it back up with the skimmer & return problems. Which is ok but you need to know what exactly they intend to do.
The wall doesn’t look terribly creased & the crease is in the best spot it could be since that will be supported by the upright as well.

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
It looks like the wall is not in the track there & there probably is also a high spot underneath that upright.
Move that dirt so you can see the bottom track & take pictures of it.
This absolutely requires a drain to repair.
They should pay for your refill water & assume the risk of needing to replace your liner if it doesn’t restretch properly upon refilling. This is 100% their fault.
The work of replacing the liner needs to be done on a very warm & sunny day whether you reuse the liner or get a new one. The trouble with reusing the old one is getting it lined back up since the holes are already cut in & without water it can shrink up. Its less than a year old so it should stretch ok but we generally tell people to buy a new liner because it’s a risky toss up & hard to align exactly as it was before. They may be planning to not actually pull the liner out - just fix the high spot from the outside, which would mean that they aren’t completely removing the liner (possibly only in that area) so no lining it back up with the skimmer & return problems. Which is ok but you need to know what exactly they intend to do.
The wall doesn’t look terribly creased & the crease is in the best spot it could be since that will be supported by the upright as well.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this. I really appreciate it.

The first picture above looks like the upright is too far inward. May be an optical illusion but a level would confirm or deny this.
Is this a rip/tear/puncture or just debris?
IMG_9734.jpeg

Are all these pics in your last post the same location/upright?

Is this upright/buttress next to the other one in the first post/photo?

Is the pool un level?