Pool pump suggestions please

May 29, 2017
Houston
We recently installed solar panels to help our electrical bills and take advantage of the SE Texas sun. We’ve noticed on our consumption readings that our daytime energy consumption is very high (especially considering no one is home), and came to realise that it’s the pool.

Specifically our old, 1-speed pool pump, installed by the previous owner (1.5hp, SF1.00, rpm 3450, Centurion).

We also have a Polaris booster pump, and a separate 2.0hp (older) pump for our spa (not often used, and it works, so we’re keeping it). The Jandy Aqua link has to go too.

Thanks to TFP, I’ve read that a 2-speed or variable would be a great energy/cost saving and also help to preserve our filter.

So....

Thoughts please on:
1. Pool pump. Size, brand, efficiency
2. Smart controller.

Would you just bite the bullet and do the spa pump at the same time?

We’ll be hiring someone to do the work as we’re just too busy to take it on.

Emma,

In my mind you should go with a large VS pump and an automation system to control it... I say this because you can control the speed of the pump based upon the specific situation. For circulation and generating chlorine, you can run it very slowly.. When you want to use the slide, waterfall, or run your cleaner, you can have it programmed to increase the speed so that they all work the way you want.

You could, most likely, use the same pump for the spa that you use for the pool.. Of course that would need some plumbing modifications..

An automation system would allow you to switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode with the push of a button. In fact you can also buy options that allow you to control your pool from your PC, tablet or phone..

It really all depends on how much you want to spend... :p

In general, it is always best to have the same brand of equipment for the automation system, any VS pumps, and any salt systems.

I am unsure what you want to keep and or get rid of...

Why would you get rid of the Jandy Aqualink? Just so that we are both on the same page, I am assuming your Aqualink is an Automation system.. Is this not correct? Is it not working?

If you can post a couple of pictures of your equipment pad, I'm sure you will get better answers from some of our members...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

And just for reference.. I can run my 3 HP IntelliFlo pump 24/7, at 1200 rpm, for less than $20 a month...

Thanks Jim.

We have a Jandy Aqualink RS6 (for automation). Which I’ve been told will not handle the 2-speed or variable speed pumps. We would like something a little more user-friendly and up to date.

The spa pump is old, but it works and we’re not ready to fork out the money for something that is so rarely used. I’ll post pics shortly.

6b3e07e32b3afb40295fedf7eab89f08.jpg

037f16bb5dc641b6d2c76d7171ac9812.jpg
63c62f09c0de71f75441c4831127140d.jpg

Emma,

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy.... and almost always recommend the Pentair systems...

If you plan to replace the Aqualink, I would install a Pentair EasyTouch-8, IC60 Salt cell, and 3 HP VS IntelliFlo pump... Here is a link to the EasyTouch, salt cell, and valve actuators...

Pentair Easy Touch Control System 521150. EasyTouch 8SC-IC60 Control System. Pentair 521150.

Here is a link to the pump... Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

The links are just to show the products not to say they are the best deals, although I like Sunplay...

That said, I suspect that you can upgrade the RS 6 you have to one of the newer Jandy systems for a lot less money...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.