Pool leak, hire a leak detection/repair service?

Saturn94

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2015
SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This season we seem to be losing more water than usual, about 1/2” per day. I did a bucket test, and after 24hrs the pool water level was was 1/4” lower than the bucket water level. After 38 hrs the difference increased to 1/2”.

I know the past few seasons we’ve had a slow leak, about 1.5” per month, but was never able to find it (I tried the dye test without any luck). I figured it was so slow, it wasn’t worth pursuing any further. Now it seems the leak has gotten worse, or it’s a new one.

I don’t see any evidence of a leak around the equipment pad.

Is it bad enough to be worth hiring a leak detection company? If so, how do I go about getting a good one?

Do you have a multivalve on your DE filter? Be sure it is not leaking some to waste when on filter.

Do what Marty suggests first. Then if you see that is okay then do a search in your area of leak detection. We had to call one in to find the 3 tiny holes I could NOT find on my own. It took them 15 mins to locate it. Once I knew where to look I still had to really look close to find them. Hid not lose any more water once I put patches over them.

Kim:kim:

Do you have a multivalve on your DE filter? Be sure it is not leaking some to waste when on filter.

I do have a multivalve. I didn’t see any evidence of water coming from the waste pipe, or any leaks from around the valve. Last year I replaced the seals in the multivalve since it was getting hard to turn and was leaking a little around the handle. I didn’t replace the spider gasket since it still looked and felt in great shape.

Do what Marty suggests first. Then if you see that is okay then do a search in your area of leak detection. We had to call one in to find the 3 tiny holes I could NOT find on my own. It took them 15 mins to locate it. Once I knew where to look I still had to really look close to find them. Hid not lose any more water once I put patches over them.

Do you know what technique they used to find the leaks? I did a search here and found one of the TFP members who is “in the industry “ recommending finding a leak detection company that uses a device that uses an electric current and sensing device (I forget the name of the device). I found a couple local companies, but their web sites mention divers, so I assume they’re using the dye test. How effective is the dye test on slow leaks?

I should have mentioned that the liner is the original one, installed in March 2004.

Update......
A friend and I were in the pool chatting when I noticed a small dark spot on the wall. I thought it was dirt or debris, but when I tried to wipe it off with my hand I discovered it’s a small hole in the liner!

I don’t know if this single hole is responsible for the increased water lose we’ve been experiencing lately, or if there are others (couldn’t find any).

I’ve tried patching the liner before where I thought there might be a leak (before we’ve had very slow leak for a few seasons, about 1.5” per month). Applying a patch was very difficult at best and not sure I did a good job, and the very slow leak didn’t stop.

So, do I try to patch the new hole myself, or go ahead and have a pro do it who can also check the rest of the pool?

What do y’all think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update:

I got the patch kit and patched 3 small holes that I found (only ones I could see) the best I could. Of course all 3 where near the bottom of the wall where it’s hard to reach and see what I’m doing at the same time.

If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to break down and call a pro ($$$).

when my pool was leaking I hired a leak detection company and they pressure tested every inlet and return and showed I did not have a plumbing leak. This was a good first step.

They found my skimmer was leaking and patched it, and that took care of some of the problem but not all.

I later found water leaking out the back of my light niche into the conduit.

finding leaks is hard and ruling things out narrows down what the possible sources might be. For me the cost was worth it to prove I did not have a leak in the plumbing.

good luck.

I had to wear a mask help me find the tiny hole the leak detectors found. No way I could have found it without wearing the mask.

I am hopeful this will do it for you. Now make sure to use great care when you brush in that area. Don't want to mess up those patches!

Someone is coming out Tuesday to inspect the pool. If it’s just the liner needing patching, then it’ll be a just be couple hundred dollars. If it’s something more serious, well, don’t want to think about that right now.!

Two guys from the company came over yesterday to inspect and fix the pool. I wasn’t able to get out of work (stupid mandatory training.....that I’ve had before! ?). Fortunately, my spouse was home so relayed to me what they did.

They found and repaired 3 leaks, one around each skimmer, and one around the light (used dye test). They said the leaks they found would easily explain the amount of water loss we were experiencing. They said the liner looked good. I guess my amateur patch jobs were ok. ?

Before the fix water was dropping about 3/4” to almost 1” per day (including evaporation). From 4pm yesterday to 8am this morning, the water level dropped 1/4”. From 8am to 6pm today, it dropped another 1/16 or 2/16 at most. Definitely less than before. Hopefully just evaporation?

Speaking of evaporation, it seems the overnight loss rate was faster than during the day. Could this be because overnight the temp was in the mid to upper 70s and the water temp was in the upper 80s? The weather lately has been hot (almost 100° today), humid, and mostly sunny.

So does this sound like its fixed? Any loss has me paranoid now. ?

I guess the real test will be salt usage. Before the fix I was having to add at least 40lbs a week (using more CYA too) If all the leaks are fixed, salt usage should go WAY down!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.