Pool liner - colors?

What’s your thoughts on dark color liner getting the water warmer?
Hmmm, I'm really not sure. This is only our second season with our current pool, and we're in Minnesota. Unless we have a few days in a row in the upper 80s-90s, we need our heater. We have the same liner used in this build (scroll down a bit), Blue Bayou by Doughboy, and these pics are spot on for how our color reads in the sun. It's a bright dark blue, but with the pattern, I don't think it's quite as dark as the fiberglass. Previously we had a couple smaller Intex pools with very light liners. They warmed up more and faster, but they had significantly less water. It may be more about the amount of water you're trying to warm up and the temps/season where you are, than it is about the liner color. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Hmmm, I'm really not sure. This is only our second season with our current pool, and we're in Minnesota. Unless we have a few days in a row in the upper 80s-90s, we need our heater. We have the same liner used in this build (scroll down a bit), Blue Bayou by Doughboy, and these pics are spot on for how our color reads in the sun. It's a bright dark blue, but with the pattern, I don't think it's quite as dark as the fiberglass. Previously we had a couple smaller Intex pools with very light liners. They warmed up more and faster, but they had significantly less water. It may be more about the amount of water you're trying to warm up and the temps/season where you are, than it is about the liner color. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.
Show me your pool. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a photographer who made a living photographing high end architecture I can tell you that the lighting is making those 2 pools look darker blue. We used to use tungsten film but now play with white balance. The trick was to turn on all the incandescent interior lights and let the sky go Indigo.
In Post #6 notice how cold blue the sky is, and how warm the interior is. The background houses are coloured bluish and the concrete is blue magenta.
In Post #1 a similar thing is happening. The pool lights are daylight or colder [perhaps 6500K] and the
landscape lights are soft white [perhaps 3000K].
Just a guess but the photographers are trying to make pretty pictures, not colour accurate pictures.

Something to think about is how well a darker blue will weather in the cruel world of UV and Infrared.
Think fading.
Another question.
Were your smaller Intex pools above ground? They can warm up faster with exposed sides.

As a photographer who made a living photographing high end architecture I can tell you that the lighting is making those 2 pools look darker blue. We used to use tungsten film but now play with white balance. The trick was to turn on all the incandescent interior lights and let the sky go Indigo.
In Post #6 notice how cold blue the sky is, and how warm the interior is. The background houses are coloured bluish and the concrete is blue magenta.
In Post #1 a similar thing is happening. The pool lights are daylight or colder [perhaps 6500K] and the
landscape lights are soft white [perhaps 3000K].
Just a guess but the photographers are trying to make pretty pictures, not colour accurate pictures.

Something to think about is how well a darker blue will weather in the cruel world of UV and Infrared.
Think fading.
Another question.
Were your smaller Intex pools above ground? They can warm up faster with exposed sides.
So your saying dark blue will fade faster?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.