Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello TFP Community! First post here. My pool is under construction. Specs should be in signature. During the build I’ve been reading up on maintaining pools. Came upon the TFP method. Buy into the TFP logic, read the pool school book, and TF-100 kit will be ordered soon!

Reason for my post is to ask if I should have (think I still can at this point in the build) gone with a SWG?

I’ve heard pros and cons of a SWG pool e.g. corrosion/wear and tear of pool equipment, issues with soft stone (our coping is travertine) - but sealing can resolve this issue? Maintain proper levels CC, pH, TA, etc. and corrosion/wear and tear shouldn’t be a problem?

I’ve read several TFP threads on SWG vs Chlorinated and I’m undecided. Cost is another factor in that I know SWG is more upfront BUT liquid chlorine prices seem to be on the rise and getting product looks to be getting more difficult too.

In preparing to add chlorine daily, and attempting to try and save time on pool upkeep long term, I’ve been looking to a Stenner 30 gallon peristaltic system with a UV protected tank. Considered this based on other TFP users approaches.

Any advice or .02 cents based on your experience is GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

• E174E07A-4776-47C5-87D1-E523EAEE855B.jpeg
    E174E07A-4776-47C5-87D1-E523EAEE855B.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 32
  • F4AFFF5D-8031-4E7A-84E3-7812013E57B8.jpeg
    F4AFFF5D-8031-4E7A-84E3-7812013E57B8.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hey FT !!! What’s done is done around your pool. If the stones are of soft quality they will erode from being outdoors no matter which way you chlorinate you pool. The Texas builders like to blame salt systems for the local stone’s inability to hold up to the elements. You have lots available locally, but it would cost a fortune to ship harder materials from a few states away.

Anywho, a liquid chlorine pool will end up around 1500 ppm salt from the bleach used (sodium Hyperchlorite).

A salt pool is around 3,000 ppm. (So roughly double……. Oh No !!!! Sooooo scary !!! But wait for it…….).

the ocean is *30,000* ppm. 10X that of a salt pool. The Texas builder fear mongers place all of their blame on the difference between 5% and 10% of seawater. That’s it. But they can make it sound scary and half the state believes it.

So I’d go for it. If you are going to have stone problems, you are going to have them either way.

Also you mentioned a Stenner UV system. The stenner chlorine pumps are great for the liquid folks. UV systems are useless in residential outdoor pools. No little wussy light bulb can possible compare to the stupid high blazing UV you already get for free from the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fr8truk
Thanks for the response!

I should’ve been more clear on the Stenner tank system - the tank itself is UV protected...

Reactions: Newdude
F,

I have three saltwater pools... In total they are about 25 years old. I have seen zero corrosion, erosion, or any equipment or mechanical problems, that could in anyway be related to saltwater.

The salt level in a saltwater pool is about the same at your tears..

I'd just as soon fill them in with dirt as not have them be saltwater pools.

A Stenner tank is the next best thing to a saltwater system, but you still have to lug gallons of Liquid Chlorine home.

Since you have a Spa and Pool, are you getting an automation system? If so, then you should upgrade the automation to include the salt system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

F,

I have three saltwater pools... In total they are about 25 years old. I have seen zero corrosion, erosion, or any equipment or mechanical problems, that could in anyway be related to saltwater.

The salt level in a saltwater pool is about the same at your tears..

I'd just as soon fill them in with dirt as not have them be saltwater pools.

A Stenner tank is the next best thing to a saltwater system, but you still have to lug gallons of Liquid Chlorine home.

Since you have a Spa and Pool, are you getting an automation system? If so, then you should upgrade the automation to include the salt system.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim. Thanks for weighing in!

I will have electronic controls for the lights, turning hot tub on/off, prolly a couple other things too. Guess I should know, but not sure if that’s the type of automation you’re referring to...

F,

Show us some pics...

Maybe not.. I just realized that your pool is still under construction... :mrgreen:

Your contract should list the type of automation..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Contract says we’ll have 4 function electronic controls. Nothing specific about automation. Texted my PB for clarification.

Equipment isn’t setup yet, probably happen in the next few weeks. One of the reason why I’m asking the SWG questions😁

Here’s a couple pics from this AM!

Attachments

• 4BDA3D9A-43DF-4FC2-8E5C-2C0B116A3C99.jpeg
    4BDA3D9A-43DF-4FC2-8E5C-2C0B116A3C99.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1079AA90-903B-4575-B4FD-83CA12AE5E03.jpeg
    1079AA90-903B-4575-B4FD-83CA12AE5E03.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 9
Here's the breakdown
SWG pool salinity 3400 ppm
Tears salinity 7000 ppm
Ocean salinity 34,000 ppm

Salinity at the level of the ocean will cause corrosion ant the level of a SWG... not so much. Its HALF that of your tears. I've had my SWG for since 2005 and I have not had any salt damage.

