Pool/Spa combo - need to shock spa?

patronas22

Jan 17, 2022
Tampa FL
I've researched but can't find the answer to this:

I have a 10k gal pool with a connected spa (negative edge spillover). Single variable speed pump, so either the pool is running or the spa.

I've been balancing the pool water and shocking as needed as well. Sometimes when I first turn on the spa, I get a strong chlorine smell, which leads me to believe the free chlorine could be low (high chloramines), perhaps due to water sitting in the pipes that doesn't receive shock treatment when pool pump is running.

So, do I also need to run the spa and add shock? Was a bit concerned it may not be safe for the finish etc.

I've researched but can't find the answer to this:
Because we don't let the water go and then need to overcorrect it it with shock. A few ounces of chlorone prevention beats a few pounds of shock cure.

The spa needs to be run a couple times a day just long enough to exchange the water.

You pool needs to be dosed to the FC/CYA Levels per PoolMath, daily. You will need a reliable test kit to do this. See Test Kits Compared.

We would love to guide you if you'd like to learn.

Because we don't let the water go and then need to overcorrect it it with shock. A few ounces of chlorone prevention beats a few pounds of shock cure.

The spa needs to be run a couple times a day just long enough to exchange the water.

You pool needs to be dosed to the FC/CYA Levels per PoolMath, daily. You will need a reliable test kit to do this. See Test Kits Compared.

We would love to guide you if you'd like to learn.
Thanks. Forgot to mention that I do have a salt chlorinator and the spa has a return that pushes water over the spillover into the pool as the pool pump runs 8 hours a day. So the spa is getting chlorinated. Would that do the trick?

so either the pool is running or the spa.

P,

Most spas that are part of an integrated pool, never get fresh water when in the spa mode. They get fresh chlorinated water from having the spa spillover into the pool.

Does your spa spillover into your pool? Does it do it continuously when in the pool mode, or some other way?

If you follow the TFP pool care process, there is just never a reason to "shock" your pool or your spa.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

EDIT.. I just saw your last post, so you have answered my questions.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

If you have to "shock" a saltwater pool, you are just not maintaining your pool like we recommend.

Please take a long read through our pool school and see what we are all about.

Tell us how you test and what your normal readings are for the following:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.