mumgoa

Jul 13, 2015
Novi/MI
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are still more than 2 months from opening

We have had a lot of snow/ice in Michigan this winter and I noticed my tarp tearing on the side just covering the skimmer opening and maybe 2 feet either side of it

As soon as the ice melts, I will drain the cover. For now, I just put some blue tarp over the tear.

Anything else I should do now? The pool is winterized. Any possibility of damage to skimmer or plumbing?

Thanks

Also, this tarp lasted 4 years (pool guys charged $250

Any recommendations for a sturdy reasonably priced winter tarp.

A lot of them available online at varying price points but looking for a good one that lasts 4 to 5 years around $200 or so

Leave the pool alone until the thaw.

You get what you pay for with a pool cover. That tarp lasted 4 years for $250. Another one for around $200 will last about the same.

Thanks ajw. I guess there is no choice until the thaw at which point the pump will be used to reduce the weight on the cover

I was concerned if any water/ice/snow entry over the period when the tear occurred (unknown and until I open), if there is a risk of skimmer and plumbing issues

Can anyone say based on pics what kind of cover this is - mesh,solid, tarp,etc?

I bought a 20x40 tarp this year and the cheapest one Amazon had was $50. For $200-$250 I would start new with a cheapo every year and if it was a mild winter maybe get 2 out of it.

I decided kinda last minute that I wanted to cover my AB at the house we bought. I’m sure if I kept an eye on HF and Amazon I could have gotten a better sale price at some point. Or if I knew the inground was staying forever, gotten a 10
Pack of cheapos from Uline or another commercial supplier

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah AMZ is the absolute cheapest. I am leaning towards one that lasts for 4 ish years and not worry about tears. This winter has been on the rougher side since the new year. What is the best optuon around $200 and should it be mesh or solid. Not sure what I have now

Your skimmer should be winterized with a Gizzmo in it, a half empty plastic bottle, or some pool noodles. If properly winterized then water getting into the skimmer and freezing should not damage it.

Your pipes should be blown out, plugged, and air locked. If done properly the cover does not do much except keep your water clean.

Yeah. Funny end to my tarp story. The new yard doesn’t have much for trees. Once the small amount of leaves stopped blowing from 3 houses over, I had no debris whatsoever. I sent it back and went uncovered like i originally planned. Before it froze I had about 6 leaves in there from several months. No need at all.

Last Sunday it reached 60 here in Toledo, this weekend 50-60 and 70s in the 10 day. I got the spring bug.

I pulled back my looploc cover on both skimmers and checked things out, we had a full 15 days of really cold weather - everything looked good. I am looking forward to a good season of pool use and hopefully Menards is back to its B1G1 pool shock, that stuff works well.

Oh and the looploc is a bigger investment and you'd need to put in anchors (which some don't like), but I am going on my 6 season and no issues at all.

1e657001491c214c2f6642aa0c00702a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.