Pool plans in hand - finally

Slaru

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hello all:

We've been planning and interviewing builders in the Atlanta, GA metro since early spring. We've decided on our PB and have the 3D rendering in hand. We just want to make sure we're doing this right. The price is higher than we first thought. We're told it's because there is a 24-ft stretch of raised beam which will have some hand cut dry stack stonework. It's going to be 18-in high. It also seems the decking is quite an expense. I don't want to skimp on necessary features, but where can I shave some cost and still have a great pool?

Here's what we've gotten so far:

20 x 30' free form with 101 linear ft.
3.5 to 7' depth (break-line at 4.5 ft)
12 x 6' tanning ledge with 2 bubblers (no umbrella slot, but plan to have weighted table with slot)
7' circular spa with 8 jets, 1.5 HP air blower for water agitation
Plumbing is 2-inch schedule 40 PVC with 2 skimmers and 4 return lines
Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump
Hayward Universal H-series Natural gas heater 400,000 BTU
Hayward 525 Swim Clear cartridge filter
Goldline salt purification system
Goldline Omni-logic control system with remote access
Prather never lube valves
Shotcrete shell
Double main drains in deep end
4 paramount underwater color LED pool lights
14-inch premium cut natural stone coping
6-inch waterline tile, frost proof
988 sf paver decking
Polaris pool cleaner
Stonescapes Pebble plaster

3.JPG

Not a ton jumps out, but I see:
- Remove the polaris and buy your own Robot. That should save you $500+
- You could have to spa not be raised, that may save a few thousand
- If there is a way to not do multi-level decking, that should save you some $ as well

Not a ton jumps out, but I see:
- Remove the polaris and buy your own Robot. That should save you $500+
- You could have to spa not be raised, that may save a few thousand
- If there is a way to not do multi-level decking, that should save you some $ as well

Because of the slope of our yard (high point toward the rear and sloping to the right where the lower level is)it really follows the slope of our yard. Otherwise, we'd have to have a retention wall if we lowered the pool or we'd have an abrupt drop-off to the right of pool. We tried several configurations, but this seemed to work best. I agree, the steps and the wall are costing us!

I agree with @JJ_Tex on lowering the spa and the multi-level decking. The current design looks great as is but those items add to the cost. You do need to think about climbing in and out of the spa vs. stepping down into it. Those older folks (parents, grandparents) may have issues with the raised spa. If you go with the multi-level decking you may want to consider lights on the steps so no one trips at night.
Do you need 7ft depth? My deepest is 5 1/2ft and quite enjoyable. Not sure how much that saves you.
The equipment list does not show a booster pump for the Polaris cleaner. Therefore not sure what you are getting but agree a robot cleaner (electric) may be a less expensive set up. Just ensure you have a GFCI socket nearby to operate it.
I would be careful on what type of plants you put in the gardens adjacent to both sides of the spa. I had a similar set up with a previous pool and had constant droppings of flowers, dirt, mulch, etc due to birds, squirrels, and heaven knows what rummaging through it. You could consider a small waterfall in its place if you can save money elsewhere. Just a thought.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Slaru
We made a few changes over the past month and are finally under contract! Now the wait with permitting and the HOA. They think we should be able to start the dig in late October or early November. In Georgia, the weather should still be ”ok.”

So, we got ride of the suction cleaner and are going with a Hayward robot. I’m not sure which model. The pool will be 20’ x 38’ and depths will be from 3.5’ to 7’. They also cut down the decking with the pavers from about 980sf to 750sf. But I really think they just did this to make the numbers look more appetizing. We don’t want to skimp on decking. We got a total of 4 complete designs and quotes and feel like we’re building the pool we’ll love.

Now we tackle the “everything else” that goes along with this backyard paradise. We have to arrange the fence and landscaping. What do you feel is the best type of locking gate for the backyard? And did you tend to handle the landscaping yourself or call in the pros? We want things to look cohesive. And of course landscape lighting. I’ve seen a few people wiring for lights and speakers prior to the decking going in. How did you coordinate the design and the actual work with the different trades?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.