And the cost.. well that is the gift that keeps on giving. lets say it costs $1500 to add a SWG and it takes roughly 3 years to use the equivalent amount of liquid chlorine.. at that point its a wash. What if the SWG lasts longer than that? Then its FREE CHLORINE! My first SWG cell lasted over 9 years, so I got 6 years of free chlorine! My second cell is cheaper, I only had to purchase the cell... its now on year 7.. so I am on another 6 years of free chlorine.. more or less. Sure a Stenner pump will chlorinate your pool for you in the same fashion, but you will still have to haul it and refill the tank. And there is another whole discussion about the quality of the water...

I can say without question adding an SWG to my pool was the BEST home improvement investment I ever made.

Here's the breakdown
SWG pool salinity 3400 ppm
Tears salinity 7000 ppm
Ocean salinity 34,000 ppm

Salinity at the level of the ocean will cause corrosion ant the level of a SWG... not so much. Its HALF that of your tears. I've had my SWG for since 2005 and I have not had any salt damage.

And the cost.. well that is the gift that keeps on giving. lets say it costs $1500 to add a SWG and it takes roughly 3 years to use the equivalent amount of liquid chlorine.. at that point its a wash. What if the SWG lasts longer than that? Then its FREE CHLORINE! My first SWG cell lasted over 9 years, so I got 6 years of free chlorine! My second cell is cheaper, I only had to purchase the cell... its now on year 7.. so I am on another 6 years of free chlorine.. more or less. Sure a Stenner pump will chlorinate your pool for you in the same fashion, but you will still have to haul it and refill the tank. And there is another whole discussion about the quality of the water...

I can say without question adding an SWG to my pool was the BEST home improvement investment I ever made.
Great perspective and facts - thank you! Now I need to figure out how to tell the Mrs we need to spend more money on the build for a SWG. I was afraid asking the question would lead to this! 🤣

Thanks again.

Reactions: Newdude
Another angle to think about, what if you travel out of town for 2 weeks? With liquid you either have to dump enough chlorine to bring it to kill mode and hope it hold or pay someone to check on it. Which isn’t as easy as it sounds.
Or option 3 set the SWG and leave it alone. I really liked going away for 2 weeks and coming back to the same FC level as I left with along with clear water.

Last point is swimming in a salt pool leaves your skin smooth vs sticky with tablets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another angle to think about, what if you travel out of town for 2 weeks? With liquid you either have to dump enough chlorine to bring it to kill mode and hope it hold or pay someone to check on it. Which isn’t as easy as it sounds.
Or option 3 set the SWG and leave it alone. I really liked going away for 2 weeks and coming back to the same FC level as I left with along with clear water.

Last point is swimming in a salt pool leaves your skin smooth vs sticky with tablets.
Too true, that’s a great point. Had thought a Stenner tank would/should effectively be the same but the ROI is really making me lean harder into a SWG.

Too true, that’s a great point. Had thought a Stenner tank would/should effectively be the same but the ROI is really making me lean harder into a SWG.
Its tough to pay the upfront cost but worth it. Didn't see mention of a cleaner but get a robot and have a safe outlet put somewhere. Those 2 purchases made my pool life boring :)
I just add a little acid every 2 weeks to keep my PH down. IMHO Its not that hard and homedepot sells 2 gallons for around $12 and that last a while. I don't even test a lot, just pour a little and maybe test PH every 2 or 3 weeks.
Not my money so easy to say but hey pools aren't cheap so another $2000 for robot and SWG would be worth it IMHO

Reactions: mguzzy
Its tough to pay the upfront cost but worth it. Didn't see mention of a cleaner but get a robot and have a safe outlet put somewhere. Those 2 purchases made my pool life boring :)
I just add a little acid every 2 weeks to keep my PH down. IMHO Its not that hard and homedepot sells 2 gallons for around $12 and that last a while. I don't even test a lot, just pour a little and maybe test PH every 2 or 3 weeks.
Not my money so easy to say but hey pools aren't cheap so another $2000 for robot and SWG would be worth it IMHO
Boring pool upkeep life sounds great! 😀
I’ve been reading up on sizing, seems a Pentair IC40 bundle kit should do the trick for a 15k gallon pool spa combo?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.