Pool light turns on in service mode only

jjhku

Jul 23, 2020
Fort Worth, TX
My pool light has not been working for months since March. It worked fine before and I was able to control the light inside of house using inside panel (Aqualink RS 4) in March. I suspected burned light bulb and found that old bulb was rattling when I opend up the light fixture (Pentair 120v 500w 784 series). So, I replaced the light bulb and then turned the light. Nothing happended, inside panel show green status light on pool light but light in the pool didn’t turn on. When I opened up outside panel, the pool light status light didn’t on even if inside panel status light is on. When I change the pool to service mode in outside panel, I can turn on pool light in outside panel. It’s so weird that I can only turn the pool light on service mode. Am I missing anything or is it natural to turn on pool light only on service mode?

That is not normal and your Aqualink should control if it is wired correctly and programmed correctly. I see you have the RS4. What other equipment are you controlling? Do they all work properly from the inside panel? Do you have any unused bottons that can be programed? Have you tried to reprogram the light to a different button? You may want to delete a program and then add it back to a different button to determine if it is an isolated button issue. You can download the manual on google if needed. Just some points to get you started.

HermanTX, thanks for your reply. My RS4 controls pool pump, spa, cleaner, airblower in spa, spa light. In addition to those pool heater, spa heater, and pool light is connected in heater. When I replaced the light, I turn off the circuit breaker and system reset due to power outgage on inside panel (for some reason my 9v battery connected on outside panel does not provide back up power). Do you think my button setting erased when it was out of power?

Attachments

• 1058A0FF-20A5-4B4F-9460-C43C52161E06.jpeg
    1058A0FF-20A5-4B4F-9460-C43C52161E06.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 6
I would try to reprogram. Maybe put your Pool Light to the button noted as Spa Light just to see if it works. Are the other buttons functioning? Does the filter pump and spa light turn on now as you have it set up? If all are not working then most likely need to reprogram. If only 1 is not working, then reprogram it to another button just to ensure that circuit to the pool light is working.

HermanTX,
Honestly, I am not sure how to reprogram button. Do I have to switch line for spa light and pool light on on outside panel? I opened up my outside panel and not sure how to switch spa light button to pool light button

Attachments

• 90B54DF4-EA08-4213-B788-2A3F66E8E725.jpeg
    90B54DF4-EA08-4213-B788-2A3F66E8E725.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 3
  • 40AA6AC5-AEFE-4240-8D53-09D19D73F01A.jpeg
    40AA6AC5-AEFE-4240-8D53-09D19D73F01A.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 3
I tried to find the proper manual online but keep getting mis-directed to some ad sites. The video found may only be for programing once your buttons are already established. If you have your owner's manual, try to determine if you can move your spa light to the existing pool light button. Since your pool light is working (when you put it in service mode on outdoor panel) then the wiring of the physical light is correct to the outside panel. The issue is how the inside RS unit is reading the light. That is why I wonder if it is just a bad button or is not set up correctly to your inside wall unit. Maybe someone in your family can assist with reading the manual. Are the other functions working such as pump, cleaner, heater using the inside RS control panel? I would only work on the inside control panel as the outside panel seems to be working.

I googled program Aqualink RS-4. See the link (it is for a RS-6) but the programing is the same. Where you have the pool light button try to reprogam it for Spa Light and see if it works. Aqualink RS 4 - Bing video
HermanTX,

I watched the video but it’s about program schedule cancel not to cancel button assignment on inside control unit. Any ideas about swapping spa light button with pool light button? My guess of pool light fail to turn on the light in auto mode is that there might be a short or disconnect between inside unit and outside panels. I guess that’s why pool light button only turn on in service mode where I can turn on the pool light from outside panel.

Please help!!!

I tried to find the proper manual online but keep getting mis-directed to some ad sites. The video found may only be for programing once your buttons are already established. If you have your owner's manual, try to determine if you can move your spa light to the existing pool light button. Since your pool light is working (when you put it in service mode on outdoor panel) then the wiring of the physical light is correct to the outside panel. The issue is how the inside RS unit is reading the light. That is why I wonder if it is just a bad button or is not set up correctly to your inside wall unit. Maybe someone in your family can assist with reading the manual. Are the other functions working such as pump, cleaner, heater using the inside RS control panel? I would only work on the inside control panel as the outside panel seems to be working.
HermanTX,

Yes, all other buttons working properly. Only button that is not working now is the pool light button that is placed next to heater control button. When I press the pool light button, it says “heat pump enabled” on control panel with green light but pool light is now working and outside panel doesn’t lit on the pool light. Another thing I noticed weird is that solar pump is connected with something I don’t know. I suspect this as pool light. I don’t have any solar equipment in my pool but this is connected in my outside panel.
I don’t have manual because the pool built in (2013) before I move to my house two years ago (2018). But I found the manual online (Jandy | AquaLink RS All Button). However, unfortunately, there seems to be no instructions available to reassign control button in the manual.

Please help!!!

Attachments

• 9336AF63-47CC-4F04-A6A5-ADE8C4B83D58.jpeg
    9336AF63-47CC-4F04-A6A5-ADE8C4B83D58.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 28B46E63-9F75-4BF1-993E-FBA333A2378A.jpeg
    28B46E63-9F75-4BF1-993E-FBA333A2378A.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks. It is confusing that they (installer) assigned the pool light to the heat pump button. I think they did this because the RS4 is limited to what it can control and there are more items than buttons i.e. pump, cleaner, blower, spa light, pool light. As you stated initially, it was working in March via the inside panel and all you have done is change the light because it stopped working. After changing the pool light, it does work using the outside panel but not the inside panel. is this all correct? Maybe I can solicit some help from @mknauss or he may know someone else with expertise in Aqualink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have some hacked relay problem. As noted the builder hacked another circuit for the pool light because the system ran out of relays.

A relay is plugged into the solar relay socket that is controlling the light power. The buttons on both panels have POOL LIGHT stickers over the SOLAR label normally on that button.

You need to trace the pool light wiring back and figure out how it is wired through the Aqualink panel. The manual is not going to help with the hack.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks. It is confusing that they (installer) assigned the pool light to the heat pump button. I think they did this because the RS4 is limited to what it can control and there are more items than buttons i.e. pump, cleaner, blower, spa light, pool light. As you stated initially, it was working in March via the inside panel and all you have done is change the light because it stopped working. After changing the pool light, it does work using the outside panel but not the inside panel. is this all correct? Maybe I can solicit some help from @mknauss or he may know someone else with expertise in Aqualink.
Herman,
That is correct, the pool light was able to be controlled via inside panel and all other equipments are still controllable via inside panel but pool light.

I think the pool light/solar button on your indoor control panel has failed.

You can rewire your pool light to connect to the same relay as your spa light so they are controlled by the same button. I suspect the hack for the pool light was done when the original owner wanted to control the lights separately. .

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.