Pool opened, they added bags of salt to my non-salt pool?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

the pool guys came to open my pool yesterday and my life noticed they dumped bags of things in which he assumed was shocked. Today I've been running the pool robot and it keeps getting filled with what looks like salt crystals.

is there any danger aside from the pain in the neck of salt being everywhere at the bottom of the pool?

The pool robot seems to get filled up every 20 minutes I have to empty the bag. Are there any health risks or risks to my newly renovated pool?

I had the whole pool gunite stripped and redone I did last season.

Thanks

Are you sure it is salt? Pool salt dissolves quickly.

Could it be stabilizer? Stabilizer does not dissolve quickly.

Salt will not damage your plaster. Salt over 4000 ppm can cause corrosion around the pool. You want to Get a salt test and know how much is in your water. It effects your CSI calculation in PoolMath

Reactions: IceShadow
Any pics of this "salt" your robot is picking up?

So what would have they been pouring in the pool that would have resulted in calcium sulfate forming?

So I have a video the opening and I see that they open the box that had a number of small packets that they dispersed in the pool and then a second box with two large bags of what I would guess was de.

According to the video they only put one bag I'll be larger de and a full box of the smaller bags with might have been 8 or more packets?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Packets may have been calcium hypochlorite.

Do you have any test data? Your signature shows a test kit -- can you post your data?

@JoyfulNoise
Matt -- can an addition of cal hypo result in calcium sulfate crystals on the bottom of the pool? What conditions are needed for that to happen?

@JoyfulNoise
Matt -- can an addition of cal hypo result in calcium sulfate crystals on the bottom of the pool? What conditions are needed for that to happen?

Very high sulfate and very high CH.

OP - can you just contact the pool builder or startup company and ask them what they added to your pool?

So I did use the test kit and my results are:

Ch 125
Fc 6
Ta 75
Ph has to be 9+

I have plenty of muriatic acid ready to go but I don't know if I should be waiting until I hear back from the pool company or if I should just start getting the chemistry better

Attachments

• 20200512_210746.jpg
    20200512_210746.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200512_210606.jpg
    20200512_210606.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 29
So this is about 10 minutes of the Polaris pool robot running.

It is pretty close to the point where it's not able to run in a straight direction because of the weight in the bag

Attachments

• 20200512_214107.jpg
    20200512_214107.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 57
This is why you need to take control of your pool. We're glad you're here now.

Reactions: Shirker

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.