Pool Leak - please help

Honestly, I would be more comfortable with Poolguy seeing your latest update as he in in the industry and is "hands-on" all the time on this stuff. Like you, I wonder "if" the tech's attempt to fix the conduit event worked or was done properly. I do believe that to a given extent, a lot of this type of repair is doable as a DIY - not just to save a few bucks, but just like about anything else you like to know it was done right. Unless there just happens to be another tear in the liner in that area at the same height, something is compromised in/around the niche area. Let's give Poolguy a chance to get his java, shake the cobwebs, and catch-up with what we've discussed this morning and see what else might be missing.

My gut tells me that air is coming from behind the niche/putty. Not confident the previous putty job was the best effort, but we'll see what Poolguy has to say when he sees this. He has more experience in this area. Thanks for the pics. They came out nice.

OK - with the thought everything else has been qualified & holding h20. (Never get brainwashed when hunting leaks)

(& for fun how about a picture of entire pool please?)

That’s a very sloppy placement of repair material..

I presume the images are showing reflections??
& the line is the water surface not a crack??

I see two tones ( & 2 tons) of epoxy.. & looks like the second application also crossed the bond wire in niche...

1. Assuming the first (who knows how many years ago) epoxy failed the new wad won’t seal it..

You can see spots without adhesion to the cord. The gap is plain as day..

You can take a crack at adding a 3rd “booger, just buying time leak will be back.

Best chip out & replace or use of “”cord stopper”” would be the way to go..

(And again resist temptation to mess with the faceplate or any of the screws holding it)

& I much prefer butyl product to A/B epoxy, it’s remains malleable & takes shaping well..

** bond lug in the niche is also a common leaker, steel looks “cleaner” around the lug. Any chunks of delaminated epoxy sitting in bottom of niche?

Thanks so much for your response.

Here are more photos. https://imgur.com/a/vREXo

Water level has found its way to exactly halfway in the niche. Both colors of epoxy you see now were put in by the tech on Tuesday. The prior photos do show reflection. The pool tech did pull out old silicone type epoxy in the conduit. What just occurred to me yesterday is that we replaced the light fixture in March and that epoxy was there before and we didn’t know (only owned the home 2.5 years). What may have happened is that old expoxy re-sealed the conduit after the new light’s cord was pulled through the conduit, but ended up failing because that’s obviously not how it’s supposed to work. This is just a hypothesis.

The hole under the deck did stop filling and I have no idea what the deal with that is. It was still filling after the tech put that shoddy patch in, but has stopped since, but the pool level has continued dropping since Tuesday.

Anyway, I appreciate the help and I’ll buy a cord stopper. Do I chisel that epoxy out with a flat head screw driver?

Is it this one:

[FONT=&quot]Cord Stopper 2-Hole For 1” Niche And Hole For Bonding Ground

do I even need a bonding ground anymore since I’m 12v now??
[/FONT]

Yes you do, the niche is a metallic element.

Do yourself a favor & order the 1” & 3/4” units & chalk one up to research.. get a quality butyl tape,
Anderson brand is expensive (not really) but is cut so thin it’s easy to work with.

If a conduit is really shot, water pressure will dislodge the mastic, so the cord stopper & butyl is a good one two punch...

Removing A B epoxy can be a pain in the “shoulder” I find prying it is better than chiseling it..

Be mindful & take your time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you see anything else in the photos? Does my hypothesis sound plausible?

So what I’ll do is order the leak stopper. It looks like only a 1” comes with a bonding wire hole. How would you suggest using the 3/4” with the bonding wire?

- - - Updated - - -

And, what should I tape with the butyl tape?

They come in just about every 1 or 2 penetration out there..

You want the stopper with the slice in it, as this is all done without removing wires from conduit.

I like to remove bond from the lug, so I have more play, place both wires in stopper & recess it into hole.
I’d expect a boatload of epoxy back there that may get in your way.

Butyl is second defense, wrap around cord & recess into conduit, if you have room.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.