Pool Resurfacing Questions

sun

Aug 13, 2020
Torrance, CA
Need advises on pool resurfacing. We were advised to resurface our 15 years old community pool located. We have hard water here, but the pool is regularly serviced. The pool surface looks fine to me, but others disagreed (Attached photos). I have 5 Questions:

1. Does the pool need re-surfacing based on the photos?

2. Is coping required? Should we do it together if we are resurfacing the pool?

3. What material would you recommend if we choose to resurface the pool? Plaster, White Quartz or Pebble? Does the higher cost Pebble and Quartz translate to better durability?
Spent a lot of time reading online about resurfacing and got large life span variations on materials: from 7 years to 15 years on Plaster. 10 to 15 years for Quartz and Pebble. Pebble obviously is the most expensive option.

4. Does 3M no longer in this Quartz business concern us?
Read about discontinued quartz supply in this link: Quartz with plaster--worth it for longevity?

5. Any recommendation of firms to resurface pools in Los Angeles and Torrance area?

Thank you so much.
Sun

Attachments

• IMG_6991.JPG
    IMG_6991.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6992.JPG
    IMG_6992.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6993.JPG
    IMG_6993.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6994.JPG
    IMG_6994.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6995.JPG
    IMG_6995.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6996.JPG
    IMG_6996.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6998.JPG
    IMG_6998.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6999.JPG
    IMG_6999.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7001.JPG
    IMG_7001.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7002.JPG
    IMG_7002.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 44
It's always difficult to see the real details from pictures but have you considered acid washing the plaster and power washing the decking/coping (would cost 1-2 thousand vs 10-12 thousand to redo the plaster, tile and coping).

Thank you very much for the comment. Indeed difficult to tell with photos only. Any info I can share to answer my above questions would be greatly appreciated.

The water is clear and color look fine. Health department certificate was just renewed without problem a few months ago.

My neighbor got a few quotes to resurface the pool after being advised that the pool should be resurfaced. The quotes are between $19K to 21K. One of the quotes has an additional line item for coping: $7800.

I think it depends on what the black spots on the bottom are. Is it just dirt or algae? Or is the plaster worn away down to the gunite? If the plaster's worn through, you'll need to resurface.

The tile looks old and worn and might as well be replaced with the plaster if you do that. The coping is dirty, but looks sound to me. Even your mastic looks good. If the community is large, so everyone's share is small, you can spread the cost around and do as much work as people want to pay for.

It's very hard to tell from those photos due to surface reflections. Take a look at the web page below on what to look for.

I forgot to say that with our hard water in California heard a pool surface with quartz is hard to clean. Plaster doesn't last long and suggestions were company called ps2000 using fiberglass or pebble tech. But heard pebble tech can be expensive. Thoughts on resurface with fiberglass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.