Pool lights

nicsno

May 7, 2020
Houston
Since I first moved here the pools lights never worked (3 of them). heck even trying to find a switch or a box for them turned up nada. So I'm guessing they are dead but I have zero clue on how to remove these. There is no screw or anything.

Attachments

• 20221008_150404.jpg
    20221008_150404.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221008_150416.jpg
    20221008_150416.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 27
Is there no junction box for these lights?

full

Since I first moved here the pools lights never worked (3 of them). heck even trying to find a switch or a box for them turned up nada. So I'm guessing they are dead but I have zero clue on how to remove these. There is no screw or anything.
Those look very much like dead/damaged fiber optic light lenses. There would have been a large tower somewhere that had bundles of fibers running to it. Would look something like this:
1665270610521.png

Nic,

Looking at your pic that has the three electrical panels, the tan panel on the left appears to be the one for your pool.

Open the panel and see if any of the breakers are GFCI breakers. If so, that one is most likely for your light. See where the wires from the breaker go.

Just below the tan panels is an outlet or switch box with a blank cover. My 'guess' is that there used to be a switch there that turned on your lights. That may not at all be true, but it is the only thing on that entire wall that could possibly have anything to do with your pool lights.

Is the little outlet box, and the tan breaker box connected. I can't tell if there is a conduit between the tan breaker box and the outlet box right below it.

What are the two blue and white conduits or hoses at the very bottom of the pic?

If @1poolman1 is correct, then you should some kind of fiberoptic generator, which I do not see, so maybe it was removed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry for the late reply. These are all that I have around.
That large green tube in the corner, at least in my area, looks like the boxes cable companies use to connect to various properties. Being the curious type, I would open it. The fact that there are three of those in your pool strongly indicates they are fiber optic lens locations. If there was a fiber optics tower and it is gone, look for some 1" black poly tubing sticking up somewhere near the pool. That's what the actual fibers were usually run through like conduit to the pool. As the fiber bundles were very expensive, and the longer the fiber cable the more light was lost, they were usually within 20 feet of the pool, sometimes closer.

The small tan box appears to have a door on it that opens to the left. Is it a switch or GFCI?

Okay so I just got in from work and looked around. Still not noticing anything like yall have mentioned. I attached another photo.
Best guess, without being there, is that one of the conduits coming from the bottom of that GFCI fed a light tower or junction box. Its a shame that no one ever labeled the breakers in those panels.

Nic,

The GFCI outlet that your show just below the Home-line box has an input and output conduit.

It could have nothing to do with your pool lights, but it has to come from somewhere and it has to go to someplace.

I find it odd that they added an outlet there but are not powering it from the breaker box right above it. I see nothing in the Home-line box that would indicate anything to do with a pool light. In the old days, a lot of pool lights were powered from a light switch at the back door or porch of the house.

I like 1poolman1 idea to look inside the green tower. Most likely cable TV stuff, but you won't know unless you look.

You did not tell us what the blue and white tubing is near the ground under the breaker boxes.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so this morning I took a pic of what you were talking about. In that green cylinder was telecom stuff. So I have no way to change these lights?

Attachments

• 20221012_075140.jpg
    20221012_075140.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221012_075258.jpg
    20221012_075258.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221012_075303.jpg
    20221012_075303.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 11
Okay so this morning I took a pic of what you were talking about. In that green cylinder was telecom stuff. So I have no way to change these lights?
SR Smith makes conversion kits (not inexpensive) for old fiber optic lighting. You would have to drain the pool to below the level of those lenses, remove them, and find where any conduit may be so as to install the LED lights. Don't remove them now, you will create leaks in the pool unless the other end of the conduit has been sealed, not very likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: guinness
Okay I was finally able to take a better photo of the light. Did another full search of my yard as well and nothing that looks like the fiber box or anything. Are these for sure fiber lights?

Attachments

• 20221015_141854.jpg
    20221015_141854.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221015_141858.jpg
    20221015_141858.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 9
I have never seen fiber optic lights...

Let's see what @1poolman1 thinks,

Jim R.
Lenses definitely for old fiber optic lighting. You can actually see the small fiber bundle in the center of the lens. If the tower was present, you couldn't miss it, some were 2' tall. Usually located a little over 5' from the pool to save the cost of the expensive fiber bundles. Those lenses are in many pools where the rest of the light system has been removed, the fiber cables left in the ground and buried. Repair parts for the towers became very difficult to get, and some bulb assemblies were upward of of $200.00 five years ago. They are now completely obsolete. Someone may have parts, but it appears the entire tower (light source) is gone in this case.

It looks like someone has been trying to remove the one in the picture. The retaining ring holds the lens and gasket that seals the opening. The socket is a 1.5" pipe threaded fitting. Remove or damage the lens or gasket and you have a large leak in the pool. Depending on the depth behind the wall, there are a few LED replacements available, but will require some digging to find the other end of those pipes.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.