Jun 13, 2021
Chelan Wa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
Our pool is in a vacation home, so I'm not present to test/correct every day.
We have a pool service company that services the pool every 2 weeks, they last serviced on 5/10.
Their report is attached.

We visited starting 5/12, I did a test for levels using the TFT-100 test kit and noticed CC were testing at 2.5 (and the water was slightly cloudy) and proceeded to SLAM for the 3 nights I was there
The last morning before we left results were as follows:
FC: 13.5
CC: 1
pH: 7.4
TA: 170 (not really sure how this is getting that high, considering an aerator, kids splashing, jumping isn't cutting it)
CYA: 40

I added 63 oz of 10% chlorine per the poolmath app before I left.

I asked the pool tech why they don't test for CCs (I've included their report) and his response is below.
I've also attached some of the ridiculous stuff the company is adding and charging every few months.

Questions:
- What would explain the discrepancy between the TFT test I did for CC and the pool tech's statement of 0 detected (still not convinced they do test but want to make sure I'm accounting for something that could change between his visit on 5/10 and my test on 5/12)
- I've noticed they add things like "clarifiers, enzymes, stain removers" and charge a ton for those so I've told them not to add anything other than Chlorine and CYA if needed (if level is below 40). What would you folks recommend?
- Overall the issue is we're there only every other weekend in the summer. This company is there every 2 weeks as well. The first year I wanted to have the company to manage the pool and let them "have at it". However I paid about $6,000 in service and chemicals, more importantly, I don't trust all the stuff being added to the pool. I want to reign it in this year and only add chlorine and clean the pool so we can enjoy it. If the readings are right why add anything to the pool? What would you folks do in this situation?

Pool tech's response (I haven't modified the set points but that's besides the point):

I will check on the pool/spa autofills when I'm there again! So, I think that there may be some confusion on your end as far as what combined chlorine is, what the function of chloramines, and how organics grow within water systems, but not to fear I would love to educate further! We do test for combined chlorine, but there aren't any testable combined chlorine (chloramines) in your water that I am aware of!

It is possible that since the last maintenance stop, and with the addition of swimming taking place, that swimmer wastes such as blood/sweat/tears/ammonia/urea/peptides/skin cells have made their way into the pool and added into that combination bank. Chloramines do have sanitational properties to them, and they are used for the sanitation of most municipal water sources for residential/commercial plumbing systems country-wide. What I have tried to do in the past for your pool/spa is to ride a higher free chlorine/oxidized level closer to a 4-5ppm through your automation, but everytime that I have made those changes, I return and numbers have been rearranged, targets/set points have been adjusted, etc... I am still using the oxy-brite in the pool as I have discussed with you in the past, the overall benefits and why we insist on the use of that product, especially in lower sanitizer-level bodies of water. I will refrain from using any ancillary products such as stain/scale inhibitors, enzymes for the swimmer-released organic materials, and clarifier for the micro particles being released into your pool from underneath the coping between your pool deck and autocover tracking.

Stabilizer will continue to be maintained as it needs to be when we are there, and aside from all of this I will be happy to reset the target levels on the intellichem for both bodies a final time to ride that elevated chlorine level that you're describing, but I do expect the setpoints to stay where I set them going forward! With elevated chlorine levels and the introduction of oxy-brite to burn off any excess/added organics, and then the filtration system working optimally, the pool simply will not allow for the buildup of organic materials/pathogens/viruses/etc. The only time there would ever be potential for these things to grow is if the chlorine levels drop below 0 ppm and the pool water fails to be shocked/oxidized/treated properly! I hope this sort of helps shed some light on that portion of the pool industry for you, and I am absolutely happy as usual to hear any other suggestions you may have for the pool/spa! I will also reach back out to you the next time I'm there for maintenance and report all of the readings via text message

Attachments

• Pool invoice.png
    Pool invoice.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Pool report page 2.png
    Pool report page 2.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Pool report page 1.png
    Pool report page 1.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 30
You can’t expect a pool service company to follow TFP standards but it’s good that he’s asking about how the ORP system keeps getting turned down. If he’s not using a TF-100 then he’s not going to get the same test results as you do.

You're in a tough spot being too far away to service the pool yourself.

Oxybrite is MPS, a non-chlorine oxidizer. It will register as CC when tested with the DPD/FAS (drop-based) FC/CC test.:

As you have, I would ask him to discontinue use of the magic potions.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta ! Makes sense that I was seeing the oxybrite as CC!
Any suggestions on bringing my TA levels lower? From the ABCs it recommends aeration + pH at 7.2.. I haven't been able to aerate it enough.
Pool is almost always with auto-cover on (except when we're there over weekends).

Thank you @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta ! Makes sense that I was seeing the oxybrite as CC!
Any suggestions on bringing my TA levels lower? From the ABCs it recommends aeration + pH at 7.2.. I haven't been able to aerate it enough.
Pool is almost always with auto-cover on (except when we're there over weekends).
Lowering TA is accomplished by adding acid only. But the side effect is it also lowers pH and you don’t want the pH to go below 7.2 so you can aerate the water to raise the pH without raising the TA.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Most of those things are unnecessary
IMG_6312.jpeg
IMG_6313.jpeg
He is correct about 1 thing- Your fc is being kept too low for your cya which is likely allowing things to grow thus your cloudy water.
FC/CYA Levels
IMG_6314.jpeg
Is it safe to assume that on the weeks they aren’t servicing the pool that you are?
the intellichem also has its issues with chlorine due to orp.
You might consider a swg (ic40) for chlorination & just use the intellichem for ph/acid if it proves to be too wonky.
As mentioned above the soda ash also increased your TA.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
New numbers FC is at 6 ppm, pH at 7.4, CYA at 40 and clear water! TA is still high at 150.

Any suggestions for some sort of pump aerator I can just insert and take out? The kids just splashing in there doesn't seem to move the needle on TA.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
New numbers FC is at 6 ppm, pH at 7.4, CYA at 40 and clear water! TA is still high at 150.

Any suggestions for some sort of pump aerator I can just insert and take out? The kids just splashing in there doesn't seem to move the needle on TA.
Aeration doesn’t lower ta. It raises ph without increasing ta so you can then lower them both with acid.
They sell fountains that screw into your returns for about $20 on amazon, you can make one out pvc or you can just point your jets up so they disturb the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.