Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We installed a new pump and filter. This required re-plumbing as well. The pump is no longer putting out enough pressure to move water up the slide line. Previously, my Hayward one and a half horsepower pump put out plenty of pressure for the slide.

Photos attached. The green line is the slide line.
99ED8BE1-C640-43A3-94BC-2C6B0516E710.jpeg

I will also attach the old plumbing set up with the old pump.

E06F1DD3-6AC0-4563-9DE7-1BE94390626D.jpeg

The hose is not blocked or, I presume, leaking. I tested this by connecting a garden hose to the slide line (at the pump) and that put out plenty of pressure on the slide. I also tested by increasing the pump speed and partially closing the returns. However, I had to crank it up to about 3300 and fully close at least one jet, which triggered a pressure warning on the pump. This did improve the pressure to the slide, but not significantly.

Could this be re-plumbed to allow for more pressure to go to the slide? Or are there any other creative ideas out there? Do I need to Jerry rig something else?

Thanks!

Attachments

• EB89F190-F9E2-40E7-BBC1-0BDF19FE2209.jpeg
    EB89F190-F9E2-40E7-BBC1-0BDF19FE2209.jpeg
    777.3 KB · Views: 23
Cap,

I assume your old pump was a single speed pump.

Did you expect the buy a VS pump and run it at a low RPM, and still move the same amount of water as your old single speed pump?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can you post a full picture of the equipment layout and pad? I'm assuming you know that the valve is off in the first picture above?
Yes, thanks. Yup, it was off in the photo. Do these photos work?

Attachments

• A2C7D79F-DECC-411E-AABC-5D07A8749C35.jpeg
    A2C7D79F-DECC-411E-AABC-5D07A8749C35.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 9
  • E33DE68F-B75F-44A6-A0F2-B243F73E9111.jpeg
    E33DE68F-B75F-44A6-A0F2-B243F73E9111.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 9
Cap,

I assume your old pump was a single speed pump.

Did you expect the buy a VS pump and run it at a low RPM, and still move the same amount of water as your old single speed pump?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, yes it was single.

No I didn’t expect that. As you can see from my OP, I at least expected when I ran the VS pump full speed it would at least push enough water to make it up the slide hose vertical climb. Why do you ask?

Any suggestions?

Psi from your tap is probably 40-60 psi so that doesn’t really prove anything. Why not just attach garden hose to pool plumbing and run it above ground to the slide to test. You can increase the tubing size on the slide, or add a booster pump.

Reactions: Newdude
Psi from your tap is probably 40-60 psi so that doesn’t really prove anything. Why not just attach garden hose to pool plumbing and run it above ground to the slide to test. You can increase the tubing size on the slide, or add a booster pump.
Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines. How much is a booster pump? Is there anything cheap or energy friendly I could run?

Hey Caprica !!! I've been stewing some thoughts here since you posted and upgrading the pump would have only gotten you more flow/pressure IMO.

It certainly didn't clog the run to the slide.

So the only thing left in my eyes is the ball valve broke as they do, and is only opening a little when you turn the handle.

You're pretty far north. Did you just open? Did it work this year or not since last ? How far does the green hose go before it turns into the poly pipe that comes out at the slide ?

Take the green hose off at the valve and let er rip. If Niagara Falls gushes out, it's the hose/pipe. If it doesn't have much flow, it's the valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.